Sym Cello And Fiddle Ii

BirdsandBooze

I'm on a business trip for my wife down in Hua Hin/Cha Am this week and I have come across a Sym dealer here. As I'm thinking about getting a new scooter for the Tesco Express run I took a look inside. I have to say that their retro styled 125's have a beautiful fit and finish and IMHO are better looking than the similarly styled Japanese brands. Made in Taiwan the scooters use a carburetor rather than fuel injection, which for some would be a deal breaker. For me personally it isn't an issue but rather something I can fix and tune myself if need be. CVT transmission, flat floor, big underseat storage space, rear rack, 5 and a bit litre fuel tank, 12 inch tubeless tyres on alloys, front disc brake. They cost 41900 Baht for the Cello and 39990 Baht for the Fiddle II with 3 year/30000km warranty which I think is very keen pricing.

• 3 months later...

I have recently bought a SYM Fiddle 11 125cc scooter. It is the light blue limited edition and comes equipped with screen, sturdy rear rack, and 60th anniversary stickers that I had the dealer in Nonthaburi remove. The scoot cost 39900 baht which included registration, road tax, third party insurance, SYM anniversary track suit jacket and a quality open face helmet with peak and visor. It also has a 3 year warranty. My early impressions are that it is very well made, certainly as good if not better than our Thai made Scoopy. HP on paper isn`t a lot more than the Scoopy but it accelerates a lot quicker and has more torque than the Honda and also our late Fino. SYM claim a top speed of 100kph but I`m still running it in so can`t verify that yet. SYM estimate fuel consumption at 32kpl which seems to be very conservative as I`ve now run the 5.2 litre tank dry twice and achieved 42kpl around town and in the countryside. Recommended fuel is Gasohol 95 and it starts and carburates perfectly on it and runs quieter and cooler than the Scoopy. Seat is conveniently opened by a switch on the handlebar when the ignition is in the on position. Seat is semi firm and good for a couple of hours nonstop. Underseat storage is also more than the Scoopy as the SYM is physically bigger. It has fat tubeless tyres running on 12 inch alloys and so far the small wheels and the suspension have handled a variety of road surfaces. It steers very precisely and feels very stable. I`ll put some more kms on it before reporting again.

• Like 2

I had a sym cello for a year or so, bought it at mityon Pattaya ... Price was 39,990 baht on a promotion deal ... I recently got rid of the bike as it was of absolutely dismal quality ... All the chromed parts started rusting away within weeks. It's a great looking bike, however it deteriorates very very fast ... Also I found that mityon does not carry any spare parts ... Not even the basics, like filters, tyres etc ... My advise: run a mile !!!!

I had a sym cello for a year or so, bought it at mityon Pattaya ... Price was 39,990 baht on a promotion deal ... I recently got rid of the bike as it was of absolutely dismal quality ... All the chromed parts started rusting away within weeks. It's a great looking bike, however it deteriorates very very fast ... Also I found that mityon does not carry any spare parts ... Not even the basics, like filters, tyres etc ... My advise: run a mile !!!!

The dealer actually steered me away from the Cello (Honda Joker clone) citing that the plastichrome (this material doesn't actually rust) covering the switches, levers, trim parts etc., wasn't durable and deteriorated quickly. The Fiddle (Vespa LX lookalike) has no chrome, just alloy and plastic. The dealer runs around on one that is 3 years old and it looks as new. Reviews in the fickle Western bike press show the Fiddle to be very durable. The Cello and fiddle don't actually have oil filters, but utilise a small, washable magnetic basket screen. Not all dealers are the same, the SYM dealer in Nonthaburi has shelves of spares and even offers test rides on his own scooter. As we know, there are big differences in quality of service here.
  • Like 1