Pacemaker Advice

sezzo

I had a pacemaker inserted in 2009 due to a heart block and everything is fine. My cardiologist in Oz says everything is fine and to continue on with life. I am now living over here in Ubon Ratchathani where we have a farm. I have got one of thos brush cutters with the handlebars which I dont like using and am looking at buying a backpack brushcutter where the engine is carried on your back on a harness.

Im a bit concerned whether the close proximity of the engine to my pacemaker may cause some changes to the pacemaker settings. I avoid the walk through metal detectors at airports etc but wondering if the brushcutter might cause similar problems.

Thanks

You will have been given a pacemaker "identification card" at the time your pacemaker was implanted. This will include information about the device manufacturer and your cardiologist.

Any questions about your pacemaker should be directed to either your cardiologist or the device manufacturer.

As you are now living in Thailand I presume you will be making arrangements for your pacemaker to be checked on a regular basis.

Edited by jrtmedic

Yes I have got my pacemaker ID card in my wallet at all times. I was just hoping that someone may have some experience or advice for me. Not to worry I will contact my cardiologist in Oz. BTW I will be making an appointment with a cardiologist in the new year for annual checkup. As I am in Ubon I will probably have to go to BKK to see a cardiologist, does anyone have any recommendations for me. I prefer one who has good english skills as there is only so much my wife can translate for me.

Thanks

Hi sezzo

This thread may be of some assistance.

http://www.thaivisa....center-in-isan/

Thanks for the link tig28. I do know that the only hospital in Ubon that has the facilities to check a pacemaker is Sapahsit Hospital which is a government hospital and is always overflowing with patients and obviously overworked doctors. I have had dealings with some doctors who work there and I have not been impressed. Their level of english is not good enough for me to feel satisfied that I am being told everything that I need to know. I said in my previous post there is a lot of things that get lost in translation when dealing with Thai doctors in rural posts. Therefore I have no problems going to BKK to see a cardiologist for a check up. I will be in BKK in Apr for a few days prior to going to Vietnam for a holiday so I thought I would have a check up done then. Getting stuff locally is preferable but I would rather spend a few extra baht and have a high level of reassurance in getting things explained to me to my satisfaction.

Appreciate the info