What Happened To The " Friendship " At Friendship Market

oakweb

I like Friendship Market, they have stuff I need that other places don't. I've also been shopping there since I first came to Pattaya 20 years

ago. But today made me angry enough to do a post about an issue I see there and their " security guards ".

I understand their desire to control shoplifting. What I don't understand is their insistence to stop some ladies and have them check

their bags at the security counter. The counter in my opinion, does not seem that safe. Someone could accidentally pickup the wrong bag

going out, or have some other mishap there.

I went in there today and the older red eyed security guard wanted my wife's purse at the door. I think it's absolutely crazy to ask someone

to check their purse at the door that is going to go shopping inside. In her purse, like most women, they have their money, gold, and whatever

valuable items. Checking it behind the counter is not an option, unless she empties everything out and carries it with her.. ridiculous.

And what is worse, when I was trying to explain to him that this is unreasonable, I could easily spot several others in the store that had the same

size purses and bags walking around. Why did they want my wife's purse so much?

Note to Friendship Market - I like your store, I like your items, and most of your staff is great. But please, get a handle on your bag checkin

situation. If you have an issue with theft, setup cameras and train your guards how to watch and who to watch. Right now you are letting some

security guards scare away your customers, and creating a bad scene at the door.

The parking lot security guards are fine, never had an issue with them.

• Like 2

Women typically carry gold around in their purses...makes it even more easy for the grap and dash moto-mobs.

I can see your point but also understand the store's...and the guard is just doing what he has been told to do. I don't think it's unreasonable for a lady (or anyone with a bag) to be asked to deposit it at the front desk. I have done this innumerable times and never had a problem (not saying it couldn't and hasn't happened but I don't think it's very frequent). Usually, they give out number tags and you have to present it to claim the right bag. Like checked airline baggage, one should remove any valuable contents and either pocket it or in the case of women, usually inside their purse is a smaller wallet in which contains their money/credit cards and this should be removed and carried around the store.

As to Friendship in general, I have found the store to be very confusingly named...I have found the staff at Foodland, and all the other markets but Best, to be much more friendly.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

About six months ago I witnessed the Foodland security guards punching & kicking a middle aged white guy in the street in front of Foodland; he was not resisting. As I was driving by, I got out of my car & shouted at them to stop. They did immediately stop hitting him and walked him back into the supermarket. I believe he had shop lifted some stuff.

Edited by simple1

+1.

The security counter doesn't look that much secure.

I was recently asked to leave my bag there (a small one, but with a laptop inside) and decided that better come next time. Let the guard lose his face! :)

So if you carry an expensive stuff (e.g. laptop, camera, gold, or stuff like that), and you don't want to give them any chance of "accidental" disappearing your stuff, better consider a separate trip for shopping.

To be fair, the security guards do not insist. At least certainly not with foreigners. If I'm carrying valuables, I simply say no politely, though still go in to do my shopping. Never a cross word and always a smile when I leave. No need for bad feeling.

They don't want to have problems or to upset their customers. They simply don't want people to steal from them.

If they have had a few problems with the locals, they may have been asked to step up security.

Nevertheless, I only leave items when I want to leave them and they have never hassled me if I tell them I cannot. Just don't be confrontational. Everyone appreciates it. wai.gif

Interesting to hear your experience. My wife and I have been shopping there for years and I don't think they have ever asked her to leave her purse at the door. We typically only shop rather late in the evening and the security staff are always quite friendly. When we do happen to have our kids with us the guards always try and be playful with them.

Perhaps you happened in there after an incident had occurred and the guards got blamed as well as firm instructions to have all bags checked.

Soooooooooooo you have been shopping there for 20 years, you know and expect what usually happens when you go inside with a bag, yet you continue to go inside or your wife does with her bag? Staff and security have always been excellent with me always take an interest when I walk in with my son, the security guard plays with him and other staff take him away to show others. Never have been asked to put anything behind the counter, probably because I know this already so I dont bother going in there with a bag neither does my wife.

To be fair, the security guards do not insist. At least certainly not with foreigners. If I'm carrying valuables, I simply say no politely, though still go in to do my shopping. Never a cross word and always a smile when I leave. No need for bad feeling.

They don't want to have problems or to upset their customers. They simply don't want people to steal from them.

If they have had a few problems with the locals, they may have been asked to step up security.

Nevertheless, I only leave items when I want to leave them and they have never hassled me if I tell them I cannot. Just don't be confrontational. Everyone appreciates it. wai.gif

This has also been my experience.

I like Friendship Market, they have stuff I need that other places don't. I've also been shopping there since I first came to Pattaya 20 years

You must have been shopping there at least 6-7 years prior to their opening.

i think the OP was simply miffed by being asked to deposit a bag. You know you're liable to be asked to do it so why take a bag in the first place?

If you don't like the store policy shop elsewhere. Simple.

I had a problem years ago with the cashier. I tried to buy a cheap item with B1000 and the cashier did not want to make change and wanted smaller notes. So I said no and left the item on the counter. I get my change from the larger stores etc. I kind of took it personal. But I did get over it and have contimued for years with good service.

LLL

It was not just a "bag", it was her purse. Would anyone here want to shop somewhere that your wife has to check her purse

at the door? Would you want to shop there if you had to leave your valuables outside in your motorbike or car? It all seems

ridiculous to me.

This is just a stupid policy by the store. And it needs public eyes on it. Like I said, I like the

market, but hopefully this attention will make the owner buy some security cams or do something else other than asking

their customers to check their purses at the door. Which I should also mention that it seemed quite discriminatory about

the process. Others were walking in with little fuss.

I should mention, after about 2 minutes of arguing one of the check out girls just said, "Go go, never mind him". So maybe

it's just a problem with this one security guards.

You must have been shopping there at least 6-7 years prior to their opening.

No, like many others, he just shopped at their original, smaller location first. It's still there.

As to Friendship in general, I have found the store to be very confusingly named...I have found the staff at Foodland, and all the other markets but Best, to be much more friendly.

I agree. I usually shop there late at night and most of the checkout staff are unfriendly to the point of being quite rude. Sometimes they'll continue a conversation with their co-workers and not even offer eye contact. I don't even greet them anymore as that will often be ignored.

The Foodland staff are the best in Pattaya, hands down. It's always a pleasure to shop there, unfortunately the extra 10km round trip to Foodland means that I'll endure the unfriendly staff at Friendship for the sake of convenience.

Edit: I should mention that I find the security staff friendly there. My gripe is with the checkout staff.

Edited by tropo

I agree. I usually shop there late at night and most of the checkout staff are unfriendly to the point of being quite rude. Sometimes they'll continue a conversation with their co-workers and not even offer eye contact. I don't even greet them anymore as that will often be ignored.

The Foodland staff are the best in Pattaya, hands down. It's always a pleasure to shop there, unfortunately the extra 10km round trip to Foodland means that I'll endure the unfriendly staff at Friendship for the sake of convenience.

Edit: I should mention that I find the security staff friendly there. My gripe is with the checkout staff.

As a daily regular at between 07:45 and 08:00, I now know most of the check out girls and packing lads and always get a smile and quick Hello. There did use to be one girl with a major attitude, maybe they moved here to late shifts.

As a daily regular at between 07:45 and 08:00, I now know most of the check out girls and packing lads and always get a smile and quick Hello. There did use to be one girl with a major attitude, maybe they moved here to late shifts.

Maybe it's because I'm usually there after midnight and they're dying to go home, but the courtesy continues at Foodland until the break of dawn.