Check This Falang Out, Fluent Issan Kruu Adam.

krisb

I can speak Thai Issan (Laos) and let me tell you they soon tire of falungfs speaking their language. Most of them don't like it and I have even been told I am "kee nock" (worthless)because I can speak Laos. It is not much fun speaking to these people in the villages. been there and done it yawn yawn !!!!

• Like 1

I can speak Thai Issan (Laos) and let me tell you they soon tire of falungfs speaking their language. Most of them don't like it and I have even been told I am "kee nock" (worthless)because I can speak Laos. It is not much fun speaking to these people in the villages. been there and done it yawn yawn !!!!

Doesn't 'kee nok' mean 'stingy'?

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

You must hang out with some pretty low class kind of people if that is the reaction you get.

• Like 2

You must hang out with some pretty low class kind of people if that is the reaction you get.

Agree. Sorry find his story hard to believe.

Doesn't 'kee nok' mean 'stingy'?

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

It means bird shit

• Like 1

ขี้นก (kheeF nohkH)

yes literally: bird shit.

In reality it stands for (thai-language.com):

fake; phoney; bogus; spurious; pretended; feigned; sham; low-class; inferior; insignificant; meaningless; worthless

It is an offensive insult and there is no reason to smile at if a Thai tells you like that.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

ขี้นก (kheeF nohkH)

fake; phoney; bogus; spurious; pretended; feigned; sham; low-class; inferior; insignificant; meaningless; worthless

It is an offensive insult and there is no reason to smile at if a Thai tells you like that.

It also means that you don't have money. Absolutely no money. Thais in my wife's village would never call me that.

It's like saying Kwai to a Thai......biggrin.png

Seems that speaking "Isaan" with you isn't fun for them either.....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I am envious but still cannot see any need to wear a dish cloth round my head(local silk or not)? Suppose its marginally better than the 'God Botherers' shirt and ties! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Or those terrible 'good guy goes to heaven bad guy goes to Pattaya' t shirts!
  • Like 1

ขี้นก (kheeF nohkH)

Similar to "bull shit" in the American English venacular.

husband insisted that i learn 'proper' thai and not his korat thai or issan thai as yes, he saw that as 'slumming' or 'low class'... i saw it as just an other dialect...

and many other thais ive met have voiced the same feelings, although a good friend of mine with issaan husband speaks issan thai (she is the farang) and the (thai)guys seem to like it, but she is younger then me by about 20 years so it could be a thing of status and what is seen as appropriate... sort of like a proper grandmother speaking some american vernacular as opposed to more 'polite' english (as in miss manners....5)..

just saying