Studying Online With Uk University Whilst In Thailand

daftboy

Hi all,

Was thinking to find a course which can be studied online from a UK University (whilst living here in Thailand).

Curious if anyone else is doing sometthing similar? Would be interesting to know which University you study with,

what subject, is your course totally online or do you have to attend once in a while?

I've got a Bsc so would be looking for a postgraduate course I think, but maybe something that leads directly to

a job.

My main aim I think is to be able to use the qualification to obtain short contract work in the UK.

Ideally I'd like to be able to go back to the UK for maybe 5 months a year pick up some work and then back to

Thailand. Is anyone else doing this? What do you do back in farrang land?

Cheers

University of London

I've been considering the above. I know some people who have completed or are currently doing online degrees from the above and they rave about it.

What sort of work / career do you have in mind?

Save a lot of money for 6,000 Bath I will send you Medical Degree from the school you name and it will as good as any degree you get from the University of London. Both can be used and only used to wipe you known the rest

Distance learning / on-line learning is like any method / type of school - there are good ones, not so good, and waste of time and money ones.

There are various methods of on-line learning (from Universities) and in some cases the method is controlled by the education policies of specific countries. Other countries leave it as an open scenario and let universities do whatever they want (lack of control, therefore sometimes lack of quality comes to mind).

Some examples:

- You watch the professor on screen in real time and you can ask questions in real time, typical Skype type of set-up, but you must be wide awake at the scheduled time.

- You watch the professor on screen in real time and you can ask questions by e-mail, typical Skype set up but only one way, again you must be wide awake at the scheduled time.

Notes re above:

1. Some universities have electronic processes to record who is on-line (attendance records).

2. Some professors (with instant access to a list of students on-line) will ask questions to specific students and in some cases the students live image comes up on the main lecture screen (usually a live cameo). But this is very time consuming (nothing necessarily wrong with that) and it would require pre-testing of the spoken English language capabilities, or whatever langauge is being used, of each student. Remembering of course that there are many folks who can read and understand a language,
and/or can listen and understand well, but cannot speak the language, but
can give quite good written answers, - Many Japanese fit this example in regard to English language.

3. There are already quite sophisticatd on line distance learning methodologies which have credibility and quality, however distance learning is still in it's first / second generations. In the next few years there will proably be a generic approach at the minimum (of quality) level and no doubt the already sophisticated methods will become even more sophisticated within the next few years.

- You watch a recorded lecture at a time convenient to you (could be very recent / could be a few years old). In some cases you can ask questions by e-mail, and in some cases you cannot.

- Then there are distance learning 'methods' which have very little / zero on screen activity. The professor sets reading objectives by e-mail (e.g. one specific chapter, and perhaps the professor also sends a set of PowerPoint slides focused on the most important learning points) and students can ask questions by e-mail. In some cases the answer is shared only with the student who posed the question, in some cases the question and asnwer is shared with all students (in this case the name of the student who asked the question is usually not revealed to the whole class). Then the professor sets 1, 2, or 10 questions whatever which must be answered by e-mail by a deadline date.

In other words, if your contemplating distance learning make sure you ask some qeustions about the methodology and be comfortable with whatever method is used. It's worth asking for a few amulmni names and e-mail addresses and asking questions to these folks, to really understand how it all works, and to get comments about quality, etc

Edited by scorecard