Bridge Over The River Kwai Last Explosion Sunday Night

nokbird

Sunday Night 16 December 2012 is the last night that the Bridge Over The River Kwai in Kananaburi will be “blown up” in Bridge Week. It is free to watch and a lovely part of Thailand.

Take the train for a unique trip.

The famous bridge will be exploded with an amazing display of fireworks and lasers at 6:45PM and the final countdown at 9:15PM. This is “celebrating” when America blew up the bridge in WW2 to stop the Japanese advancing to Burma.

poster.jpg

More Info from here and here. This should rock tomorrow night. More pics here.

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the lives lost there I find the performance belittling and just a tourist trap. Lets have a fireworks display at the site of 911.......

It's Tacky, Tasteless and money grabbing.

Almost exactly like war. Tacky, Tasteless and money grabbing. Aptly put.

Of course there is Bastille Day.

And Cinco de Mayo, that was the battle of Puebla.

post-73727-0-53576600-1355581951_thumb.j

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Thanks for the topic. That explains why Kanchanaburi is so busy right now. I just decided to ride down and see the city again and had to hunt for a place to stay. I'll try to take it in. I always did enjoy when my father blew things up.

In contrast to the Allied Cemeteries, the Japanese Memorial in Kanchanaburi, is poorly maintained- pretty much a slap in the face of the hundreds of thousands killed for their railway. And where the Allied Cemeteries are meticulously maintained by the respective governments, the Japanese Memorial has a donation jar upon walking in.

I know the Japanese economy has hit a bit of a skid in the past couple of decades, but one of the largest economies in the world could do a lot better to honor the the fallen.

• Like 1

From what i understand, the bridge over the river Kwai was blown up in WW2.

The bridge that stands there today is a different bridge at a different location

so the whole thing is a false statement.

Don't let the facts get in the way of those tourist dollars. :(

• Like 1

bit sick really......no actually it is discusting..!

imagine having fireworks etc for Gallipoli or......bad enough that some countries dignitaries went to the Jap emperor's funeral.

Still I guess in a few years there will be party celebrating the Tsunami.....

Forgive and forget??...naaa sorry....

http://www.roy-mark.com/bridge.htm

The bridge that stands there today is a different bridge at a different location

I believe that is correct.

No, that is totally wrong!

The steel and concrete bridge which still stands today was partly destroyed by bombing in June 1945. You will notice that the two spans which were hit are now a different shape to the rest of the spans.

Photographic evidence is available.

• Like 2

bit sick really......no actually it is discusting..!

imagine having fireworks etc for Gallipoli or......bad enough that some countries dignitaries went to the Jap emperor's funeral.

Still I guess in a few years there will be party celebrating the Tsunami.....

Forgive and forget??...naaa sorry....

http://www.roy-mark.com/bridge.htm

You could say the same thing for all the war memorials throughout the USA. Gettysburg war memorial is a stark reminder of when people fought over keeping slavery.

Well I actually watched the show on Thursday night, and it is not just a fireworks display.

They do a very good job in telling the story with actors playing the roles of the POW's, the Japanese soldiers and of course the Thais.

It is a very moving event not letting us forget all those who lost their lives in such horrendous conditions......and at the end there is a very strong message for us all to get on with each other regardless of our differences.

I congratulate the people who put this show together.

• Like 2

No, that is totally wrong

The steel and concrete bridge which still stands today was partly destroyed by bombing in June 1945. You will notice that the two spans which were hit are now a different shape to the rest of the spans.

This picture.

post-118612-0-47086400-1355650309_thumb.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

Thnx for the correction.

smile.png

It was a pretty good party and I've never seen the city that busy. It was a sleepy little village the last time I visited. And, I was totally unaware that there was a party going on. I just decided to go on a long bike ride, and I'm glad I did. I didn't think it was tacky and everyone seemed to be having fun. I was just very fortunate in finding a room to stay. There were groups of back packers being turned away right after I signed in.

• Like 1

Well I saw the movie, and the bridge above doesn't look anything like the wooden bridge in the movie that got blown up.

Who? what? should I believe?

Of course you should believe the movie! You should never let documented history challenge the veracity of the entertainment industry.

• Like 1

The comments with the image above are correct, 2 spans were destroyed, Thumbs up for Allied Bombers.

During the construction of the steel bridge, that was originally in Java (now Indonesia) a wooden bridge was constructed by brutal Japanese forced labor imadiatly next to the current one to aid in supplies for this one. When the Japs took Java, they had the bridge dis-esembled and relocated for the train line to Burma.

The "famous" movie is pathetically incorrect on nearly every front. As a side note the river is actually pronounced like "square" with a "K", and in fact it was not the River Kwai anyway. It is just more BS form the movie !!!! But as thousand of tourist flocked to visit the new famous bridge and people were disappointed the Thais tweaked and renamed about 5 miles of the River, "Little River Kwai". About 80km up the road is Hell Fire Pass, a truly remarkable place that sends shivers down the spines of all who visit it. The most powerful celebration up there is on 25th of April actually.

Those that say it is all fake, get off your "bottom" and go learn a few things.

wai2.gif

Edited by nokbird
  • Like 2

Well I saw the movie, and the bridge above doesn't look anything like the wooden bridge in the movie that got blown up.

If you want to know who shot JFK, just watch the Oliver Stone movie! ;)

I went and saw the show on Friday, 90% of the audience was Thai. The show was a bit tacky of course but the quality of the production was better than I expected. The fact that a steam train crossed the bridge and a small prop plane flew past the audience along with some of the pyrotechnics made it worthwhile.

The most surprising aspect was the ASEAN AEC aspect at the end. Clearly, some political influence there that the coming AEC will bring 'peace and prosperity to the region'. It was a bit bizarre and out of place.

People should remember that many thais have no idea of what went on in that period - nationalistic collective amnesia about the Japanese occupation is encouraged after all - so it provides a small degree of historical education.

You are correct ! And the bridge was not blown up to stop the Jap advance into Burma, but to break the railway supply line from Burma thro to Singapore. The Japs built this because they could not do it by sea as they were within range of CEYLON (Sri Lankan) and Indian based bombers. The bridge was attacked by US bombers in June '45. As many will know, the film "Bridge on the river Kwai" was made in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). The extras ( POW's) were recruited from men serving at RAF Negombo and the place where i was serving Welisara Radio Stn., which was Royal Navy manned. Remember the parades "Old and skinny ones in the front row, fat & fit at the back ! lololol

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

Don't believe the film, it was just a fantasy story based on a few facts, and believe me, the bridge in the film was constructed in what was then was Ceylon.

The comments with the image above are correct, 2 spans were destroyed, Thumbs up for Allied Bombers.

During the construction of the steel bridge, that was originally in Java (now Indonesia) a wooden bridge was constructed by brutal Japanese forced labor imadiatly next to the current one to aid in supplies for this one. When the Japs took Java, they had the bridge dis-esembled and relocated for the train line to Burma.

The "famous" movie is pathetically incorrect on nearly every front. As a side note the river is actually pronounced like "square" with a "K", and in fact it was not the River Kwai anyway. It is just more BS form the movie !!!! But as thousand of tourist flocked to visit the new famous bridge and people were disappointed the Thais tweaked and renamed about 5 miles of the River, "Little River Kwai". About 80km up the road is Hell Fire Pass, a truly remarkable place that sends shivers down the spines of all who visit it. The most powerful celebration up there is on 25th of April actually.

wai2.gif

Yes, April 25th is ANZAC day. The day in which Australia and New Zealand remember those lost in previous wars. We have a very large ceremony at Hintok crossing commonly known as "HELLFIRE PASS" where the brutal Japs made the POW's cut through a hugh rock something like 12 mtrs wide and 17 mtrs deep to take the railway line, they could have gone around it, but NO that was not their way of thinking, all they wanted was "Speedo" Consequently many ill weak starved men died doing this. One can still see the broken steel picks embedded in the rock walls. It was called Hellfire pass by the Australians because of the candles which were placed in the rock face to give them light to work around the clock.......Speedo Speedo. Who can ever forgive the way these evil masters drove our men to their deaths. RIP

• Like 1

The older spans have bullet holes in.

wai2.gif

Yes, April 25th is ANZAC day. The day in which Australia and New Zealand remember those lost in previous wars. We have a very large ceremony at Hintok crossing commonly known as "HELLFIRE PASS" where the brutal Japs made the POW's cut through a hugh rock something like 12 mtrs wide and 17 mtrs deep to take the railway line, they could have gone around it, but NO that was not their way of thinking, all they wanted was "Speedo" Consequently many ill weak starved men died doing this. One can still see the broken steel picks embedded in the rock walls. It was called Hellfire pass by the Australians because of the candles which were placed in the rock face to give them light to work around the clock.......Speedo Speedo. Who can ever forgive the way these evil masters drove our men to their deaths. RIP

Visited hellfire pass last year with the family, very moving and I would recommend it to anyone the Thais do a great job of keeping it tidy, and the Australian goverment pay for it's up keep.