The Beers In Thailand

thelegend

Having recently arrived from Aus I am increasingly aware of the terrible quality of all the Thai Beers available, and find after discussion with my mates that this opinion is widely held . At best it is a tasteless chemical swill that gives little taste or enjoyment for good money spent. I am man who loves his beer but who seriously wants Thai Brewers to do better. Time for them to look overseas and learn how to do better,or slowly they risk many drinkers looking elsewhere for libations of quality.

This therefor is a call to arms! Let us protest loud and long! Demand improvement and a new range including Ales and Pilsners! Drinkers Arise!! Life can be better!! Join the revolution NOW!!!

Edited by endure
Font
  • Like 2

You are absolutely 100% correct pal. I've been saying this for years. Watch out you'll get arguments about how wonderful the swill is here. i flat out quit drinking beers on account of it. Nasty Swill? You bet it is and there are no exceptions

Hey Fellow Beer Snob, Good to see at least one intelligent discerning yobo also on this sight besides myself.Obviously many who have little taste or have gone past careing. Have found a place that stocks German beer......Bloody excellent but a bit costly..... at home I brew my own for about 5 baht a stubbie.

Of the domestic, widely available beers I find Chang Export to be the best, with Singha second. By far the most important criteria here is the fill date. To the extent that you can pick/choose, always look for the most recent fill date which can usually be found somewhere on the label/can/case. The older the fill date the worse it tastes here primarily owing to the extreme temperatures the beer is exposed to after manufacture.

Ok, I'll be first to disagree.

Im Aussie and the beer in Thailand is good. Whats wrong with it? Easy to drink in that hot sticky weather, cheap. Have you tried Leo? What do you want op? Coopers?..absolute <deleted>. VB, Caaaarrrrlton Draught?...if you dont like it then dont drink it!

ps, for the price mate, for the price!!thumbsup.gif or theres always those pink colored vodka drinks perhaps you prefer?

Edited by krisb

Im Aussie and the beer in Thailand is good. Whats wrong with it? Easy to drink in that hot sticky weather, cheap. Have you tried Leo? What do you want op? Coopers?..absolute <deleted>. VB, Caaaarrrrlton Draught?...if you dont like it then dont drink it!

ps, for the price mate, for the price!!thumbsup.gif or theres always those pink colored vodka drinks perhaps you prefer?

Being an Ozzie I can undertsand your outlook, your country isnt exactly up there when we talk about premium beers, West End Export and Southwarks.

Have you ever tried, Red Horse, Cheers Extra or Beer Thai?

Chang have had how many attempts to make beer, Chang, Chang Draft, Chang Lite, Chang Classic and now Chang export, each and every one more putrid than the previous.

I dont like it I dont drink it, would rather have a cuppa tea.

Post #9 details the problems, thought this cartel would be broken with the Asean agreement.

• Like 1

Being an Ozzie I can undertsand your outlook, your country isnt exactly up there when we talk about premium beers, West End Export and Southwarks.

Chang have had how many attempts to make beer, Chang, Chang Draft, Chang Lite, Chang Classic and now Chang export, each and every one more putrid than the previous.

Post #9 details the problems, thought this cartel would be broken with the Asean agreement.

Now you wanna bring race into it. Good onya grumble bum.

Now you wanna bring race into it. Good onya grumble bum.

You are the one slagging off Ozzie beers, not me, I was agreeing with you about Ozzie beers.

What Ozzie beer do you suggest I drink next time I am there?

Didnt know beers were a race, however I am partial to a drop of German beer, cant stand the gassy fizzy Euro piss that passes for beer in these parts.

Red Horse!!! that <deleted> is deadly!!!! 12-15% Alcohol

Sadly the only way to drink Thai beer is to add lemonade.

Now that is funny!!!!! I am enjoying all the comments, so thanks very much. To clarify, I was not really interested in comparing Thai Beer with Aussie, but rather commenting on the poor quality of Thai beer. I love a beer but find it increasingly difficult to cop the local crap...... so at considerable expense I drink German or Pommy stuff. I cannot accept Krisb's assertion that the cheap price of Chang makes it acceptable......crap is crap at any price.... to save even more Kris, why not seek out some second hand beer.....I reckon that would be really cheap....yum yum !!! Further, I have been brewing my own in Aus for 20 years and reckon I have learned a little in that time ......Currently I brew a variety of Coopers ales and largers.....all are delicious and cost about 4baht a stubbie . Surely the Thai Brewers could lift their game !!!!

Sadly the only way to drink Thai beer is to add lemonade.

Now that is funny!!!!! I am enjoying all the comments, so thanks very much. To clarify, I was not really interested in comparing Thai Beer with Aussie, but rather commenting on the poor quality of Thai beer. I love a beer but find it increasingly difficult to cop the local crap...... so at considerable expense I drink German or Pommy stuff. I cannot accept Krisb's assertion that the cheap price of Chang makes it acceptable......crap is crap at any price.... to save even more Kris, why not seek out some second hand beer.....I reckon that would be really cheap....yum yum !!! Further, I have been brewing my own in Aus for 20 years and reckon I have learned a little in that time ......Currently I brew a variety of Coopers ales and largers.....all are delicious and cost about 4baht a stubbie . Surely the Thai Brewers could lift their game !!!!

Vietnamese Carlsberg is the solution.

I confirm my status as a beer snob. I have found all of the locally produced beer in Thailand to be almost undrinkable. The best locally produced pigswill is Leo, which I would classify as just about drinkable if you've spent the last four days crawling across the Sahara dying of thirst. Personally, I search out English real ale where I can find it and Guinness if I can't. You can also get some tolerably good German wheat beer in Pattaya.

A further problem and it's a problem with all beer in Thailand is that of bar owners economizing on electricity and serving the beer too warm.

In Thailand there is too much passing trade. If they serve warm beer, crap beer or warm crap beer it doesn't matter a lot because every couple of weeks there will be a turnover in customers. I agree with the comment about tea. I would rather drink tea anytime than lousy warm local Thai beer. But then I'm also a tea snob so I have to stay at home to enjoy it or take my own tea bags!

I confirm my status as a beer snob. I have found all of the locally produced beer in Thailand to be almost undrinkable. The best locally produced pigswill is Leo, which I would classify as just about drinkable if you've spent the last four days crawling across the Sahara dying of thirst. Personally, I search out English real ale where I can find it and Guinness if I can't. You can also get some tolerably good German wheat beer in Pattaya.

A further problem and it's a problem with all beer in Thailand is that of bar owners economizing on electricity and serving the beer too warm.

In Thailand there is too much passing trade. If they serve warm beer, crap beer or warm crap beer it doesn't matter a lot because every couple of weeks there will be a turnover in customers. I agree with the comment about tea. I would rather drink tea anytime than lousy warm local Thai beer. But then I'm also a tea snob so I have to stay at home to enjoy it or take my own tea bags!

That's interesting to note, but when you go someplace, you are at their mercy. Is it stupid that they stop selling beer between two and five p.m.? Yes. Is there a way around it? Yes. Go to Family Mart.

I accept the quality of beers served in LOS, and though I did not enjoy the warm beers initially, I learned to accept it as another facet of T.I.T.

I agree that australians cant make good beer, but thai beer is the worst of the worst. Currently a beer revival/ rennaisance (sp?) in the us, amazing beer, amazing prices

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Red Horse!!! that <deleted> is deadly!!!! 12-15% Alcohol

12 to 15% Really ?

Box I bought here (Thailand) was closer to 6% than 12 to 15.

But then I'm also a tea snob so I have to stay at home to enjoy it or take my own tea bags!

If you classify yourself as a "Tea Snob" but use Teabags then I am afraid your self-classification as a "Beer Snob" must also be called into question!

coffee1.gif

Patrick

It isn't practical to carry your own teapot with you!