Are Accidents Like This Common Here?

inapeartree

There is a shocking video doing the rounds on facebook which shows a truck knocking a woman & child off a bicycle and running over the child. I watch the news at least once per day so I can try and keep track of what is going on (even though I don't understand most of it) and I didn't see anything about this. Are accidents like this so 'normal' here they aren't newsworthy? I've heard Thais don't put the same value on life as most western countries but for the driver to not slow down or try to avoid them, so callous!

Here is a link to the cctv footage but it is pretty grim viewing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no interest in watching the video, so I am unable to comment on this particular accident.

I ride a motorbike regularly and it does seem to me that many of the drivers of larger vehicles believe that they have more right to be on the road than those on 2 wheels. They seem to believe that it is up to the 2 wheeler to get out of the way rather than that they should avoid them.

• Like 2

I didn't see that particular video but for your description sounds like an accident which happened in China some time ago. Could it be?

No it isn't, this one is definitely from Thailand from 12/12/12. The only one I remember from China is the poor little 2yr old which was run over in a market, the driver then reversed over her again. She died a few days later from her injuries but not sure what happened to the girl in the link I posted.

I also have no interest in watching but ... the rule of the road here is quite rudimentary ... the larger vehicle has right of way.

Why ... because it's bigger then you.

It's a mechanical principle.

I used to ride motorcycles in London as a courier.

Early on, when I was learning to ride in my home country, the motorcycle instructor mentioned in passing this phrase which I remember to this day.

When riding a bike ... you might be legally right ... but you might be legally dead also ... I lived to a ripe old age ... biggrin.png

If that rule of the road is true then there is something very wrong with this country! For a truck driver to just mow down a woman & child on a bicycle just because he is 'bigger' than them!!!

I also have no interest in watching but ... the rule of the road here is quite rudimentary ... the larger vehicle has right of way.

Early on, when I was learning to ride in my home country, the motorcycle instructor mentioned in passing this phrase which I remember to this day.

When riding a bike ... you might be legally right ... but you might be legally dead also ... I lived to a ripe old age ... biggrin.png

If that rule of the road is true then there is something very wrong with this country! For a truck driver to just mow down a woman & child on a bicycle just because he is 'bigger' than them!!!

Hi inapeartree

You might wish to reread ---- David was recounting a story from his home country. whistling.gif

It is called "right of weight" ..........

..............and it applies worldwide!

• Like 1

Regular hit and run, unfortunately.

Happens too often here.

Drivers just take off.

However, in this case, the truck does not mow down the people.

They are hit on the side somewhere behind the wheelhouse.

You clearly see one person running over the street to assist, just a few seconds later. He also make a call.

Passing cars seem to slow down as they see the commotion.

One more person arriving, then the clip stops.

At least some positives here, as we see actually somebody that cares.

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. This is based on my own personal experience. He jumped a red light right in front of me but because there was a witness that went to the police station and reported that I was not at fault the MC driver got charged.

I have no interest in watching the video, so I am unable to comment on this particular accident.

I ride a motorbike regularly and it does seem to me that many of the drivers of larger vehicles believe that they have more right to be on the road than those on 2 wheels. They seem to believe that it is up to the 2 wheeler to get out of the way rather than that they should avoid them.

I'm the driver of a pickup and it appears the total opposite to what you say. Motorcycle rider have absolutely no regard for vehicles on the road and expect to be given way to, even when they are totally in the wrong. When I asked my GF the reason for this, she said "you bigger than them, up to you to watch out".

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. This is based on my own personal experience. He jumped a red light right in front of me but because there was a witness that went to the police station and reported that I was not at fault the MC driver got charged.

I think it depends.

A local friend of me in his car, was driving in Pattaya. Out from a soi comes a motor bike and hits the door.

For some reason, my friend got the blame.

Oh, and by the way, he is Thai.

Edited by Travel2003

I didn't see that particular video but for your description sounds like an accident which happened in China some time ago. Could it be?

No it isn't, this one is definitely from Thailand from 12/12/12. The only one I remember from China is the poor little 2yr old which was run over in a market, the driver then reversed over her again. She died a few days later from her injuries but not sure what happened to the girl in the link I posted.

Just watched it. I can't understand how the driver hits the bicycle, maybe he was falling sleep. I am against death penalty, but for me this is one of those cases which could use it. Not for the accident itself but for not even stopping. It's outrageous, this is not a human being.

I'm the driver of a pickup and it appears the total opposite to what you say. Motorcycle rider have absolutely no regard for vehicles on the road and expect to be given way to, even when they are totally in the wrong. When I asked my GF the reason for this, she said "you bigger than them, up to you to watch out".

I agree.

I think that is spot on.

Just watched it. I can't understand how the driver hits the bicycle, maybe he was falling sleep. I am against death penalty, but for me this is one of those cases which could use it. Not for the accident itself but for not even stopping. It's outrageous, this is not a human being.

Unfortunately, not stopping after an accident is the norm here. Obviously the penalties for hit and run are a not big enough deterrent.

I don't want to watch it either but whether you are on a bike or driving a car or truck you have to watch out for the other idiots on the road.I don't know how many cars and trucks have flashed there lights at me and kept coming striaght for me in my lane where I am in the right of way but must slow down and get out of their way.A friend had his truck total and almost lost his life when a transport truck ran him into the ditch.The buses are the worst drivers on the road in Thailand followed by the big trucks and then bikes drivers who don't give a dam.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

The reason they keep going is because they would be put in jail if they stop.Everyone knows if they run the chance of being caught is slim,and the charge is probally no more for driving away from accident.Only a falang would stop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

At the end of every newspaper article on a traffic accident: "The driver fled the scene".

• Like 1

Hi inapeartree

You might wish to reread ---- David was recounting a story from his home country. whistling.gif

It is called "right of weight" ..........

..............and it applies worldwide!

I reread and I still see this 'the rule of the road here is quite rudimentary ... the larger vehicle has right of way.'

I presume he is referring to Thailand when he says here?

And I can assure you that 'right of weight' does not apply worldwide!

I think it depends.

A local friend of me in his car, was driving in Pattaya. Out from a soi comes a motor bike and hits the door.

For some reason, my friend got the blame.

Oh, and by the way, he is Thai.

So many people believe it I used to until corrected as almost every Thai told me the same.

Someone I know was riding a bus and witnessed an accident (the bus, of course, did not stop, nor was it involved). A speeding luxury car hit a motorcycle and from all appearances killed the rider instantly. The car stopped, the driver got out, inspected the damage to his vehicle, and without as much as a look in the direction of the very recently deceased, got back in the car and resumed driving as if nothing had happened.

People have to ride bikes, but heck it's just frightening how dangerous it really is. If the driver stopped after running them over and by the looks of it, killing the child, I think the Thais may have beaten him to death on the spot, and he really would have deserved it. I'm thinking making licenses to drive heavy vehicles need a royal inquiry. The driver seemed to have no idea how close he was to the cyclist. How many other people has he killed and how many more? These types of drivers must be like truck born serial killers. How many people would this type of driver harm over the course of his driving lifetime? Could it be a small number of drivers are responsible for the bulk of the yearly road toll?

That is truly shocking - I can't believe no-one else was bothering to stop either?!?! Unbelievable...

According to the comments, that poor little girl died. Hopefully they catch the truck driver and give him the same treatment!!

whistling.gif These accidents happen all the time in Thailand.

Everyone want's to blame the DRIVER, and I agree they are a big problem.

But the real reason us how the truck OWNERS pay their drivers in many cases.

The drivers are often paid a fee for each trip... not paid a daily wage but a flat fee for each trip.

Therefore the more trips the driver makes and the longer he drives in the day the more he earns,

I had a friend who was killed on an intersection on the road from Bangkok to Pattaya many years ago.

It was about 2:30 in the morning and the driver of the truck had been driving for more than 12 hours and was being paid for each trip.

He was taking pills to keep him awake.

He ran a red light and plowed into the side of my fiend"s pickup truck killing my friend instantly.

Now the driver was at fault ... he shouldn't have been driving... but he was a poor man and needed the money for his family back up in his home village.

Of course, he ran away ... but in this case he was caught later.

But the REAL criminal, in my opinion, was the trucking company OWNER who (in this case I know this for certain) was a wealthy man and was paying his drivers the minimum possible to make the maximum profit off of his contract to haul the loads he had contracted to haul.

That's just the way it is in Thailand ... money has priority and the "rules of the road" don't pay bribes.

As for motorcycles ... if something is bigger and/or faster than you ... get out of it's way.

That's the reality in Thailand.

whistling.gif

Everyone talking about getting out of the way, bigger than you etc, how the hell is that relevant when you are riding correctly and a lorry travelling in the same direction hits you from behind ?

Hardly relevant to the Post, the individual in the video was hit FROM BEHIND !! whilst riding in the correct direction and keeping far to the left of the highway. No excuse whatsoever, just plain carelessness from the lorry driver.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1