Cloud Storage, What Do You Use?

Tywais

Having just got my ASUS Infinity tf700 tablet and it came with its own cloud storage pre-installed decided to peek around at what other free common cloud storage is available and compare them. These are the ones I've set up free accounts with. None are terribly fast but that is due to ADSL upload limits of 1Mbps so large images can take time, but as it is working in the background not a real issue. Have CX on my HTC Desire, ASUS tf700 and my Windows 7 system and works well. Dropbox also have no issues with but 2GB is a bit small. ASUS Webstorage, also works fine. Google Drive I use for word docs or excel spreadsheets mainly. Have not tried Skydrive yet.

dropbox - probably the most common one I hear about on the forum. 2GB free storage

Google Drive - 5GB free storage but seems to be mainly for apps such as spreadsheet, word, etc. and photos. Not sure about general storage

Microsoft Skydrive - 7GB free storage

ASUS WebStorage - 5GB but more if your ASUS device came with it pre-installed.

CX.com - 10GB free storage. So far I prefer this one, partly due to the larger space but also the operation is pretty clean. When you drop a file into the CXcloud folder you get a pop up message shortly indicating it is syncing.

post-566-0-72746100-1355646229_thumb.jpg

I would not trust any of them,

having lost all the files on my seedbox last year when a rogue operator decided to trash all the servers. :bah:

Home backup is my choice.

With your tablet you should be able to ftp files over the home wireless network

to your pc

• Like 2

Another vote for Skydrive but not for backup, it's a handy way of keeping my current work available at all my locations.

Backup is to my UNRAID server at home, important stuff is also on the work server in the office.

I use MS SkyDrive but everything what I upload is in a encrypted Truecrypt container.

Good point. An alternative is BoxCryptor which will encrypt/decrypt automatically before upload/download. I've also installed it for testing purposes. Works on most Cloud services.

BoxCryptor secures your data in the cloud – no matter if you use Dropbox, Box.net, Google Drive or any other cloud storage provider.

Found an interesting article on Dropbox failure. So encryption seems to be a smart move.

A few weeks ago, Dropbox revealed that it had a bug, allowing everyone to log into other people’s account using nothing more than a username. It was patched within a couple of hours, but the problem still stands – how to keep your data safe and for your eyes only in Dropbox?

The Right Answer? Data Encryption.

First of all, if you’re using any free (cloud) service, you should know enough to be careful with the data you’re uploading. Yes, they use super-duper encryption and data protection techniques, but none of it is in your control. For all as you know, I could make a Dropbox clone and get all of your confidential files, right? That’s the level of suspicion you must have when dealing with cloud storage apps.

The only right solution, aside from not uploading files into the cloud would be data encryption on your end. Whether it’s just a password protected archive or something more advanced is your decision. After all, you’re the only one who knows how important and/or confidential your files really are. Your contact list might be pretty important, but it’s not as important as those nuclear missile launch codes you have icon_wink.gif

Using TrueCrypt to Protect Your Data in Dropbox

TrueCrypt is free, open source disk encryption software and you can get it for Windows, MacOS X and Linux. It’s practically a standard for desktop data encryption and even Dropbox itself recommends using TrueCrypt to its users.

One of the best features of TrueCrypt is that you can create an encrypted volume and place it into your Dropbox. Everything that you place inside that volume will be encrypted. If somehow anybody gets its hand on that volume, without your master password, the file will be useless, while still protected.

Domain.me

• Like 1

I do not put anything on cloud storage that is sensitive unless it is well encrypted with a keyfiles and a password

However as well as using Dropbox I find Wuala more flexible and secure. It works with Linux as well as Windows and Android

If somebody here would like to try it they can gain some extra space for themselves and me by using this link

I tend to use Dropbox for work related stuff and Wuala for personal items and things I want to share with friends

Edited by thaimite

I use dropbox because the apps for all my android and Blackberry phones/tablets upload photos/videos without me thinking.

Then my PC downloads those photos/videos without me thinking.

So I don't have to keep transferring files by hand, or worry about a lost or stolen phone.

The chances of my PC and my dropbox account failing at the same time are minimal.

If anyone wants to join, please signup using my referral link, as they give me 500Mb extra space

http://db.tt/bwrQvHl

• Like 1

Was using UbuntuOne. Not so good. Now using Spideroak to keep critical files on two linux machines synched and backed up. It is encrypted and very secure. You forget your password, and you are out of luck. Spideroak doesn't know it. 2gb free. Very pleased.

Was using UbuntuOne. Not so good. Now using Spideroak to keep critical files on two linux machines synched and backed up. It is encrypted and very secure. You forget your password, and you are out of luck. Spideroak doesn't know it. 2gb free. Very pleased.

I tried SpiderOak and wanted to like it, but found it not very friendly.

Maybe it has improved recently?

I tried SpiderOak and wanted to like it, but found it not very friendly.

Maybe it has improved recently?

I don't know. I just started using it a few days ago. I find it easy to use and far more reliable than UbuntOne. Once I set up a sync between two computers, there was nothing else to do. It takes care of itself.

I use dropbox because the apps for all my android and Blackberry phones/tablets upload photos/videos without me thinking.

So I don't have to keep transferring files by hand, or worry about a lost or stolen phone.

The chances of my PC and my dropbox account failing at the same time are minimal.

If anyone wants to join, please signup using my referral link, as they give me 500Mb extra space

Same here, the ease of use with the camera pics auto syncing over the cloud to my PC and laptop is just cool.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Agreed. I wouldn't use any online service (especially free service) to store important backups.

I would only use these for a 3rd backup copy, or for transferring large files to others.

And I'd certainly never put anything sensitive on there (such bank account details etc...)

Found an interesting article on Dropbox failure. So encryption seems to be a smart move.

A few weeks ago, Dropbox revealed that it had a bug, allowing everyone to log into other people’s account using nothing more than a username. It was patched within a couple of hours, but the problem still stands – how to keep your data safe and for your eyes only in Dropbox?

The Right Answer? Data Encryption.

First of all, if you’re using any free (cloud) service, you should know enough to be careful with the data you’re uploading. Yes, they use super-duper encryption and data protection techniques, but none of it is in your control. For all as you know, I could make a Dropbox clone and get all of your confidential files, right? That’s the level of suspicion you must have when dealing with cloud storage apps.

The only right solution, aside from not uploading files into the cloud would be data encryption on your end. Whether it’s just a password protected archive or something more advanced is your decision. After all, you’re the only one who knows how important and/or confidential your files really are. Your contact list might be pretty important, but it’s not as important as those nuclear missile launch codes you have icon_wink.gif

Using TrueCrypt to Protect Your Data in Dropbox

TrueCrypt is free, open source disk encryption software and you can get it for Windows, MacOS X and Linux. It’s practically a standard for desktop data encryption and even Dropbox itself recommends using TrueCrypt to its users.

One of the best features of TrueCrypt is that you can create an encrypted volume and place it into your Dropbox. Everything that you place inside that volume will be encrypted. If somehow anybody gets its hand on that volume, without your master password, the file will be useless, while still protected.

Domain.me

For android users and Dropbox, might I suggest this

http://code.google.com/p/cryptonite/

Same here, the ease of use with the camera pics auto syncing over the cloud to my PC and laptop is just cool.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

It looks like you have an android phone already soi if it has a camera then it can already do that.

I have 13GB free space on drop box cause when I turned on the camera sync feature it uploaded all my pictures and extended my free space. No idea is they are still doing the promo but the camera sync it's a built in feature.

I usually use JustCloud and DropBox. Both are compatible with ios and windows. Both provides upto 2GB free. JustCloud is 100% Automated. Both best online cloud storage provides real time sync features. Other features including Anywhere file Access, Unlimited Backup Storage Space, Drag-and-Drop Support and many more cloud storage features. So i recommend JustCloud then DropBox after experiencing both top class storage services.

Get more customize options as i did from review website "Cloudreviews"

having lost all the files on my seedbox last year when a rogue operator decided to trash all the servers. bah.gif

Home backup is my choice.

With your tablet you should be able to ftp files over the home wireless network

to your pc

You can't lose all your files because they are stored on the device with which you opened the account - at least they are with SkyDrive. I guess if you chose not to sync any of the files on any of your devices then you could lose them but that would be a bit silly.

I use SkyDrive and Dropbox. Only just installed Dropbox because when I used SkyDrive with CloudOn (an iPad app that lets you access online versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint to view, edit and create files), every time I made a change to a document on the iPad and then went to my PC, SkyDrive told me there was an Office file that needed my attention. When I clicked on the link and opened the document in question, it told me that my changes could not be saved (I hadn't made any from the PC) and did I want to keep the server version or the local copy. It then ends up making two or more copies of the same file so it was a bit useless as a cloud storage solution.

I don't know if it's a SkyDrive problem or an issue with CloudOn, but somebody might find my inane ramblings useful! Dropbox has had no such problems so far.

Edited by inthepink

I wouldn't store squit in "the cloud" unless I didn't give a toss if someone else could see it.

Did you miss the encryption discussion above? For example, Dropbox has an encrypted app for it so when you drop it in it is encrypted before synching to the cloud.

Just so we are clear on this, dropbox uses AES 256 encryption (same as US top secret) for everything. It also uses Amazon S3 which is quite secure. If you also chose to use more encryption then so be it but you are just encrypting files that are getting encrypted. The only real advantage you gain by adding another layer of encryption is so that the files stored on your local machine are encrypted.

In any case, not matter what you do with dropbox, all your files are encrypted in the cloud using AES 256.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/27/en

I wouldn't store squit in "the cloud" unless I didn't give a toss if someone else could see it.

Did you miss the encryption discussion above? For example, Dropbox has an encrypted app for it so when you drop it in it is encrypted before synching to the cloud.

You just carry on.

As I said, I wouldn't.....

Just so we are clear on this, dropbox uses AES 256 encryption (same as US top secret) for everything. It also uses Amazon S3 which is quite secure. If you also chose to use more encryption then so be it but you are just encrypting files that are getting encrypted. The only real advantage you gain by adding another layer of encryption is so that the files stored on your local machine are encrypted.

In any case, not matter what you do with dropbox, all your files are encrypted in the cloud using AES 256.

The problem with DropBox compared to Wuala and some others is that the keys are held on the DropBox servers so in theory the employees could if they wanted (or ordered by a court ) decrypt your information. Wuala and others like them do not have acess to your passwords, and hence the keys so it is harder for people to decrypt.

Having said that when your files are stored on the cloud somebody can in theory get copies of them and then work 24/7 to extract the data if they wanted or were requested to by a court)

Thus I never put anything sensitive on the cloud, and if I do use dropbox, for something sensitive it is double encrypted so only I have the keys

The problem with DropBox compared to Wuala and some others is that the keys are held on the DropBox servers so in theory the employees could if they wanted (or ordered by a court ) decrypt your information. Wuala and others like them do not have acess to your passwords, and hence the keys so it is harder for people to decrypt.

Having said that when your files are stored on the cloud somebody can in theory get copies of them and then work 24/7 to extract the data if they wanted or were requested to by a court)

Thus I never put anything sensitive on the cloud, and if I do use dropbox, for something sensitive it is double encrypted so only I have the keys

With Jungledisk the files are encrypted/decrypted on your local machine and only you have the key.