3Bb, And True Internet Issues? Slow To Load Pages Lately Yet Speed Tests Are Super Fast

media

We have 2 internet connections. 3BB 15mb, and TRUE 50mb

Both test well using speedtest.net to USA, UK etc.. today 3BB 13mbps, True 43mbps to USA

But regardless of these attractive speedtest results.. recently just loading basic webpages seem to take ages, long slow page delays before anything comes up, its like going back to a dial up, I request a page and nothing happens for 10 seconds. There seems to be something wrong. I was wondering if it is the Thai ministry of info and communication causing the hold up?

I wonder if they are scanning every page that I load first?

How comes I get huge fast speed test speeds yet slow webpages?

Anyone else experiencing this problem lately? 3BB used to work perfectly, FAST and reliable, its just recently im getting the issues its driving me mad, I was thinking about going back to CAT in hope to get away from this issue, bloody annoying having 50mbps internet yet SLOW page speeds

I have recently had a similar problem but not in Thailand. The first thing to do is check whether you have a virus. Viruses are notorious for slowing the performance of a computer. Assuming you have scanned with your anti virus software and found nothing then look out for surreptitious downloads that have been made into the computer. My computer was almost crippled by downloads from a site called babylon.com. It took over the browser and slowed the computer down to a snails pace. In your case I would be particularly suspicious of something like this given that you are getting slow performance from both ISP'S.

This fits exactly my problem I am having for the last few weeks. On top of that, my connection drops a few times a day, usually for a few minutes. I have the 1499.-- /16MB 3BB and speed-test looks mostly good up to 18MB.

Today after several other techs stopped by during the weeks, a friendly young kid stopped by. I told him my SNR was way to low between 4-6 for good quality. He checked my phone line digitally and told me many people are having the same problem, as the line was not "good" for anything above 12MB / 999.--. I smiled and he said I show you. He called their office and downgraded me to 12 MB and restarted the router. Voila SNR up to 13, Speed 13MB and pages definitely loading faster than with the more expensive account.

I then went to their office to downgrade back to 12 MB and so far it has worked an not disconnected anymore. The tech said to wait for fiber-optics before next upgrade.

SNR value can be seen under status in most routers. Some require a special command. Just google for your router. PF.

This fits exactly my problem I am having for the last few weeks. On top of that, my connection drops a few times a day, usually for a few minutes. I have the 1499.-- /16MB 3BB and speed-test looks mostly good up to 18MB.

Today after several other techs stopped by during the weeks, a friendly young kid stopped by. I told him my SNR was way to low between 4-6 for good quality. He checked my phone line digitally and told me many people are having the same problem, as the line was not "good" for anything above 12MB / 999.--. I smiled and he said I show you. He called their office and downgraded me to 12 MB and restarted the router. Voila SNR up to 13, Speed 13MB and pages definitely loading faster than with the more expensive account.

I then went to their office to downgrade back to 12 MB and so far it has worked an not disconnected anymore. The tech said to wait for fiber-optics before next upgrade.

SNR value can be seen under status in most routers. Some require a special command. Just google for your router. PF.

common problem,Ive stepped down from16 to 12,too far from the pole

I have the 3BB premier connection and haven't noticed any change. There has to be some reason why I have to pay 1200 baht per month for only 3Mb of download speed.

A lot of people seem to forget that the speed they pay for on these cheap services is the maximum possible speed - and usually only to servers in Thailand. YOU ARE SHARING. Probably the only time you're going to see maximum numbers is on good bitorrents. Even my 3BB permier service isn't good enough to have a reliable connection to some US servers. The spikes and troughs cause momentary disconnections which are very irritating.

I think that 3BB speed tests on Speedtest.net are useless because they always return pings of about 30 - 50 ms. True pings to the US would be around 250ms at their fastest. Are they faking these tests?

To get a much better idea of quality of connection, try this test: http://myspeed.visua...e.com/index.php

Here's a comparison of Speedtest.net vs Myspeed, both to servers in LA.

Speedtest.net: 3.01 Mbps /0.78 Mbps (ping = 49ms)

My Connection server: 508 kbps/816 kbps (ping = 240ms) Quality of service about 30%

Which would you believe is more accurate?

Edited by tropo

If you use a VPN server in Singapore you can increase your speed to and from a distant server significantly as you can route all your traffic through Singapore. I find that 3BB sends a lot of traffic to the USA through India - which involves a lot more hops than via Singapore. I can reduce the hops to a West Coast (USA) server by 6 using the Singapore based VPN. These VPN servers also use compression technology to further increase speeds.

Using the above Myconnection server test for comparisons.

Without VPN (as above): 508 kbps/816 kbps (quality of service 30%) (ping 240ms)

With VPN: 2.65 Mbps/ 841kbps (quality of service 72%) (ping 259ms)

Edited by tropo

True was fast about a month ago. Now the pages load slowly. Maybe it's a DNS issue.

Peak season, more people on the net? More subscribers in your area to share with? Some bandwidth hogs moved in nearby and download bit torrents 24/7?

They still have limited coverage, so once they start in a new area the first users will get faster speeds than later on. They can't even service my area in Cosy Beach. They probably rely on the first new customers in a new area to pay for their first lines in.

How can you ever make a valid complaint about speed when they openly state you're sharing with many others?

Edited by tropo

True was fast about a month ago. Now the pages load slowly. Maybe it's a DNS issue.

Peak season, more people on the net? More subscribers in your area to share with? Some bandwidth hogs moved in nearby and download bit torrents 24/7?

They still have limited coverage, so once they start in a new area the first users will get faster speeds than later on. They can't even service my area in Cosy Beach. They probably rely on the first new customers in a new area to pay for their first lines in.

How can you ever make a valid complaint about speed when they openly state you're sharing with many others?

Telling you that you are sharing doesn't make it right......they are still charging you for a speed they frequently cannot supply.

Telling you that you are sharing doesn't make it right......they are still charging you for a speed they frequently cannot supply.

Make it right? They supply a shared bandwidth - it's in the contract. That's above board. How can they be responsible for everyone downloading bit torrents in your neighborhood.

Why do you think 3G services have to limit bandwidth after a set allowance?

I think it is quite ridiculous for people on cheap shared services to complain about speed. If you need guaranteed speed get a dedicated line or buy a service with a lower contention ratio. CAT state that their HiNet services work on a 1:5 ratio.... only problem people don't want to pay the extra money.

eg. 7/1: 1550, 8/1: 2290, 9/1: 3200, 10/1: 4500, 12/1: 7200 (not including VAT)

These are shared 1:5.

Private line 12/1: 10500 baht

No, people want 10000 Mb speeds for 500 baht and spend the whole day complaining.

The customers see numbers on the promotion sheets but don't understand them.

Edited by tropo