Changing Face Of Soi 33. Younger Crowd.

chiangmaikelly

Stick's latest is an interview with one major players on Soi 33. Quotes, “I also see many younger people coming to Bangkok now and visiting the sex tourist entertainment areas. This surprises me. I always ask myself if those younger guys can't get laid. Why do they have to participate in the sex industry at such a young age? Do you see this?

Yeah, I do. For sure, there are way more young guys in the bars these days and young expats in general.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Livingstones-Bangkok.htm

What age do they consider young? Are these guys 18, 25, 30, 35?

What have you seen, from your own experience?

No not me; the Burgermeister - German for mayor. He lives in the soi, works in the soi and in Livingstone's he has a significant investment in the soi. As owner and general manager of the boutique hotel, restaurant and bar that sits right in the heart of soi 33, he has a unique perspective of what's going on at soi 33. I would assume by young Stick and the Burgermeister mean under retirement age. 20 to 40's.

From what I have seen on that soi, theres no need for a unique perspective, its dead.

Owners stuck in the past, unwilling or unable to keep pace with the changing demographics of Bkk and its visitors.

Take a walk down Suk soi 4 and ask yourself why this area is busy and soi 33 is dead, perhaps the Burgermeister could incorporate a few ideas from the owners on soi 4.

^^^^^^ I dont know what you're trying to say or ask.

One area of Bkk is dead or dying another is thriving, perhaps the bar owners of the dead area should ask themselves why.

Yes I am well aware there are other areas of Bkk, but they are mainly catering to, Thais, Japanese or a younger Thai crowd.

15 years ago BSJ village was on its way out, 10 years ago WS was on its way out, 5 years ago the rot had set in at soi 33, right now QP on soi 22 is probably dying a slow death.

The problem a lot of these places have is they are off the tourist track, how many farangs are aware of or venture to Ratchada?

Why did soi 7/1 take off and other areas didnt?

Whilst soi 4 may not be to everyones taste, there can be no denying its where most of the bars frequented by tourists are located.

Why? Cheap accomodation, ease of access, it gives the punters what they want, cheap beer and tits, plus plenty of farang food easily available.

For fun I usually venture to, Lat Prao, Srinakarin or Ram, yes way better than soi 4, but thats neither here nor there.

Edited by rgs2001uk

One area of Bkk is dead or dying another is thriving, perhaps the bar owners of the dead area should ask themselves why.

Yes I am well aware there are other areas of Bkk, but they are mainly catering to, Thais, Japanese or a younger Thai crowd.

15 years ago BSJ village was on its way out, 10 years ago WS was on its way out, 5 years ago the rot had set in at soi 33, right now QP on soi 22 is probably dying a slow death.

The problem a lot of these places have is they are off the tourist track, how many farangs are aware of or venture to Ratchada?

Whilst soi 4 may not be to everyones taste, there can be no denying its where most of the bars frequented by tourists are located.

Why? Cheap accomodation, ease of access, it gives the punters what they want, cheap beer and tits, plus plenty of farang food easily available.

For fun I usually venture to, Lat Prao, Srinakarin or Ram, yes way better than soi 4, but thats neither here nor there.

A few years ago the punters were mostly old guys. Now according to Stickman and the German guy the age of the punters has decreased drastically. The question was why? Why do young guys have to pay for it?

I think why you have a lot more younger guys is probably not that they cant get laid at home but when u go to Pattaya, Soi Cowboy etc you know what your getting. Without going into detail you get a package. The girls do things maybe that your average girl in your hometown might not do.

Also there is the knowledge that you dont have to romance them the next day as after all it is a service. I also know that there are freebies, obviously not completely free( a few drinks and some food) especially amongst the freelancer crowds and a 1000/2000 Baht is not alot to these guys even if they have to pay.

A lot of girls play the good girl card and try to convince the guy this is a potential relationship to snare a sponsership from Farangland wether its for a month or longer.

I think one of the reasons Soi 33 is not as busy as it was a couple of years ago, is that there are less expats here.

The tourists are still coming, and they head to Nana or Cowboy, but not many venture further down than that. Soi 33 is more of an expat hang out, and since 2008 there are less of them.

A few years ago the punters were mostly old guys. Now according to Stickman and the German guy the age of the punters has decreased drastically. The question was why? Why do young guys have to pay for it?

A few years ago the punters were mostly old guys

Well that depends on how you define a few years ago and old guys.

A few years ago the punters were certainly not old guys, in fact after the '97 fiasco the demographics of Bkk changed, cheaper costs, cheaper flights, 45 to the $ etc etc.

Thats one of the things that killed WS, the old guys dying off and not being replaced by newer arrivals.

Most of the guys you see in soi 4 are passing through enroute to elsewhere, Pattaya, Phuket or upcountry, I read somewhere the average tourist spends about 3-4 days in Bkk.

These same guys work in places such as the ME, O&G or such prime postings as Iraq and Afghanistan, then we have the latest recruits, FIFO guys.

Just because these guys are frequenting these bars doesnt mean they are paying for it, many use these places because the bars give them what they want, cheap beer and rock n roll music.

Another poster rightly mentioned, a lot of the old expats are gone, jobs disappeared or taken over by a Thai.

More than a few on here will remember the good old days of a certain bar in soi 4, you could walk in on a Sat afternoon, get on the piss and be offered a job such as a surveyor starting the following Monday, those days are long gone.

There are other expat bars in the same area, but the clientel is decreasing, other bars are being forced out by rent costs.

As to where the German or Stickman get their info from I dont know.

A few years ago the punters were mostly old guys

Well that depends on how you define a few years ago and old guys.

A few years ago the punters were certainly not old guys, in fact after the '97 fiasco the demographics of Bkk changed, cheaper costs, cheaper flights, 45 to the $ etc etc.

Thats one of the things that killed WS, the old guys dying off and not being replaced by newer arrivals.

Most of the guys you see in soi 4 are passing through enroute to elsewhere, Pattaya, Phuket or upcountry, I read somewhere the average tourist spends about 3-4 days in Bkk.

These same guys work in places such as the ME, O&G or such prime postings as Iraq and Afghanistan, then we have the latest recruits, FIFO guys.

Just because these guys are frequenting these bars doesnt mean they are paying for it, many use these places because the bars give them what they want, cheap beer and rock n roll music.

Another poster rightly mentioned, a lot of the old expats are gone, jobs disappeared or taken over by a Thai.

More than a few on here will remember the good old days of a certain bar in soi 4, you could walk in on a Sat afternoon, get on the piss and be offered a job such as a surveyor starting the following Monday, those days are long gone.

There are other expat bars in the same area, but the clientel is decreasing, other bars are being forced out by rent costs.

As to where the German or Stickman get their info from I dont know.

You must not have read the article.smile.png Because everything you have written is contradicted. To be expected I guess. Talking without reading is kind of a Thai Visa tradition. smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

^^^^^^ No havent read the article, why should I?

Everything has been contradicted by whom?

"To be expected I guess"

Agreed, shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet.

Because everything you have written is wrong and is dealt with in the article. It is the fair use policy not to quote a whole article only a couple of sentences. The idea is to get you to read the article and form an intelligent opinion and comment.

Believe the INTERNET? All of the major news sources in the world are published on the INTERNET daily. What are you on about? Read it. If you don't believe it say so and why. Anything else is nonsense.

• Like 1

"To be expected I guess"

Because everything you have written is wrong and is dealt with in the article. It is the fair use policy not to quote a whole article only a couple of sentences. The idea is to get you to read the article and form an intelligent opinion and comment.

Believe the INTERNET? All of the major news sources in the world are published on the INTERNET daily. What are you on about? Read it. If you don't believe it say so and why. Anything else is nonsense.

Ok so you say everything I have written is wrong, but you chose to beleive another article, fine, doesnt bother me.

What I have written is my observations, I dare say SM wrote the Boxheads observations, which at the end of the day are only his opinions, no more right or wrong than mine, the problem with opinions they are like <deleted>, everyone has one.

Anyway feel free to copy and paste my comments to the author of the article and ask him to comment, or ask his source to comment.

All of the major news sources in the world are published on the INTERNET daily.

So which one should I believe, Fox or CNN?

Al Jazeera or the BBC?

If you don't believe it say so and why

As mentioned before I havent read it, but I have stated my opinion, same as the author, as mentioned before contact the author and ask him to comment on my comments.

BTW, you live where?

"To be expected I guess"

Ok so you say everything I have written is wrong, but you chose to beleive another article, fine, doesnt bother me.

What I have written is my observations, I dare say SM wrote the Boxheads observations, which at the end of the day are only his opinions, no more right or wrong than mine, the problem with opinions they are like <deleted>, everyone has one.

Anyway feel free to copy and paste my comments to the author of the article and ask him to comment, or ask his source to comment.

Al Jazeera or the BBC?

As mentioned before I havent read it, but I have stated my opinion, same as the author, as mentioned before contact the author and ask him to comment on my comments.

BTW, you live where?

I live in Thailand. Ergo I read Stickman's weekly column which is one of the most read if not the most read weekly Thai centric column and has been for years. I mentioned one small part of a larger article that you took apart. OK but according to Stick and a German hotel owner in Bangkok, both of whom are long time Bangkok residents do not agree with you. I told you. If you want to find out why read the thing. If not don't. I don't care.

I read two pieces of information about the age of punters among other things in Thailand in general and Bangkok in particular. Stick is right and you are wrong in my opinion. If you want to find out why read Stick. If you don't, up to you. Why would I care?

If you want to comment about an article it behooves one to read the said article.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

"To be expected I guess"

Al Jazeera or the BBC?

BTW, you live where?

I live in Thailand. Ergo I read Stickman's weekly column which is one of the most read if not the most read weekly Thai centric column and has been for years. I mentioned one small part of a larger article that you took apart. OK but according to Stick and a German hotel owner in Bangkok, both of whom are long time Bangkok residents do not agree with you. I told you. If you want to find out why read the thing. If not don't. I don't care.

I read two pieces of information about the age of punters among other things in Thailand in general and Bangkok in particular. Stick is right and you are wrong in my opinion. If you want to find out why read Stick. If you don't, up to you. Why would I care?

If you want to comment about an article it behooves one to read the said article.smile.png

Ok like you I also live in Thailand, Bkk to be exact, you live where?

Yes there is no doubt his is the #1 Thailand site and has been for years, your point is?

OK but according to Stick and a German hotel owner in Bangkok, both of whom are long time Bangkok residents do not agree with you.

Fine up to them, in fact I dont agree with them, but who cares, define long term resident of Bkk, I will wager i have been here longer than SM, but what does that prove, nothing.

I only state my observations, I dare same the same is true for SM.

Exactly why should I care, you dont live in Bkk so why should I believe what you chose to write.

BTW, still havent answered where do you live?

Al Jazeera or the BBC?

BTW, you live where?

Ok like you I also live in Thailand, Bkk to be exact, you live where?

Yes there is no doubt his is the #1 Thailand site and has been for years, your point is?

OK but according to Stick and a German hotel owner in Bangkok, both of whom are long time Bangkok residents do not agree with you.

Fine up to them, in fact I dont agree with them, but who cares, define long term resident of Bkk, I will wager i have been here longer than SM, but what does that prove, nothing.

I only state my observations, I dare same the same is true for SM.

Exactly why should I care, you dont live in Bkk so why should I believe what you chose to write.

BTW, still havent answered where do you live?

I realize you are trying to bait me but it is not really me you should be baiting or bickering with. You have a disagreement with Stickman. Read the article and comment if you like. If you don't; don't.

See, I know more about it than you. I know what your wrote and what Stickman wrote. You don't. biggrin.png

I realize you are trying to bait me but it is not really me you should be baiting or bickering with. You have a disagreement with Stickman. Read the article and comment if you like. If you don't; don't.

See, I know more about it than you. I know what your wrote and what Stickman wrote. You don't. biggrin.png

Not trying to bait you at all, in fact we apprentices stand at the altar of you Old Timers.

No one is right or wrong, a mere difference of opinion.

I have no need to read the article, in fact I havent read his site for years, its of no use or interest to me.

Yes by mere virtue of age you probably know more than I, but you still havent mentioned where you live.

Work first brought me to Bkk in 1986, how about your hero SM, how long has he been here?

I dont have a disagrement with SM, you made a post, some people commented, I made some comments. for details. see posts # 8 & 9.

Feel free to send these comments off to SM, they tell me he answers every e-mail.

Dont know what happened to this post, TV at its best, got confused with another, sorry dear reader.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Not trying to bait you at all, in fact we apprentices stand at the altar of you Old Timers.

I have no need to read the article, in fact I havent read his site for years, its of no use or interest to me.

Yes by mere virtue of age you probably know more than I, but you still havent mentioned where you live.

Work first brought me to Bkk in 1986, how about your hero SM, how long has he been here?

I dont have a disagrement with SM, you made a post, some people commented, I made some comments. for details. see posts # 8 & 9.

Feel free to send these comments off to SM, they tell me he answers every e-mail.

Dont know what happened to this post, TV at its best, got confused with another, sorry dear reader.

It is confusing perhaps I can summarize. I posted two sentences of a rather long Stickman article about the changing face of Soi 33. Without reading the article you have chosen to comment on it.

It is rather like saying the bible is BS after having read two sentences. Of course it may be and you may be correct. smile.png

It is confusing perhaps I can summarize. I posted two sentences of a rather long Stickman article about the changing face of Soi 33. Without reading the article you have chosen to comment on it.

It is rather like saying the bible is BS after having read two sentences. Of course it may be and you may be correct. smile.png

It is rather like saying the bible is BS

Finally something we can agree on, nothing against The Bible, but as an atheist I have no time for oraganized religion in any shape or form.

It is rather like saying the bible is BS

Finally something we can agree on, nothing against The Bible, but as an atheist I have no time for oraganized religion in any shape or form.

Kind of like going to college and taking a course on religion to have a firm basis for your belief in atheism and refusing to read the bible.

Is it true that most of the well paid expat jobs have gone? I would have thought that would have happened after 1998 rather than 2008 as Thailand weathered the global financial crisis reasonably well, so companies should have kept their operations up in one of the few strong markets.

Although I hadn't been to Soi 33 for years and took a trip recently and its a pathetic shadow of its former self. What a shame. It made a nice change to have a polite, nicely dressed girl pour your drink rather than some tatooed foul mouthed drunken pro demand one

I don't normally like to interrupt a heated pissing contest, but just this once.

rgs, why don't you just read the article already? It'll take you only a few minutes. That's really the whole intent of this thread, isn't it? The article? Then maybe you guys can resume your pissing contest with more vigor.

The article is not like James Joyce's ULYSSES, for crying out loud.

I glossed over 90% of it in about eight minutes...

By the way, I thought Stickman was disillusioned with life in Thailand? Did he decide to stick around afterall, or is he just on a visit from his native New Zealand?

I don't normally like to interrupt a heated pissing contest, but just this once.

rgs, why don't you just read the article already? It'll take you only a few minutes. That's really the whole intent of this thread, isn't it? The article? Then maybe you guys can resume your pissing contest with more vigor.

I just asked him a simple question. Why are the young guys paying for it now. When I lived in Thailand in my 20's I don't remember shelling out much cash for company. But he seems to have taken it as a point of honor to be able to comment about things he has not read or wants me to spoon feed him the information which I refused to do.smile.png

Stick's latest is an interview with one major players on Soi 33. Quotes, “I also see many younger people coming to Bangkok now and visiting the sex tourist entertainment areas. This surprises me. I always ask myself if those younger guys can't get laid. Why do they have to participate in the sex industry at such a young age? Do you see this?

Yeah, I do. For sure, there are way more young guys in the bars these days and young expats in general.

The younger guys can get laid at home but my guess is that with the widespread availability of free porn on the internet and any number of extremely convenient ways of accessing it, they're keen to try sexual things that girls in their peer groups at home may not be up for.

20 years ago, a young man seeking vivid sexual imagery to try emulate had to sneak a peek at the top-shelf magazines and risk being thrown out of the newsagent.

They can't afford the better-looking boilers in Farangland but £20-40 for a pretty, slim and smooth-skinned Thai hottie is a bargain.

The younger guys can get laid at home but my guess is that with the widespread availability of free porn on the internet and any number of extremely convenient ways of accessing it, they're keen to try sexual things that girls in their peer groups at home may not be up for.

20 years ago, a young man seeking vivid sexual imagery to try emulate had to sneak a peek at the top-shelf magazines and risk being thrown out of the newsagent.

They can't afford the better-looking boilers in Farangland but £20-40 for a pretty, slim and smooth-skinned Thai hottie is a bargain.

I have always found Thai women even the pros to be almost Victorian in their desire for sexual experimentation. Apparently this has not been your experience?