Tour Bus Crash Kills 4 Including A Norwegian Tourist

webfact

Tour bus crash kills 4 including a Norwegian tourist

By Staff Reporter

Tourist Bus crashes, killing 4 passengers including a Norwegian Tourist

TAK: -- On Tuesday morning, Police reported a tourist bus is reported to have crashed on the Mae Sot-Tak Highway near Tak, as it travelled with nearly 50 passengers toward Bangkok.

The Norwegian, who is as yet un-named but said to be around 40 years of age, died alongside a Burmese man and a Thai couple.

30, passengers were injured, 10 of the seriously as the coach driver [more...]

Full story: http://www.pattaya103.com/norwegian-killed-bus-crash-thailan/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-12-11

footer_n.gif

"30, passengers were injured, 10 of the seriously as the coach driver is said to have lost control on a notorious curve in the road which, according to officials, is a regular crash site."

Pattaya 103FM

Who would have guessed?

My condolences etc to the victim/s. As previously stated, more to come. That road is a decent but very winding road with heavy trucks struggling to make the hills. Just another inexperienced driver behind the wheel. Crossing double yellow lines whilst going down a steep grade at speed gets you extra points and bragging rights in the bus station .

Too bad.

• Like 1

Tourists should be careful to take tour buses that have 100% farang travelers. This would be one solid way to assure more professional, regulated drivers, as well as vehicle safety, law enforcement, and highway routing, scheduling, and safety. It won't eliminate these accidents, but it might help cut down on farang deaths as the result of Thai negligence. The operators and drivers are apt to be more safety oriented if the bus only carries foreigners.

Tour bus crash kills 4 including a Norwegian tourist (updated)

By Staff Reporter

bus1.jpg

TAK: -- On Tuesday morning, Police reported a tourist bus is reported to have crashed on the Mae Sot-Tak Highway near Tak, as it travelled with nearly 50 passengers toward Bangkok.

The Norwegian, who is now named as Mr. Mark Steyn, 40 years of age, died alongside a Burmese man and a Thai couple.

30, passengers were injured, 10 of the seriously as the coach driver is said to have lost control on a notorious curve in the road which, according to officials, is a regular crash site.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...-crash-thailan/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-12-12

footer_n.gif

Tourists should be careful to take tour buses that have 100% farang travelers. This would be one solid way to assure more professional, regulated drivers, as well as vehicle safety, law enforcement, and highway routing, scheduling, and safety. It won't eliminate these accidents, but it might help cut down on farang deaths as the result of Thai negligence. The operators and drivers are apt to be more safety oriented if the bus only carries foreigners.

First of all, what on earth makes you think they would be more careful with foreigners? Is that just a guess, or do you have any reference or evidence to back up that claim? My guess is the driver has no clue nor any care of who sits behind him!

Secondly, even if you are right about the above, then unless you are checking each passenger, and you make sure you are buying the very last available ticket, how exactly are you (as a foreigner) supposed to ensure there is only foreigners on the bus?

Many European or US American tour- operators simply demand higher safety- standards.

And most of them even follow up on them.

That means 2 drivers in a bus, driving- breaks for the drivers of vans, safety- belts etc.

In fact, the chances to get better trained, better rested drivers and safer vehicles, if you travel with a company that deals a lot with "farang" are clearly higher.

Just love your reasoning, the only problem with it is, that it is badly flawed.

By Staff Reporter

bus1.jpg

The Norwegian, who is now named as Mr. Mark Steyn, 40 years of age, died alongside a Burmese man and a Thai couple.

30, passengers were injured, 10 of the seriously as the coach driver is said to have lost control on a notorious curve in the road which, according to officials, is a regular crash site.

pattaya_103_fm.png

footer_n.gif

Shame they didn't inform the driver that it's a regular crash site - nothing like keeping up the batting average.

First of all, what on earth makes you think they would be more careful with foreigners? Is that just a guess, or do you have any reference or evidence to back up that claim? My guess is the driver has no clue nor any care of who sits behind him!

Secondly, even if you are right about the above, then unless you are checking each passenger, and you make sure you are buying the very last available ticket, how exactly are you (as a foreigner) supposed to ensure there is only foreigners on the bus?

Many European or US American tour- operators simply demand higher safety- standards.

That means 2 drivers in a bus, driving- breaks for the drivers of vans, safety- belts etc.

In fact, the chances to get better trained, better rested drivers and safer vehicles, if you travel with a company that deals a lot with "farang" are clearly higher.

I guess I will have to take your word for your "facts" then, as you have not provided a shred of statistics, evidence or reference to back up your claim.

However, it does not matter how many drivers you put in a bus or how many breaks they have if they drive way above the speed limit, which the article suggests. Further, there seems to be very few of those safe farang operated companies around, because I cannot recall ever having seen a bus (or van) that drove below the speed limit (unless forced to by other traffic). Is that a common sight in your area?

the trouble with thais is they wont get up a say anything to the drivers, as a falang i dont giv a shit i get up and tell them there stupid driving. many times ive been up and down the range going to korat in both bus and car driven by me..safer.., and the buses are overtaking every thing going up or down forcing car and trucks over to the left, but never seen a cop on this stretch of the road, only a few kms on when they pull u up tell u been speeding..yeh right..

When are they going to limit the speed of the busses to 90 it's a simple and cheap device. Also why not ban ALL heavy traffic including top loaded pickups from the right lane not just under threat of getting a fine but impound the truck/bus for a day or two along with a hefty fine for the owner as well as the driver when they get caught in the right lane. It worked really well in europa

Sri Racha Tour who hold the concession for buses on the Sri Racha to Bangkok route already have speed limited the drivers. The difference is amazing.

I guess I will have to take your word for your "facts" then, as you have not provided a shred of statistics, evidence or reference to back up your claim.

However, it does not matter how many drivers you put in a bus or how many breaks they have if they drive way above the speed limit, which the article suggests. Further, there seems to be very few of those safe farang operated companies around, because I cannot recall ever having seen a bus (or van) that drove below the speed limit (unless forced to by other traffic). Is that a common sight in your area?

It is a common sight in my profession....tourism!

By the way: better trained or better rested drivers or safer vehicles NEVER keep you safe from human idiocy! They just give you better chances of survival, when you crash! If you are a moron, who is always speeding, an airbag will not keep you from crashing...but you might survive it.

It is a common sight in my profession....tourism!

By the way: better trained or better rested drivers or safer vehicles NEVER keep you safe from human idiocy! They just give you better chances of survival, when you crash! If you are a moron, who is always speeding, an airbag will not keep you from crashing...but you might survive it.

I agree, I will make sure to to check my airbag the next time I take a farang owned tour bus in Thailand :-)

• Like 1

Or at least ensure that you'll spend so long at the gem store and the overpriced restaurant/gift shop in the middle of nowhere that you won't get the chance to crash. On the rare occasions I use a bus I go for the blue government ones on the basis that they stand a slightly better chance of being maintained, and a slightly lesser chance that the driver has been up popping pills for the last 36 hours trying to make an extra few thousand baht or die trying (taking 50 others along with him).

When I see some God awful contraption with murals down the side, a 60,000 watt stereo system and half a million lights, then I stay well away.

• Like 1

Yes, and I believe NakonChai Air (NCA) is probably the best that can be had. Run like an airline, fewer passengers, roll attendant, seat belts and seats that go way back for sleeping (depending on the class of service purchased, I suppose). Rolled with them a few times and would bet they have an excellent safety record (by Thai standards, of course). Can anyone confirm this? My GF was badly bruised when her VIP bus ended up on its side in a gully coming from Sisaket. She'll go only NCA now, even though it's more expensive.:

http://www.nakhonchaiair.com/index.php

Edited by MaxYakov

When are they going to limit the speed of the busses to 90 it's a simple and cheap device. Also why not ban ALL heavy traffic including top loaded pickups from the right lane not just under threat of getting a fine but impound the truck/bus for a day or two along with a hefty fine for the owner as well as the driver when they get caught in the right lane. It worked really well in europa

the idea is there as are the good intentions , but i know that the conversation between the overloaded pick-up and the police would go something like this , BIB; "you know you were speeding and that your overloaded "? DRIVER ;" yes , sorry khun bib" .BIB; ok , we take your truck now , tomorrow you can pay 2000b and get it back " . DRIVER; " can i give you 500b to forget it ?". BIB; 500b eh,....forget what ?, where are you heading kap ? .........ok,...bye bye ........,oh, and get those bald tyres changed this year sometime ., sweaty crap , bai leaw Edited by osiboy

If you refer back to my earlier post, speed limiting has successfully been implemented by one government concession-holding bus company and probably many more.

osiboy: It has nothing really to do with the police.

It is achieved by recording the GPS info from each trip and sacking speeding drivers. A cheap and effective solution if the company is serious about speeding.

Regular crash site ......... so that means ...........?

Obviously, they do nothing to make the road safer as that takes intelligence, motivation, concern and a desire to do the right thing. And of course the spending of money rather than the skimming right down to the bottom.

So more will die on the same curve.

As for driving standards, hazard perception or safety .............................. or even slowing down!!!

Forget it.

Has anyone ever seen a bus in Thailand going less than 110-120 km/h? Or a bus driving in the left (inner) lane for that matter?

Amen! I was driving back from Ko Lanta to Phuket one time, travelling at about 110kph. A bus passed us heading for Phuket. Although I knew the way I said to my wife we'll just follow the bus. Wrong. Within one kilometre the bus had shot off down the highway out of sight. The road was straight and I guess it must have been doing at least 130 - 140 kph. maybe more.

By Staff Reporter

bus1.jpg

pattaya_103_fm.png

footer_n.gif

That road had a few curves, but there is nothing particularly difficult about driving along it certainly not compared with some mountainous roads in China, Nepal or Pakistan. These bus drivers (and many drivers of cars) drive along that road much more regularly than I do (I've only driven between Tak and Mae Sot about 5 times in total) and yet still get themselves into trouble. Last time I drove along that route in a Lao registered car with left-hand drive steering and I managed to pass through safely. Sad to see what happened to the victims including the 2 foreigners who died.