Thick Pea 'n Ham Soup

masuk

As the weather turns cooler, I'm thinking it's time for another batch of thick pea and ham soup.

Most of the ingredients seem to be around the supermarkets, such as leeks,heaps of other vegies, pork hocks, etc;

However, I'm stumped with split peas (green). Are these available, or possible lurking under another name.? I saw something at Makro today called chick peas, but not sure if these are the same thing.

Next I'll be looking for rookwurst (smoked sausage) but think I've seen that about somewhere. wai.gif

it is nearly impossible to find split green peas in Thailand...the locals don't use them, and what then?

go to the nearest Villa market or a place that likewise has western food and then grab all that they have... put in an airtight container and consider yerself lucky...dried beans store well when you're thoughtful...

hmmm, a lentil soup with ham wouldn't be half bad with a nice wedge of rye bread to whallop that mother...then tutsi wakes up to find that he was dreaming...

I guess Villa is in BKK. I'm in Chiang Mai. The rye bread sounds interesting. Traditionally, my ex's family used to have croutons with smoked sausage (rook wurst) put in as you reheat the soup. Aroimak/lekker!

I'll check out Rimping and Karim for the peas.

yeah and think about the celery and the carrots...a brimming cauldron of delight...

then a pal's jewish mother said: 'gimme that! you don't need to use no ham! get over here and pay attention! I useta cook for 30 farm laborers on a kibbutz in palestine in the 30s...' and etc., etc...and that soup was mighty fine...

but then the jewish contingent said: 'that's great! just like my bubby useta make...' and then the white boys piped up: 'whaddaya mean it ain't got no ham???!!! what kinda fcukin' soup is this???'

in a gesture of world peace I suggested fresh corn tortillas instead of bread to no avail: 'yer girlfriend sure is pretty but my dick's bigger than yours an' I gots more money...' 'get outta here you white trash POS...' and then cans of Lucky Lager beer were hurled...furniture was smashed and etc...

I was on acid and disliked the commotion...and I was the cook and they were very disrespectful..

Edited by tutsiwarrior

and then another pal's jewish mother heard about the soup incident...she was a very feminine woman in her 50s and moved with a gracefulness that was impossible to ignore and she said: 'it was unfortunate that the point of good soup making was lost with a bunch of ignorant adolescent pronouncements...you look like you need to relax...' and then her hair brushed my face as she started to rub my back and I became aroused...

and I thought, it would be bad enough to nut my pal's girlfriend but his mother? didn't matter as she responded coldly when I didn't respond to her in my nervousness...

then she folded her arms and cocked her hip and said: 'a simple bean soup is the easiest thing in the world to make...puree in a food processor the next time and then no one will care about the stinkin' ham...'

As stated earlier Villa Mart stock them they keep very well in the bags they are sold in no need for any special storage, I find a tps of celary seeds helps the flavour.

Thanks for the idea about celery seeds. I always use a couple of large leeks as they add flavour too.

I'll check out the Makro bakery section and see if the Mae Rim store has the the celery seeds. My sister tells me that in Perth, split peas are kept next to the pork hocks. Make sense I suppose. I'm still trying to figure out the logic of Rimping Mee Chok where their dried fruits are stored in the Macaroni and Spaghetti section.

Thanks also for the variation on a theme. They all sound ideal for the cooler weather here in Chiang Mai.

One of my recipes suggests soaking the green split peas in water and a bit of bi-carb overnight. This softens them up before the boiling process.

As I mentioned before, adding some slices of rookwurst- smoked sausage - is so nice.

I also chop the pork into chunks. wow, I'm getting hungry!!

Thanks also for the variation on a theme. They all sound ideal for the cooler weather here in Chiang Mai.

One of my recipes suggests soaking the green split peas in water and a bit of bi-carb overnight. This softens them up before the boiling process.

As I mentioned before, adding some slices of rookwurst- smoked sausage - is so nice.

I also chop the pork into chunks. wow, I'm getting hungry!!

Hi Masuk,

Soaking in bicarb is supposed to cut down on flatulence, I think it's a only for short soak and my Nan used to tell me it kills the thiamine/ vitamin B1.

A long soak will render the skins soft and easy for cooking, a short soak where you boil for 3 minutes then let rest I've found to be not as good. Even with mushy peas I use the long soak and I don't use the bicarb tablets they provide.

I'm hungry as well smile.png

I go for an overnight soak for the peas. I oven roast a bunch of black pudding, bacon ends and belly pork until crispy. Pour all the meat (and fat) into a large saucepan with fried onions and the pease then cook off water until you get the consistency you prefer. Black pepper and a touch of sea salt....

....I just had some of my last batch out of the freezer for lunch! Lovely!

You're just trying to make me jealous!

Actually, I discovered split green peas in TOPs, and a hunt for a couple of leeks was successful, even tho they labelled them "spring onions". Also bought some dried mint, and over to Makro to get a nice pork hock.

Celery or celery seed not obvious at TOPs, but a few places left to look.

cleardot.gif

You're just trying to make me jealous!

Actually, I discovered split green peas in TOPs, and a hunt for a couple of leeks was successful, even tho they labelled them "spring onions". Also bought some dried mint, and over to Makro to get a nice pork hock.

Celery or celery seed not obvious at TOPs, but a few places left to look.

cleardot.gif

HUGE spring onions! Nearly as good as my local Tesco that sells "Blocolli"

As stated earlier Villa Mart stock them they keep very well in the bags they are sold in no need for any special storage, I find a tps of celary seeds helps the flavour.

Thanks for the idea about celery seeds. I always use a couple of large leeks as they add flavour too.

I'll check out the Makro bakery section and see if the Mae Rim store has the the celery seeds. My sister tells me that in Perth, split peas are kept next to the pork hocks. Make sense I suppose. I'm still trying to figure out the logic of Rimping Mee Chok where their dried fruits are stored in the Macaroni and Spaghetti section.

If you can't find celery seeds, I have got celery salt from Tops Kad Suan Kway, just remember to cut down or eliminate the salt you add. I must have looked for celery seeds and not been able to find them. It helps all soups and stews and hoptpots. Fresh celery added to the pot will do the same if you can find it, I have to say I've never looked. It's one of those strange foods that makes me recoil on smell and gag on accidentally getting a tiny piece of fresh, but when cooked it is lovely, totally different smell and taste. Red peppers are a similar thing with me, although they don't make me feel sick like celery does. I just don't like the smell or taste of them uncooked or 'crunchy' cooked in stir fry, but I love them if well cooked in a gravy or sauce because the taste is totally different.

If you can't find celery seeds, I have got celery salt from Tops Kad Suan Kway, just remember to cut down or eliminate the salt you add. I must have looked for celery seeds and not been able to find them. It helps all soups and stews and hoptpots. Fresh celery added to the pot will do the same if you can find it, I have to say I've never looked. It's one of those strange foods that makes me recoil on smell and gag on accidentally getting a tiny piece of fresh, but when cooked it is lovely, totally different smell and taste. Red peppers are a similar thing with me, although they don't make me feel sick like celery does. I just don't like the smell or taste of them uncooked or 'crunchy' cooked in stir fry, but I love them if well cooked in a gravy or sauce because the taste is totally different.

I don't like raw celery because sometimes you end up with the stringy part down your throat and have to pull it out.... one of the few foods that I have a problem with (that and brussel sprouts...pure evil).

Scientist have shown (and you'll like this) that there is something in brussel sprouts (an enzyme I think but I'm not certain) that stands in all its glory to prove that some people really don't like them and are never going to be able to eat them. I remember mam forcing my brother to have them and he kept saying he couldn't eat them, she said he was being fussy; turns out he was right. I love them myself, hadn't got as far as thinking about stringy bits on celery. That is truly gross. As if the smell and taste aren't bad enough there's now texture sick.gif

• 3 months later...

I found a new way to cook split pea soup last week. Use to cook my peas separate and pre boil a bucket of salt beef. After one failed attempt in the slow cooker with just the peas in decreased the time and made the smoothiest pea base for the rest of the vegetables.

I put 2 pounds of orange split peas (same thing) and half fill the 8 quart slow cooker with warm water (cold could add 2 hours), went to work, 10 hours later im back and peas were soft and it was a liquid. At that point add everything else. I do the Newfoundland pea soup version with onion, carrot, turnip, parsnips, potato and celery.

I currently still waiting for retirement but those peas are one of the foods I do hope wont have issues finding. My thoughts are dragging a slow cooker and toaster oven in a peice of luggage from country to country to suppliment those simple kitchens I see in Chiang Mai condos.

I found a new way to cook split pea soup last week. Use to cook my peas separate and pre boil a bucket of salt beef. After one failed attempt in the slow cooker with just the peas in decreased the time and made the smoothiest pea base for the rest of the vegetables.

I put 2 pounds of orange split peas (same thing) and half fill the 8 quart slow cooker with warm water (cold could add 2 hours), went to work, 10 hours later im back and peas were soft and it was a liquid. At that point add everything else. I do the Newfoundland pea soup version with onion, carrot, turnip, parsnips, potato and celery.

I currently still waiting for retirement but those peas are one of the foods I do hope wont have issues finding. My thoughts are dragging a slow cooker and toaster oven in a peice of luggage from country to country to suppliment those simple kitchens I see in Chiang Mai condos.

I think you'll find that turnip & parsnips will be your biggest problem. As rare as rocking horse s**t and, when you can find them, twice as expensive...but worth it