Ribs In Thailand And The Desolation Of A Life Without Pork

tutsiwarrior

I work in saudi and there is no pork...so when I come home on R&R I go crazy with the bacon, ribs and any kind of pork sandwich meat that I can find...

so here I am in my kitchen ('DOES YOUR KITCHEN HAVE A FULL GAS FIRED COOKER WITH AN OVEN, TUTSI?) and 3 nice whole slabs of pork ribs and my full gas fired oven...

the little niece comes down, towseled and just outta bed and lookin' for a coke...and then I say: 'I like ribs, don't yew?' and she rightly takes this to mean that I got something on the go and then brightens considerably...

and here I got 3 kilos of ribs from the local tescos (they were in a stainless bin but before I looked at the ribs I looked at the assistant who was very young, perfectly proportioned and very dark and I couldn't keep my eyes offa her backside; the slabs were frozen together and we struggled to separate them...and then her hair became askew which was a delight and then she looked at me in confusion...)and two bottles of Heinz steak sauce, a brand that I had used before as a marinade...

I am an asperger's autistic type and do things by strict routine: when the slabs defrost I will slather the sauce on the slabs with the lascivious assistance of my little niece (she loves slathering sauces on meat and at times I think that I maybe brought her up wrong) on a tray then wrap in tin foil and put in the fridge over night...

then slow cook in the gas fired Whirlpool oven the next afternoon at about 200oC for about 2 hours checking once or twice and adjusting the heat as necessary...then I take half a slab for meself (righteous meat, just falling off the bone) and put the rest on the table upstairs and they then disappear in about 20 minutes...

do you guys got any suggestions? I have made marinade from scratch but as shopping for the meat and the preparation requires the assistance of young attractive women I no longer bother...the little niece tucks in with a rib bone that's bigger than she is and I can tell that she is in heaven...courtesy of her uncle tutsi...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

nah...cajun seasonings and smokehouse arrangements are not common to small communities in central Thailand and ye gots to 'go with the flow'...Heraclitus would love it...

how would one significantly improve on the above described arrangement using the scarce resources at hand?

nah...cajun seasonings and smokehouse arrangements are not common to small communities in central Thailand and ye gots to 'go with the flow'...Heraclitus would love it...

how would one significantly improve on the above described arrangement using the scarce resources at hand?

Get a bottle or two of bbq sauce from Saudi - not sure they got it there, have in Bahrain though.

Dump plastic container, sure to rinse out the bottle with a little warm water. Can't waste any.

Add 1 can of 7-Up (Light if you don't like too sweet).

Red chilli flakes, hot Issan stuff = goooood.

Garlic powder or bang up some fresh.

Black pepper.

Mix it up then drop in the ribs. Soak overnight, ocassionally shaking the container if you like.

Slow grill or oven. We use grill.

I usually bring a few bbq sauces over and brush some extra on during grilling.

J

Edited by 55Jay

yeah...I usually remove the membrane and when I was in Bahrain I could get pork ribs but didn't have an oven (our accommodation had a splendid view of the Grand Mosque with central AC but didn't have much of a kitchen, in fact I can't remember what it looked like which is unusual)

but what I wanted to say was: what about prepared sauces in Thailand? I useta go to great lengths to prepare sauces from scratch but then the entire process would take a couple of days when including the marinating...

• Like 1

yeah...I usually remove the membrane and when I was in Bahrain I could get pork ribs but didn't have an oven (our accommodation had a splendid view of the Grand Mosque with central AC but didn't have much of a kitchen, in fact I can't remember what it looked like which is unusual)

but what I wanted to say was: what about prepared sauces in Thailand? I useta go to great lengths to prepare sauces from scratch but then the entire process would take a couple of days when including the marinating...

Surely there must be some kind of generic BBQ sauce at the local Tecso or some such then tighten the stuff up using the products available in most Thai kitchens. I have stacks of time so always make my own therefore no idea what's on the market.

• Like 1

Both Tesco and Big C in Bangkok area have the Kraft Hot BBQ sauce! Villa market have had lots of varieties of differt ones, Baby Rays, HP BBQ, Bullseye, Heinz, Fountain and more!! As an allterative I use Ketchup, garlic salt, a touch of Basil and black pepper and add Coke to marinade, and cook down same mixture for basting. If you can fins McCormics spices, the have a Woodsmoke black pepper in a can, and Villa has Liquid smoke as well. Look for someone in Bangkok and they can et from Villa and ship to you I buy my cajun spices directly from Lousiana products online by the case, so they last a long time.

• Like 1

no...incredibly there is no generic local sauce and you haveta experiment with what's available...

I useta like the Lobo pork seasoning packet (just dissolve in water, etc) but it is now no longer available and I believe that an evil asian with a dirty moustache lurks behind the scene to specifically deny the extraordinary culinary pleasure that a falang might obtain using local ingredients...

the Heinz steak sauce serves for most purposes as a marinade and I had a host of happy kids when the ribs came outta the oven a few minutes ago...

That Lobo is for the Chinese red roasted pork? I've used something like that here a few years back and it turned out very well. Disolved it in orange juice.

Steak sauce would make a good base but not sure about its effectiveness as a maranade. If you could give it's Ph a nudge with rice wine vinegar or lime juice it will penetrate meat faster and also tenderise it.

I've 9 pots of slap ya mama here if you would like me to post one up to you. The Thai's I have given ribs or chicken wings to love it. Use it as a dry rub.

yeah...I tried to post regarding my sister and the ribs ('ye lying <Snip!!!>! it ain't just yer silver tongue, you seduce with yer ribs as well!...')

now...I'm going to bed where there is the little niece that holds me tightly and sez: 'y'know, uncle tutsi you drink too much but let's sleep now as tomorrow is another day' and then I find a shapely Vivian Lee in the bed and cannot sleep...

and then I shout at the little niece and say: 'thou wanton...don't arrange yer self like that as you are indecent...' and then she pulls the covers around her and sez that I am crazy...

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

OK I guess That I do ribs the easy way. I par-boil them for just about an hour .... but not so long that the meat falls off the bone.

I then slather each rack of ribs with my own homemade BBQ sauce-

Ingredients

l 2 cups ketchup

l 2 cups tomato sauce

l 1 1/4 cups brown sugar

l 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar

l 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses

l 4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke

l 2 tablespoons butter

l 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

l 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

l 1/4 teaspoon chili powder

l 1 teaspoon paprika

l 1/2 teaspoon celery seed... I don't have any of this so omit

l 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

l 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper I double this PLUS add some Thai chili ( 1 or 2 ts)

l 1 teaspoon salt

l 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Then I cook slowly on my BBQ grill

Happy grilling

Jim

Edited by jcgodber
  • Like 2

2012 Thaivisa Poster of the Year

are you suggesting that that is an excuse? and then tutsi, who is poster of the year on thaivisa, gestures and the man is put in chains and later abused sexually by the gorilla jailers...

don't mess with me as my good nature has a limit...

sbk, come with me please as we are expected for dinner by the ambassador...

• Like 1

I work in saudi and there is no pork...so when I come home on R&R I go crazy with the bacon, ribs and any kind of pork sandwich meat that I can find...

returning to Germany after my first six months in Saudi Arabia i bought at the airport supermarket a big amount of assorted sausage cuts. at home i opened the package with a salivating mouth, felt immediately sicklish when getting the pork smell and threw everything in the garbage bin. bought some hours later some smoked sausage and savoured it.

• Like 1

Prof Naam...you are an old western saudi hand and what I'm trine to do is to terrify the pusses by tellin' outrageous lies about the western desert...what the prophet saw when he walked between Makkah and Madinah is secret and only for the western likes of you and me...

and when we see the devoted, we must enlighten and not deceive...it's just something that was revealed to us when we were trying to mind our own business around Jeddah...

may peace be upon you always

are you suggesting that that is an excuse? and then tutsi, who is poster of the year on thaivisa, gestures and the man is put in chains and later abused sexually by the gorilla jailers...

lol

What do you pay for ribs around where you live? Samui can be expensive unless you know people and know where to go but ribs are more expensive than they are in the UK. Around 200 Baht a kilo and they don't leave much meat on them. I can get a 20kg box of full rack pork ribs from Wing Yip the Chinese supermarket for 15 quid.

There has to be some kind of generic sauce used by the Thai street vendors y'know. Those BBQ chicken skewers you see pretty much everywhere always have the same taste of tamarind... Maybe it's a secret?

Prof Naam...you are an old western saudi hand and what I'm trine to do is to terrify the pusses by tellin' outrageous lies about the western desert...what the prophet saw when he walked between Makkah and Madinah is secret and only for the western likes of you and me...

and when we see the devoted, we must enlighten and not deceive...it's just something that was revealed to us when we were trying to mind our own business around Jeddah...

Tutsi,

Many congrats on your recent (& well deserved) award.

Do you happen to have any spare 'Sid' over here?

lol

What do you pay for ribs around where you live? Samui can be expensive unless you know people and know where to go but ribs are more expensive than they are in the UK. Around 200 Baht a kilo and they don't leave much meat on them. I can get a 20kg box of full rack pork ribs from Wing Yip the Chinese supermarket for 15 quid.

There has to be some kind of generic sauce used by the Thai street vendors y'know. Those BBQ chicken skewers you see pretty much everywhere always have the same taste of tamarind... Maybe it's a secret?

I pay 115 baht/kilo, but actually buy the entire part of the side that I want, chops, ribs belly and all. If I want I can even go the day before and pick out the pig before the dastardly deed is done!

Prof Naam...you are an old western saudi hand and what I'm trine to do is to terrify the pusses by tellin' outrageous lies about the western desert... what the prophet saw when he walked between Makkah and Madinah is secret and only for the western likes of you and me...

i fully agree with you ya Sihdi! are you indeed living in or nearby the most beautiful city of this planet? we had plans to spend New Year in Jeddah. but now the Mrs is waivering and leans more towards Christmas and New year with 30cm of snow in Bavaria or Switzerland unsure.png

Prof Naam...you are an old western saudi hand and what I'm trine to do is to terrify the pusses by tellin' outrageous lies about the western desert... what the prophet saw when he walked between Makkah and Madinah is secret and only for the western likes of you and me...

i fully agree with you ya Sihdi! are you indeed living in or nearby the most beautiful city of this planet? we had plans to spend New Year in Jeddah. but now the Mrs is waivering and leans more towards Christmas and New year with 30cm of snow in Bavaria or Switzerland unsure.png

yeah...it is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet but because it is in saudi folks get the wrong idea...

please have ms Naam contact me about your holiday plans and we shall then have a splendid lemon tea and discuss...certainly you can improve upon the aspect of a winter in Bavaria...however I was in Vienna one Christmas and heard the chanting in the underground part of the St Stephensdome and then suspected that my dedication to atheism was misguided...

Chichicastenago in the Guatemala highlands is always a winner but when I heard the indigenous devotion there I started to feel seriously deluded...

and then we hooked arms and slouched towards Bethlehem...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

rolleyes.gif tutsiwarrior:

This is a little "off topic" but it's early in the morning anyhow and at this time of day I am always "off topic" anyhow.

Did you know that Aramco once actually had a "Pork license" from the Saudi government?

I worked in Saudi from 1980 to 1985, part of the time for a company who subcontracted to Aramco ... back before Aramco went Saudi.

We used to eat at Aramco compounds and enjoyed their "Breakfast Beef" and eggs in the morning.

Of course, it was really Pork Bacon and sometimes Pork Sausage Links .... but Aramco called it "Breakfast Beef" to keep the Saudis quiet.

I still remember those local Saudis employees of Aramco lining up in the morning for that "Breakfast Beef"

Seems Aramco acquired a license to serve Pork for it's non Moslem employee's back in the 60's (I was told) but it had no expiration date on it.

So around 1980 Aramco was still "legally" serving Pork and Bacon in it's dining halls.

I'm not sure exactly when, but sometime after 1983 or so, the Saudi religious police found out about it and the Saudi government had to tell Aramco to stop serving Pork.

I also worked in Jeddah, Riyadh, and Taif .... and I drove many times on the then "Christian Bypass" around Mecca and Medina.

I left Saudi in 1985 .... never to return.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

that's quite a story...we know that in more 'western friendly' places in the middle east we can get pork; lovely lincolnshire sausages in supermarkets in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain...

then one day when my wife was away a plump 'friend' of hers from Roi Et came to visit...her intentions were absurd and my demeanour was: 'get outta here or my wife will never speak to you again'...

then, soon after I picked up a couple of chinese gals from the local bar and they were obviously being 'trafficked' but no one gave a shit and we had a really good time...they were headed to Dubai...

and then I fried up the bacon sarnies without a hint of remorse...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

lol

I pay 115 baht/kilo, but actually buy the entire part of the side that I want, chops, ribs belly and all. If I want I can even go the day before and pick out the pig before the dastardly deed is done!

That sounds reasonable. General price for loin is around the 140 mark going down depending on the cut. It's just ribs which cost a bomb for some reason.