Live Music In Chiang Mai

just_Elaine

We have company from the states so we decided to check out the live music places since there are so many talented musicians here in Chiang Mai. I thought I would share with you all. (I am not affiliated with any of these business!)

1. Boy Blues Bar – last Saturday night. This is our preferred place for a night of live music. Boy’s band abandoned him this night to go to a concert in Chiang Dao so it turned out to be jam night. It was terrific. They had people playing on the drums, sax, bass guitar, trumpet and, of course, Boy on the guitar. Claire sang one song and another woman sang a couple of songs. Oh, and there was another person on guitar. Fun night. Note: On jam nights, you’ll get a lot of surprises. We’ve seen Chai’s band, Ped (Saxophone Pub – Bangkok), really good harmonica guys, etc.
  2. North Gate – last Friday night. The jazz that is normally played at North Gate usually isn’t the style that we like, but our friends like that type of jazz. However, this night, we really liked most of set played.
  3. Brasserie – last Sunday night. We used to go to the old Brasserie every so often. We miss Took and hope he is doing well. Last Sunday, Brasserie was really cooking. Terrific performances from Mai Blues (great to see him again) and outstanding performance from Chai Blues Band. When it was over, the audience called for more and Chai and his band were nice enough to do one more. It was really a good time. I hope someone posts some video.

We haven’t yet been to check out the Bear Bar (I think this used to be Guitarman), but they seem to have a great web site and we plan to go soon.

My friends are asking how to find out about the various bands and where they are playing. I couldn’t answer this. Maybe someone here knows?
  • Like 1

Those are the same places I go just_Elaine...probably seen you around.smile.png I think you got them all covered in terms of places with excellent musicianship.Haven't been to the Bear Bar.

Riverside and Good View are fun for a night out but the bands are more club bands; not the same caliber as the musicians at the other places mentioned.

And you're right, Brasserie was smoking Sunday night.

Chiang Mai is full of bars with live dynamic Thai bands playing Thai country and rock music, yet so many elderly foreigners insist on attending those same old places where amateurs play endless covers of 'The Eagles', etc.

Of course you might have to interact with real Thai people that don't speak English, which I do understand can be a bit scary for many. Quite sad really.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Chiang Mai is full of bars with live dynamic Thai bands playing Thai country and rock music, yet so many elderly foreigners insist on attending those same old places where amateurs play endless covers of 'The Eagles', etc.

Of course you might have to interact with real Thai people that don't speak English, which I do understand can be a bit scary for many. Quite sad really.

yes in santitham there are about 20 bands back to back in different venues i mean playing all styles of music

all young and all great rock musicians with the rock poses ...fantastic...we were all young once ..and some of still are hahaha

Thailand always was good for rock orientated music and still is

Saw a shit hot band down at yellow playing in amongst their own stuff blinding British indie covers .

thee was a bunch o young Thais mesmerised by the lead guitar player maybe about 14 year old

this girl farang was taking photoes of the drunk farang in the crowd and i told her to take photoes the the thai fans o the guitar player.

go past the ymca and you can hear drummers and guitar players practising

great stuff

pity and complete bull that they have clampded down on imprompto farang having a wee sing song

i would be right up there especially at this time o year

• Like 1

I think that you are assuming quite a bit with what you are saying in your post. Where are these dynamic (professional?) Thai bands playing country and rock music? Please share.

yes in santitham there are about 20 bands back to back in different venues i mean playing all styles of music

all young and all great rock musicians with the rock poses ...fantastic...we were all young once ..and some of still are hahaha

Thailand always was good for rock orientated music and still is

Saw a shit hot band down at yellow playing in amongst their own stuff blinding British indie covers .

thee was a bunch o young Thais mesmerised by the lead guitar player maybe about 14 year old

this girl farang was taking photoes of the drunk farang in the crowd and i told her to take photoes the the thai fans o the guitar player.

go past the ymca and you can hear drummers and guitar players practising

great stuff

pity and complete bull that they have clampded down on imprompto farang having a wee sing song

i would be right up there especially at this time o year

Thanks for posting about stuff for the younger crowd. I've been a bit curious about Yellow, but figure I'm too old to show my face there. And we've walked by some place at night at Santitham and I looked at the people... Too young for me, I think. Yes, I heard someone practicing drums near the Y last Saturday.

This is funny really, just out of curiosity can you name a place that features amateurs playing endless covers of eagles songs? Maybe you mean interbar on T.P. road? .... used to hear Thai bands play eagles quite a bit but they seem to have moved on to radio head.

Brasserie – last Sunday night. We used to go to the old Brasserie every so often. We miss Took and hope he is doing well. Last Sunday, Brasserie was really cooking. Terrific performances from Mai Blues (great to see him again) and outstanding performance from Chai Blues Band. When it was over, the audience called for more and Chai and his band were nice enough to do one more. It was really a good time. I hope someone posts some video.

Apparently Took & Co. have relocated--according to this TripAdvisor post:

x.gifSeptember 28, 2012

As of the 26th September the Brasserie has moved to the corner of Chaiyapoom and Chaiyapoom soi 1. For exact location see here: http://m.google.co.uk/u/m/dkPZtV. Unfortunately Took has had a family emergency and will be out of town for a while. The bar itself is nice but the restaurant is not properly stocked yet. Hence the average ratings, atmosphere was anyway...

My friends are asking how to find out about the various bands and where they are playing.

I think Bear Bar is the only place that bothers to let people know who's playing. They have a mix of stuff, but you can find out who's playing on their web site.

The new Brasserie is worth checking out. It's empty every night, which is sad because the music is great. Mai Blues plays there a few nights a week. And at Bear Bar, come to think of it.

I think that you are assuming quite a bit with what you are saying in your post. Where are these dynamic (professional?) Thai bands playing country and rock music? Please share.

I don't go to the teen places, these are for Thai people in their 30s and over.

BigC at Hang Dong,

A jazz bar just before BigC on the Hang Dong road, if you want a table inside arrive before 7:30

another one, turn left after the lights, then a big long bar called 'Mae Sai' in the car park, best band starts 10pm, GangGeng and Carabao heavily featured.

Santhitham

Oxide two or three bands on each night, along Chang Puak road, 2nd left at the traffic lights just after Thanin Market, left at the 7-11, rigtht and there it is.

Loads more

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Tommo I'm sure just_Elaine was referring to venues with respectable musicians playing blues, jazz and funk. (At one time there was some O.K. reggae to be heard in the area of bars near Zoe in Yellow -- haven't been in a while and things change overnight around here so I can't say now. For those genres above, the 3 venues mentioned above can't be beat. Most of the musicians playing in the above venues are well-trained, well-experienced, and have traveled the world over many years playing their instruments and are well accomplished musicians. There may be some great rock and country bands around. In fact I'm sure there are. I'm not into modern day rock and RAP, hip-hop, etc., and have never liked country music so my post was only in reference to blues, jazz, funk, Mowtown, etc. There are also some well-know Thai singers (adult contemporary kinda thing) playing around places in C.M. At the restaurant in the mooban Suan Non Sri they often have performances by well-known artists in Thailand from about 20 years ago. Tickets ain't cheap at 1500 THB/table and the shows sell out.

As for the comment about elderly foreigners, I've never seen anyone over about age 60 at any of these places laugh.png and me personally, well I'm still about 20 years from retirement age so I don't fit the category. Oh, and plenty of Thais every time I've been to any of the 3 places above-mentioned.wink.png

The covers of Eagles "Hotel California", etc. used to be popular in places like Phuket (usually Filipino bands) many years ago. Don't know about these days though.

There's something for everybody.

I go to Riverside, Good View, Warm Up, and Vision. I have not been to the new Vision.

We haven't been to Riverside in a long time, but it seems to be quite popular. We went to Good View 4-5 years ago with a Thai friend at their request. We were surprised to find the food was quite good and the music was pretty good. Have not tried Warm-up (I think that's on Nimmanhaemin?) and never heard of Vision. Do they play music similar to Good View and Riverside?

My friends are asking how to find out about the various bands and where they are playing.

I think Bear Bar is the only place that bothers to let people know who's playing. They have a mix of stuff, but you can find out who's playing on their web site.

The new Brasserie is worth checking out. It's empty every night, which is sad because the music is great. Mai Blues plays there a few nights a week. And at Bear Bar, come to think of it.

Great to know that Mai Blues is still playing there. We'll try to check it out more often.

BigC at Hang Dong,

A jazz bar just before BigC on the Hang Dong road, if you want a table inside arrive before 7:30

another one, turn left after the lights, then a big long bar called 'Mae Sai' in the car park, best band starts 10pm, GangGeng and Carabao heavily featured.

Santhitham

Oxide two or three bands on each night, along Chang Puak road, 2nd left at the traffic lights just after Thanin Market, left at the 7-11, rigtht and there it is.

Loads more

Thanks for the recommendations. Regarding the Big C reference, there are 2 Big C stores on the same road and I think you mean the one further away from the moat area (the one that used to be Carrefour). Is that right?

I think one of the Brasserie's problems is the same as the one they had at the old place along the river. The good groups don't even START playing until almost 11:00 in the evening. Prior to that there was just some soloist playing for the dining crowd. Unless you are a real night owl the tourists just stop for a while and leave. Unless there is something HAPPENING, the tourists take a quick look and leave, and don' t come back.

I think one of the Brasserie's problems is the same as the one they had at the old place along the river. The good groups don't even START playing until almost 11:00 in the evening. Prior to that there was just some soloist playing for the dining crowd. Unless you are a real night owl the tourists just stop for a while and leave. Unless there is something HAPPENING, the tourists take a quick look and leave, and don' t come back.

I agree. The music should start earlier in the evening. I don't believe there is a dining crowd at the new place. I've been quite a few times and there has only been about 2 other people there each time having soft drinks. Of course I left as nothing was happening. Last Sunday was great though. I hope they have many more nights like that. I don't mind the cover charge for good music like that.

BigC at Hang Dong,

Santhitham

Loads more

Thanks for the recommendations. Regarding the Big C reference, there are 2 Big C stores on the same road and I think you mean the one further away from the moat area (the one that used to be Carrefour). Is that right?

Nope, the close one on the 121 between CM and HD.

The former Carrefore BigC (beyond HD) also has live music at a car park venue called 'country home', good food there too.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I go to Riverside, Good View, Warm Up, and Vision. I have not been to the new Vision.

We haven't been to Riverside in a long time, but it seems to be quite popular. We went to Good View 4-5 years ago with a Thai friend at their request. We were surprised to find the food was quite good and the music was pretty good. Have not tried Warm-up (I think that's on Nimmanhaemin?) and never heard of Vision. Do they play music similar to Good View and Riverside?

Warm up plays similar stuff to riverside and good view. They have 2 stages, one inside but it gets packed and you need to have a table by 8pm or else you have no where to drink/stand. If a band isn't playing it's loud nightclub music and flashing lights, I love this, many of my friends don't. They prefer the chill outside area which also has some good local bands.

Vision seems to have more rock, I got to see Hin Lek Fai there a few months back and the rest of the bands were doing 80's music all night.

I will also mention Tiger kingdom in Town, but I do get bored since its the same sets every night.

Pentatonic in the Zoe's area is fantastic as well. All 70's-90's hard rock. Great to see a Thai with feathered blonde Bon Jovi hair doing guitar solos behind his head!

• Like 1

I agree. The music should start earlier in the evening. I don't believe there is a dining crowd at the new place. I've been quite a few times and there has only been about 2 other people there each time having soft drinks. Of course I left as nothing was happening. Last Sunday was great though. I hope they have many more nights like that. I don't mind the cover charge for good music like that.

I think that Chai Blues is based out of Bangkok these days. It looks like they will be at the Saxophone Pub in Bangkok on the 23rd.

Saw a terrific Thai band - Malang Plaeng - at the hot air balloon festival, Gymkhana Club, a while ago and found out that they play regularly at Tiger Kingdom Bar in town. So a friend and I went there one night and no Malang Plaeng playing. Staff could not tell us which nights Malang Plaeng perform, which is a pity as we live out of town. The band has a website, also with no specific info about where they can be seen. They played amazing Spanish style music and we would love to see them again. If anyone knows where/when we could do this, please post!