Are Accidents Like This Common Here?

inapeartree

I know a Thai guy that got hit by a truck off his motorbike. The truck driver reversed back not to help but finish him off. The guy actually survived but to this day he is not good lucky to be alive. Plenty of us know its frikn scary riding motorbikes in Thailand.

Many years ago I was told that a truck driver would receive 80K baht from the Insurance Co. if he killed someone in an accident. If he only had to pay the family 50,000Bt, he could pocket the rest.

It could cost the insurance co. much more if the driver only seriously injured someone.

The suggestion was that truck drivers would actually get some cash out of it if they injured someone and then made sure that they finished them off.

I don't know if this was true or not, maybe only an urban myth.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David48: I also have no interest in watching but ... the rule of the road here is quite rudimentary ... the larger vehicle has right of way. Have you ever seen motorbike in Thailand drive. They think they have right of way all the time, pull out in front of you, and expect you to stop when you clearly have right of way and are much bigger ...

New to driving in Thailand are you ... whistling.gif

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

your wrong

In that case, I better inform my (Thai) friend whom had an exactly accident like that in Pattaya, with another Thai (on moto). My friend driving the car had to pay.

Yes, I watched that video and the driver must have known he hit the people on the bicycle because he hit the brakes. Maybe when he saw in his mirror what he'd done he decided cowardice was the best option and he high tailed it.

Disgusting behaviour IMHO.

I never experience this kind of situation, but I have a feeling the desicion is made within a split second.

If we dont have learned proper human decency at an early stage, it will not be deep rooted and part of our core values.

Therefore it will be easier to panic and fly.

Remember the truck in Lampang or Lamphun about 3 years ago.

Hit and run from a pick-up truck, and while trying to escape ran over about 15 motosais that were waiting (with their riders) at a redlight.

Mostly students and nurses from a hospital at the end of their shift. About 12 fatalities iirc.

Can remember it barely made the news. Photos were grim to say the least.

I Don't know whether the Thais put a low value on other people's lives or have grown numb to the road death toll or a combination

Low value on other people's lives.

And if it doesn't advantage them they have zero interest.

I've given up riding motorcycles in Samui, after a nearly being the victim of an angry soi dog that tried attacking the wheel of the bike I was riding, shook me up quite a bit to be honest. I've previously ridden big bikes in the Uk for a number of years so felt up until that point quite confident in my abilities.

It was until I started going out with a Thai friend in there car around Samui that I became aware of how differently they drive. Again this shook me up, because I became aware that actually my take on riding/driving was completely upside down to whatever it is applies here, and how I had unknowingly put myself at risk probably.

I'm yet to decipher what is and isn't done here regarding the rules of the road, every trip out now with my friend is am 'experience' in itself with me either digging my nails in the dashboard or half asleep whilst travelling at 20 mph on a stretch of clear straight road.

Another 400 km on the speedo from Nakhon Sawan to Kanchanaburi and I still didn't see too much sillyness on the highway. The only accident was right here in Kanchanaburi when someone rear ended another vehicle in the city. But, no problems for this gal. I am always constantly aware of what is going around me.

• Like 1

It's a rare intercity ride that you don't see someone digging a pick-up/bus/truck out of the ditch.

Riding here since 2007 and if I haven't seen the remnants of a serious accident by the end of the first day, I know I won't have to wait too long on the second.

My mother cam over to visit and we did a few trips around to the North and back, and around Bangkok, in the two weeks we passed 4 fatal accidents.

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

No it's just easier for the police to not do their job.

I wonder what this cop's opinion is on the right of way. http://www.pattayaon...red-road-crash/

It's amazing that none of the thousands of reports of traffic accidents I have read in many years in Thailand ever pointed out who violated the right of way, if applicable. Seems it doesn't matter. Seems no one knows.

Edited by Potosi

Another 400 km on the speedo from Nakhon Sawan to Kanchanaburi and I still didn't see too much sillyness on the highway. The only accident was right here in Kanchanaburi when someone rear ended another vehicle in the city. But, no problems for this gal. I am always constantly aware of what is going around me.

That must be some motor, but 400 km on the speedo is really too fast. I expect that you fly over the accidents :D

Remember the truck in Lampang or Lamphun about 3 years ago.

Hit and run from a pick-up truck, and while trying to escape ran over about 15 motosais that were waiting (with their riders) at a redlight.

Mostly students and nurses from a hospital at the end of their shift. About 12 fatalities iirc.

Can remember it barely made the news. Photos were grim to say the least.

I remember reading about that. I believe there were at least 30 casualties. From what I've been told, if someone is not dead at the scene of the accident, and only dies later in hospital, then the official death report is not attributed to the accident that caused it. But, this is only second hand reporting.

That must be some motor, but 400 km on the speedo is really too fast. I expect that you fly over the accidents biggrin.png

Where is the laughter button. Thanks for correcting me. I meant my odometer.

Had you just struck your brother-in-law as he blew a stop?