Baby Making - A Personal Journey

1DaySoon

Baby Making - A Personal Journey

My lady and I have been trying to conceive for some time now without success, so we decided to approach the Siriraj Hospital's clinic for Infertility for some help.

I will do my best to describe to process to you in detail so that, should you experience this yourself, you have some sort of guide.

Questions are always welcome ...

+

• Like 1

There already exists a lot of information on Thai Visa Forum about this specific subject ...

With this topic we hope to add to that collective knowledge pool.

Please add to this list if you know more that has been written here about this subject.

+

My gf and I have been hoping for a family.

We were together maybe 18 months when we visited the http://www.nawabutr.com/web/ place in Sathorn.

Had some good reports from the gf's gf, here and on the web generally.

Swanky place (must be paying a decent rent in Sathorn), we waited for 2 hours from front desk to doctors desk.

Were able to enjoy TV in a lounge ... coffee if we bothered to make it.

Got to the doctor (the one of the far right of the photo from their group shot on their website) and a nice guy, spoke conversational English and was happy to explain the important bits twice, first in Thai, then in English ... thumbsup.gif

Told him how long we were trying for ... he just smiled and then figuratively told us kids to go home and practice some more.

Gf was happy (she had the concern), total cost was 500 Baht and a lost Sunday morning.

Good luck to you guys and looking forward to following your journey.

EDIT ... found this thread here about streamlining-or-speeding-up-ivf-treatment and didn't see it above in your list ...

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, just got busy over Christmas.

Thanks for replying above, I am sure there are many other couples who share the same situation that we seem to.

So, back to the story.

We had been trying the natural way for maybe 12 months up to recently.

Initially with not thinking about it, then after 6 months and nothing then we tried a little more scientifically. Meaning, counting the days since the last menstruation cycle to think when the egg will journey down.

When that was met with no success we tried the more clinical, but less romantic practice of Self-Insemination (DIY Insemination).

+

Edited by 1DaySoon

“DIY (do-it-yourself) or self-insemination, is a method in which the woman (or her partner) inserts semen into the vagina herself, without medical intervention”

You can read more about it at http://www.drmalpani...nsemination.htm

There seem to be two main ways the sperm is injected into the vagina. The most written about method is to use a needleless 10ml sterile syringe and to deposit the sperm as close to the ‘mouth’ of the cervix as possible.

Most couples prefer to use the ‘pillow under the bum’ method to allow maximum contact with the cervix. Times for this position vary from 10 mins, most talk about 20 – 30 mins … some sleep in that position overnight.

+

Edited by 1DaySoon

A good ‘How To’ Guide is this one http://www.babymed.c...y-baster-method

It also seems to be know as the Turkey Baster method … and some couples try this implement, rather then the needleless syringe.

Some ladies also try to increase their chances by using a cervical cap like device but using it to not repel the sperm, but to use it as a reservoir of sperm which is nestled close to their cervix so that it can remain or 'dip' into that reservoir as often as possible.

Some of words of warning once you wander into the ‘Do it yourself baby making’. Read widely.

Don’t take information given here literately, do your own research, read or join a relevant Forum.

+

Lastly, after many attempts with the self injection method without success, it’s recommended not to try to self administer the IUI technique.

Under laboratory conditions the sperm is washed and this removes some of the irritants. People who have tried to self inject directly into the cervix have report pains similar to that experienced with menstrual cycle pain.

Never recommended.

Consult your fertility clinician.

+

There is a point to my boring anecdote: to people who are trying, I know how dispiriting it can be. But don't give up until you absolutely have to.

Not boring at all and a nice contribution.

My words also for those in the same boat as we are, wishing, trying and hoping that one day our dreams come true.

So my New Years Wish to you all is that, if you are trying, we wish you every success.

+

• 4 months later...

So, some months later, we are without success and have moved onto the next logical step which is to ask the Hospital, through AI to assist us.

Before we went a public Thai Hospital, we did visit a clinic for advice. The Navabu Clinic at Silom http://www.nawabutr.com/web/.

Open on a Sunday, lot's of people, waited some time to see a Doctor. Really nice chap, spoke in both Thai and English, gave some advice. Cost - 500 Baht

Sometime afterwards the wife visited a private Hospital to check her egg by Ultrasound. Cost - 1,300 Baht. Clean out her Tubes. Cost - 2,200 Baht.

From the Hospital described below, here is the description of the AI process we went through in medical terms.

A few years after that time, assisted reproductive technology or ART has been fully developed especially in the infertility clinic at Siriraj Hospital. Nowadays, ART is routinely performed to improve the possibility of conception. The details of ART are described below.

1. Intrauterine insemination or IUI are the procedures like artificial insemination. In the past, the liquefied fresh semen without washing was injected through the cervix into the uterus. The most common complication that occurred from the IUI procedure was infection as well as trauma to the genital tract. In addition, prostaglandins in seminal fluid induced the vigorous uterine contractions. Sperm washing, therefore, is a vital procedure for selecting the best sperm, as well as recovering good motility sperm, before injection to the uterine cavity. However, the couples who have problems, such as cervical stenosis, impotence, and unexplained infertility will achieve conception by IUI procedure.

Also some links, recently discovered to associated topics

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530748-artificial-insemination/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/189221-ai-in-thailand/

+

Edited by 1DaySoon

After much research by my wife, we decided to go the public route, save some money as neither of us are rich. We visited the Siriraj Hospital. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siriraj_Hospital This is a Public Hospital and an option worth considering if your spouse is a Thai national.

Apparently the Siriraj Hospital is one of the oldest in Thailand, one of the busiest and the one where the King currently resides. Visiting Siriraj was my first foray into the Thai Public Health Service and it was a bit like the NHS as I remember it.

On the day we registered as patients at Siriraj, I saw the best of Thailand. Before you get near the Assisted Conception (or some such name) building, you must first register as a patient. The Best of Thailand, literally hundreds of people being treated, and equal number of concerned relatives. Volunteers assisting with directing pedestrian traffic. Thai admin staff who quick and efficient and tried their best English with me. No discrimination, no tea money, just people doing their job and with care and a compassion for their patient.

I'll assist with the how's and wherefores in the next post.

+

• 3 weeks later...

So, how to get to Siriraj Hospital?

We travel from the south and west which means you have to cross the river.

The closest Terminal is this one, photo 020860

post-170771-0-08402400-1370048682_thumb.

From across the river you can see the Hospital

post-170771-0-43246500-1370048759_thumb.post-170771-0-06936200-1370048742_thumb.

Another way is to take the ferry from under Taksin Bridge and I think you want the one with the Yellow Flag? This is an easy way because it close to the BTS Train and the fare is 15 Baht, one way. The Hospital journey from Terminal 1, under the Taksin Bridge is about 30 - 40 mins and about 3 or 4 stops after the Grand Palace.

Actually, I think it is the first time the Ferry stops on the left side of the River.

This is the closest Terminal, Photo 020865

post-170771-0-12245500-1370048927_thumb.

Walk straight of of the terminal up the busy road, there is only one and stay to the right side of the road.

On the right, there are many ways into the Hospital. Certainly, once you are past the SCB Bank, you should look to go right.

If you are not a registered patient then first you must register. This was a little difficult but assuming that your partner is from Thailand then should be easy for her to ask questions.

We followed this sign

post-170771-0-44715500-1370048955_thumb.

and found out way to here, where you register.

post-170771-0-66223000-1370048908_thumb.

Everyone was helpful. At no time did I get the odd stare.

The only one crazy was a westerner who was maybe 70, but acted like a 7 year old.

He must have been in Thailand some time because his Thai was easy, but his mood not good.

+

After registering, which is free, you and your partner must then have a series of blood tests.

Again a numbered queuing system and a wait of maybe 30 mins.

This is where the angry man was waiting.

My blood tests cost 680 Baht and were

Hemoglobin typing

CBC

FSH

Testosterone

VDRL

HIV:Ab (ELISA)

HBV:HBs Ag

My Wife's blood tests cost 1,180 Baht and were

Hemoglobin typing

CBC

VDRL

HIV:Ab (ELISA)

HBV:HBs Ag

That was it for the day. Make an appointment to revisit and review the test results when your partner's menstrual cycle is due to start.

+

The food you eat can make a big difference if you want to get pregnant. Food she and he should eat. Google it or speak to a naturopath. There is also a way to increase the chances of having a boy or girl. Worked for us anyhow. Don't know if it should be written here but if you want to know just pm me.

• Like 1

Back for the test results (all good).

So, there are more tests to be done with the woman when she is menstruating.

This time my Wife's blood tests cost 1,180 Baht and were

FSH

E2 (Estradiol)

Prolactin

Maybe four or five days later a revisit for drugs for a bigger egg, cost 250 Baht

The place that you buy the drugs is on the ground floor.

Because the Hospital lifts are almost always loaded to capacity

going down, we gave up waiting after five minutes and walked down.

Come back to the hospital maybe five or six days later to ultrasound the egg.

Cost 550 Baht

Then return to the Hospital maybe two or three days later to again ultrasound the egg.

Cost 550 Baht

Also they prescribed an injection which the wife translated as the word vaccine, but I'm not

so sure about the literal translation.

Now, this injection drug must be kept cool and the Hospital supplies the ice to keep it cool.

Thinking back, now I remember many couples having small cooler bags, but never wondered why.

On the day, I think I bought something cold so that we had extra ice and something to carry the drug in.

this injection was designed to be inter-muscular (in her ass or bottom). Apparently moderately painful.

Cost 626 Baht

At that stage the hospital will tell you the exact day to return when they think the egg will come down.

Thank you to the person above for the dietary advice.

I am sure it has helped many to conceive.

My wife and I eat a balanced diet with a vitamin supplement.

+

You have to be dedicated and expect to travel to the Hospital many times,

but that is what just has to be done.

If you notice above there have not been any separate doctor fees.

Well, for example, the ultrasound cost 550 Baht.

50 Baht of which is apportioned to the Doctor.

The Doctor, he or she, about equal numbers of each also spend time with your wife

discussing the results of the scans and the general process.

It's not cookie cutter medicine but you get maybe five to them minutes with the doctor

at best in the early stages.

I found it helpful to write the questions down you have so you don't forget them.

Again, the doctors were friendly professional and approachable.

Plus they were a little shy, but replied their answers in English every time I asked a question.

Also, the Fertility Clinic has not of the hustle and bustle of the general Hospital downstairs.

There is even a Thai TV for one and all to watch.

+

Now, this is the big day - the day for the injection of the sperm.

Well, this morning was interesting to say the least.

After a small waiting time, out names were called and the nurse

looked at me, smiled, handed me a small specimen Jar and pointed in the

direction of the toilets.

Well, not the toilets exactly but there are two specially prepared rooms

with a lockable door, some adjustable mood lighting, a large screen Television,

a DVD player with the appropriate DVD's I might add, a couch, plus a sink in the corner.

This place was new and no-one had stolen anything.

I think the couch still had the plastic on it.

Well air-conditioned, all that was missing was a beer!

As she left the room, on closing the door, I think my wife wished me good luck or

be strong or something like that - ha ha ha.

Well, after some time, which modesty prevents me from disclosing, I have done

what was needed and then walked the corridor of shame back to the Nurses desk.

Actually that last bit was a little dramatic and we all know why the men were there

on the day, we all have to do the same thing, just the first time, it felt kinda weird.

By the second and third visits, you got used to it.

So you front up to the Nurses Desk with your clear sample jar with the yellow lid,

your name labelled on the outside and between 10 to 30 million of your best contained

within all wrapped in a paper towel. It's important to keep them warm, at Body Temperature.

You sit, you wait.

+

We waited maybe 30, 40 maybe 50 mins. During this time

the lab technicians are carefully washing your sperm to remove

the dead, stationary or slow swimmers and removing the fluid which

accompanies them as this fluid can cause discomfort to your partner

with a discomfort or irritation akin to menstrual pain.

Actually the wait time could have been more then an hour,

it felt like forever, then your lady is called, it's her turn.

No shame or hesitation with her, that's why we are here. I must remember

that next time if we have to visit the clinic again to repeat the procedure.

She toddles off to a room your eyes will never see.

Apparently, it's a room, full of tables and woman just like her.

Patiently waiting for their turn to be injected with your best swimmers.

I was just hoping that the label hadn't fallen off our Jar!

I wont go into the specifics of the actual injection from the female perspective,

I'll let your partner do that but, it did seem to be a bit of a gossip fest.

In the darkened room, discussion of where they all came from, how long they

had travelled. One lady apparently had left Hua Hin at 4am, such is the

reputation of the clinic that she was prepared to travel that distance and

she would have done that journey many times from my posts above.

The gossip also extends to how many times they have been injected, their

partners sperm count, the sperms mobility ... is nothing sacred?

Like many things, the more your do the action, the more successful you will

usually become at it. With the Artificial Insemination, the chances of conception

diminish after about five times. In other words, if it ain't going to stick by the

fifth time you've done it, the chances in the future are slimmer and slimmer with

each subsequent attempt.

Sperm collection, washing and injection 1,150 Baht, about 25 quid - bargain!

So, in the room full of ladies, lying still after receiving the sperm, maybe

30 mins from start to finish.

Then, it's time to head home and wait.

and wait

and wait

+

Edited by 1DaySoon