Too Bad There Aren't Any Sidewalks In Thailand.

rene123

Recently, a retired US war veteran with a physical disability moved into our Thai hotel. There is no elevator, so he is stuck on the ground floor. He can get around, but only with a walker. To go any distance he has to hire a tuk tuk or a taxi. He is a pleasant gentleman and we've talked a bit. I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him having to deal with the problems so common in Thailand for anyone with a disability. There really are no sidewalks in Thailand. They are all used to park motorbikes or display merchandise that keeps creeping further into the streets.What we take for granted in North America is not so common in the rest of the world.

I am a US war veteran with a war connected disability and I came to Thailand because I am treated better here than in North America. Just thought I would mention that..biggrin.png

Well that's good to hear,but it doesn't address the terrible state of the Sidewalks/Pavements,which negotiating at night can be a problem even for fit people.

I would think being in a wheelchair is even worse.

My offer of advice would be to keep using the tuk tuk and taxis.

If he finds one who is suitable, get their contact number and just bell them when required.

It is also convenient for the return journey to do like wise.

Normally it is easy to build a repore with regulars and they will usually take extra good care of customers, who use them on a regular basis and are sensitive to their needs ect..

marshbags thumbsup.gif

You can also take the wheelchair with you and use it in the off road safer area,s shopping malls ect, and keep some all important self independance.

Edited by marshbags

I am a US war veteran with a war connected disability and I came to Thailand because I am treated better here than in North America. Just thought I would mention that..biggrin.png

Well that's good to hear,but it doesn't address the terrible state of the Sidewalks/Pavements,which negotiating at night can be a problem even for fit people.

Some things are better in Thailand (my point) and somethings are better in North America. Constant complaining about Thailand not being like North America with it's trash and whistles and such is hardly going to help anything. It just makes one crazy. smile.png

Good for you, Chiangmaikelly. I commend your ability to make a life choice and accept it. And yes, there a many things better in Thailand than North America. However, you can't deny that if Thailand had sideWALKs that it wouldn't be easier for you to get around. I'm reasonably young and fit and I can dance around in Thai traffic without getting mowed down by some truck roaring down narrow sois at excessive speed. I have learned to be aware 100 percent of the time of everything around me at any time of the day or night. I never trust traffic to obey traffic lights or crosswalks. I don't normally think about it from other's perspectives until I talked to the war veteran the other day.

The pavements are, indeed, appalling but the biggest inconvenience is the daft placement of street furniture and the multitudes of hawkers, food sellers, scooters (parked and in motion) and street bars that obstruct free movement. I've seen the expressions on many ordinary Thais when they have to navigate their way through the chaos and, although they're not disposed to complaining about it, they're definitely as pissed off as many foreigners.

If it starts to grate, try to look at it like a "random" setting workout on an elliptical trainer/stepmaster.

• Like 1

I do remember reading the hysterically funny Bill Bryson (an American who has lived in the UK for a long time) - in 'A Walk in the Woods' he commented that in many US towns there aren't any sidewalks as everyone just drives. One good aspect of central Bangkok is the 'Sky walk-way' under the BTS line around the MBK-Central World area, if only the authorities might extend that under every BTS line instead of giving tax rebates for car purchases. But, yes, between Paragon and Central world there are steps to negotiate so Thailand could do better.

• Like 1

Good for you, Chiangmaikelly. I commend your ability to make a life choice and accept it. And yes, there a many things better in Thailand than North America. However, you can't deny that if Thailand had sideWALKs that it wouldn't be easier for you to get around. I'm reasonably young and fit and I can dance around in Thai traffic without getting mowed down by some truck roaring down narrow sois at excessive speed. I have learned to be aware 100 percent of the time of everything around me at any time of the day or night. I never trust traffic to obey traffic lights or crosswalks. I don't normally think about it from other's perspectives until I talked to the war veteran the other day.

I know a number of disabled people in Thailand. They chose to live here because it is easier for them to get around than in the West. To a man though they have chosen to use Thailand to make their lives easier instead of dwelling on those things in Thailand that could make their lives difficult.

Kind of like it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness.

I would think being in a wheelchair is even worse.

For sure it is.

Especially if you use one of those wheelchair ramps they made on the footpaths in Pattaya and find a lamp post in the middle of it.

clap2.gif

I think I remember seeing that one and just shook my head in wonderment. laugh.png

I know a number of disabled people in Thailand. They chose to live here because it is easier for them to get around than in the West. To a man though they have chosen to use Thailand to make their lives easier instead of dwelling on those things in Thailand that could make their lives difficult.

Kind of like it is better to light one candle than curse the darkness.

The level of disability would need to be included if your observation was to be considered valid. Look around, do you see basic accessibility for people with moderate to serious mobility disabilities? No you do not, because it does not exist. It is extremely difficult for these people to get around. How is it that in Thailand with its high level of vehicle derived injuries that one never sees such people? How about all the people form the past decade that are missing legs due to the IEDs and other explosive devices? There are tens of thousands of them, but they are practically invisible. It is because these people are prisoners in their homes, not being able to get around. The lack of community infrastructure costs Thailand. These are people that are still productive, and yet they cannot get to the workplaces.

You have been around long enough to know; never to mention anything personal on Thai Visa. Heck the folks here can turn eye color into a major crime let alone a war related disability. I don't want to go through the three pages of war monger posts again.

Every society can improve. Thailand can improve. A lot of people with disabilities have chosen to live here because of the acceptance of disabilities in Thailand as opposed to the West.

It is a glass half full argument. Are sidewalks more important than feeling like a normal person? Up to you. Thailand has work arounds for almost anything. I have some disabled friends so I know.

How stupid can this get? Do we want the whole world to be one big, amorphous mass where all the shops, food, movies, culture etc are all the same?

One of the reasons I have enjoyed travelling and living in different countries over the years was that I saw and experienced something different; I was tired of walking around towns in the UK that were essentially all the same (many of the old shops of character had died out).

If you want sidewalks, go to a country that has sidewalks. Don't try and change Thailand to make it fit what you want. Either love it or leave it.

I thank you.

How stupid can this get? Do we want the whole world to be one big, amorphous mass where all the shops, food, movies, culture etc are all the same?

One of the reasons I have enjoyed travelling and living in different countries over the years was that I saw and experienced something different; I was tired of walking around towns in the UK that were essentially all the same (many of the old shops of character had died out).

If you want sidewalks, go to a country that has sidewalks. Don't try and change Thailand to make it fit what you want. Either love it or leave it.

I thank you.

using your line of reasoning then you would agree with how Nepal handles their rubbish problem. Check it out on youtube.

• Like 1

I thank you.

many people dont want to move. they would rather change things where they are.

if you dont like it, move.

using your line of reasoning then you would agree with how Nepal handles their rubbish problem. Check it out on youtube.

Er, no.

crazy.gif

Out here in the boonies, no sidewalks and not very many cars I see a couple of guys that get around in their hand driven wheel chairs, I see one guy sometimes miles from home. But I guess that without some kind of support network you can't just move to a village.