Klx 250 Frame Break

jackjones

There is an interesting post on the Chiangmai based site rideasia about a KLX which had a frame break while trail riding. Apparently the bike had never been on a motocross track, had been bought from new and with only 26,000 k's on the clock the frame broke entirely in two just below the headstock. Fortunately it happened during a trail ride and not when it was being ridden on the road.It just happened while it was being ridden along and there was no crash. It seems it could be due to metal fatigue. The photos show the extent of the break and if I was an owner of such a bike, I would be a little concerned and would be keeping a close eye on that part of the frame.

• Like 1

That is a really weird picture.

It did not separate at a weld

The break just looks so clean & in the box sextion

of the metal.

Anything is possible of course but

I find it hard to believe & have never seen metal do that

It is steel right not alloy on that bike?

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Looks like the owner has been landing heavily on the front wheel, the worst of that happened whenever they had a harsh landing on the front end. The evitable happened while trial riding? He's a lucky boy not to have had total failure while riding on the road.

But to be honest, what trial rider / motocross rider doesn't inspect their bike, a crack in that location, especially after heavy front landing should have been visible and the owner really should have checked the whole front end over after landing hard enough to produce this kind of failure.

Looks like the owner has been landing heavily on the front wheel, the worst of that happened whenever they had a harsh landing on the front end. The evitable happened while trial riding? He's a lucky boy not to have had total failure while riding on the road.

But to be honest, what trial rider / motocross rider doesn't inspect their bike, a crack in that location, especially after heavy front landing should have been visible and the owner really should have checked the whole front end over after landing hard enough to produce this kind of failure.

the bike had only done trail riding, not trial or mx. in the rideasia forum, there are further more photos where one pointed out the crack developed just below the welding area.

my guess is a small horizontal crack developed below the welding area. the constant heavy and rough front traction in trail riding probably further expand the crack.

• Like 1

I think the last post was well thought out and in my opinion what most likely actually happened. The bike was not crashed and having ridden a few of them myself, I doubt if there had been that many heavy front wheel landings. They are quite a heavy bike and not that powerful or fast. It is hard to imagine anybody getting them into the air that often and I don't think there would have been that many heavy front wheel landings. At the end of the day, even if you had banged the front down a few times or knocked into a few bumps, you would probably hope that your dual purpose bike would be able to handle it without the frame giving way. I hope it was something to do with the quality of welding or metal used in that actual bike and not some design flaw.

So if a frame on a Kawasaki breaks it is the fault of the owner, cause he has misused the bike. If such thing happens on a chinese bike its the crappy quality. Its an an easy world :)

I hope the owner contacts Kawasaki and i would like to hear whats their explaination.

If i rent a dual sport i can never be sure that such thing wont happen? Imo the frame should be strong enough. If not i wouldn't buy a second hand KLX.

I am still amazed by this picture.

I have never seen steel break like this so cleanly.

That top section near the tank is a darn near perfect snap.

Has anyone here ever seen steel do that? I mean even if drawn thin

steel will distort & not rip clean like that.

The picture of this frames breaks reminds me of what we use to call Pot Metal when I was

a kid. You could not weld or repair it though.

Because it would just melt & fall apart. But it could snap like these pics.

Edited by mania

I am still amazed by this picture.

I have never seen steel break like this so cleanly.

That top section near the tank is a darn near perfect snap.

Has anyone here ever seen steel do that? I mean even if drawn thin

steel will distort & not rip clean like that.

The picture of this frames breaks reminds me of what we use to call Pot Metal when I was

a kid. You could not weld or repair it though.

Because it would just melt & fall apart. But it could snap like these pics.

Agreed, almost looks like someone has cut through it. Maybe he upset his neighbours and they retaliated Thai style laugh.png

Just checked my KLX 250 ( almost 2 years 10.000 km's) and all looks OK.whistling.gif

Good to know though .

When i clean my bike, i always give it a good inspection ( loose bolts etc)

I never came across such a issue on a KLX 250, it might be just a incident and not a structual problem / design flaw

I'm curious what Kawsaki tells the owner of this bike although it's problaly out of warranty.

the picture is unbelievable. i work as inspector of steel and never seen something breaks that clean. there should be some plastic deformation. and it breaks in 2 places, main tube and smaller tube - unbelievable. looks like its been cut with a hack saw

the picture is unbelievable. i work as inspector of steel and never seen something breaks that clean. there should be some plastic deformation. and it breaks in 2 places, main tube and smaller tube - unbelievable. looks like its been cut with a hack saw

That is the word I was looking for deformation I said distort

But yes I agree 100%

But something is odd about those breaks.

They are not normal at all. That metal is somehow brittle to snap clean like that.

Metal like steel is malleable (pliable) by nature. Something in the metallurgical ratio/mix was wrong

with that metal to allow that to happen. No matter what the usage or strike against it.

But yes I agree 100%

They are not normal at all. That metal is somehow brittle to snap clean like that.

Metal like steel is malleable (pliable) by nature. Something in the metallurgical ratio/mix was wrong

with that metal to allow that to happen. No matter what the usage or strike against it.

If you read the spec on the bike the steel is high tensile, stronger than mild steel but more brittle too, there is always a compromise with these type of alloys. Judging by the position of dent in the tank and the fracture, they are connected. My guess is the impact which damaged the tank set up hairline fracture which then gave way to produce this.

There is nothing unusual in such a clean break in high tensile alloy steel, which doesn't perform that well in side impact situations, worse with box section than round tube. Frames like these are designed to handle the forces which occur during "normal" use, not side impacts. Jumps cause very little shock load to the frame, absorbed by the tyres and suspension (otherwise you would break) and the frame shape is working for you too.

In essence "it has had a wack", buy a new frame.

One thing this incident does highlight, is not to ignore accident damage.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

If you read the spec on the bike the steel is high tensile, stronger than mild steel but more brittle too, there is always a compromise with these type of alloys. Judging by the position of dent in the tank and the fracture, they are connected. My guess is the impact which damaged the tank set up hairline fracture which then gave way to produce this.

Thanks that is interesting

Still does make me wonder though because I thought even High Tensile Steel has always

had good yield strengths.

But it is interesting to know it is made out of High Tensile steel.

Even 30 years ago bikes that would see dirt riding had chromoly tube frames.

I guess maybe costs prohibit use these days?

^ Found this on google:

2008 Kawasaki KLX250S Q & A with Product Manager Karl Edmondson

Q: Why did the engineers stick with a steel perimeter frame, instead of a KX motocross type aluminum twin-spar design?

A: There are actually two reasons for using a steel box-section frame on the KLX250S. First; a steel frame –and its smaller cross-section spars– gives a more comfortable ride on pavement, thanks to its natural vibration damping abilities. In other words; this frame is smoother and more-comfortable than a stiff twin-spar aluminum motocross setup. Second, the use of steel box-section spars is more-efficient for mass production and therefore less expensive than a cast/extruded aluminum design. This helps keep the total price low, for buyers in this segment.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

I spoke to a KLX owner and he said that dent in the tank is on all of them. Apparently it is to allow the plastic panels to fit in fairly flush. I don't own one so I cant check. Any owners out there who could verify this?

It would be hard to imagine the bike took a big enough whack to that side to cause a frame to break

given the fact that radiator is in perfect shape

• Like 1

Before we all start guess it's maybe better to build of the bike and send the frame to a company who can XRay and ultrasonic the frame.

The best be if Kawasaki would take in this the leading hand and play back the results.

Regards wai2.gif

PS In the early 70 problem like his came for by a serie of Kreidler motorbikes. 7 months later the source of the problems was found and solved. All motorbikes from the same serie could get a new frame and overbuild. In total about 40 bikes all in use by the police.

I spoke to a KLX owner and he said that dent in the tank is on all of them. Apparently it is to allow the plastic panels to fit in fairly flush. I don't own one so I cant check. Any owners out there who could verify this?

That changes everything if there wasn't a prang, my revised conclusion is now a material fault and it is worth checking out the broken section in the lower tube to see if it is of uniform section.

It broke in the right place for a frame made from a high tensile pre-tempered tube, as the heat wave from the welding would effect the temper a few centimetres from the weld and if the tube were quenched could produce a brittle patch. I doubt very much is the frames were heat treated as an entity, but am not familiar with bike frame production.

What was the bike like in terms of vibration prior to the fracture, can you remember?

These are made from HT steel instead of an aluminium alloy, for one reason, cost. The cost of high grade aluminium is huge in comparison and any of the cheaper aluminium alloys will suffer all sorts of problems including the deadly age hardening. A lot of folding bikes snapped in half without warning a few years ago for that very reason, a terrifying thought on a motorcycle.

My best guess now is a material fault, contact Kawasaki they may send you a new frame, I pestered Seiko to destruction and they eventually sent me a new watch, I threatened them with a Youtube story, got a lovely chronometer.

Good luck and remember the words of Lawrence of Arabia when dealing with Kawasaki "No prisoners".

Edited by AllanB

• 8 months later...

As far as I know its not steel, its Aluminium.

Just checked for Frames and you can buy some in Ebay for ONLY around 150 USD... I really dont understand why Kawasaki has such a poor Customer Service and such WEAK frame work

I have problems with my frame too. My stand broke out of the frame after my KLX bought in Phuket was a year old... Kawasaki here refused to help us, said they dont do welding works...Sent me to a welder, and now after 8month it broke out again and the hole is even bigger...

DO NOT BUY ANY KAWASAKI IN THAILAND ... there is NO such thing like a CUSTOMER SERVICE...

Something like here on the picture is a CRIME... what happend if you are on the road with your bike, going 100 or 160km/h ????? you are fuc.king DEAD

They do Freejumping with KAWASAKI BIKES??? looks like suicide

kawaframe021pb6hiuod7f.jpg

But yes I agree 100%

In the USA, much more of the usual motorcycles are sold than anywhere in the world. And all motorcycle possible manufacturing hazards/problems reported by owners are researched and evaluated they're all controlled by a independent government organization.

When we look at the figures that the American government organization for announcing recalls has recalled Thai manufactured motorcycles from the well known Japanese brands. Compared to how many times they recalled a product from manufacturers like Lifan, Keeway or any of the better Chinese manufacturers, we would see something that contradict the general attitude this forum.

For everybody to check, the leader of serious recalls, is products made by Thai Kawasaki. In the last year only we can find frame welding problems for several models, brake failure, and several electronic failures which some would seriously shorten the life expectancy of a motorcycle rider....

As this is a US Government organization, Lifan also has a few recalls, but all of them are related that they excite government exhaust emission

Now I try to be no-partial, but when it comes to possible brakes and frame failures I have the feeling that the problems with the Thai made Japanese brand-names are a bit more dangerous.

In the USA, much more of the usual motorcycles are sold than anywhere in the world. And all motorcycle possible manufacturing hazards/problems reported by owners are researched and evaluated they're all controlled by a independent government organization.

When we look at the figures that the American government organization for announcing recalls has recalled Thai manufactured motorcycles from the well known Japanese brands. Compared to how many times they recalled a product from manufacturers like Lifan, Keeway or any of the better Chinese manufacturers, we would see something that contradict the general attitude this forum.

For everybody to check, the leader of serious recalls, is products made by Thai Kawasaki. In the last year only we can find frame welding problems for several models, brake failure, and several electronic failures which some would seriously shorten the life expectancy of a motorcycle rider....

As this is a US Government organization, Lifan also has a few recalls, but all of them are related that they excite government exhaust emission

Now I try to be no-partial, but when it comes to possible brakes and frame failures I have the feeling that the problems with the Thai made Japanese brand-names are a bit more dangerous.

THANKS Richard-BKK for this post.... As deeper I dig, as more shit comes up... and i am by far not the only one complaining with Kawasaki made in Thailand anymore...

What I dont understand is, why they are not just replace the part, say an excuse, give the CUSTOMER an extra cap or whatever and everything is fine... NO, in THAILAND they NEED people go mental, before anything happend.

I bet, if I visit this shop in Phuket town with my tall police friend who can look very serious, I got a new frame and an apology already...

If they want to play it this way, ok fine with me. I will make so many negative comercial about Kawasaki bikes until only idiots buying one...