Any Experience With Trane Air Cons?

New007

Saw a used unit (18,000 BTU) at an AMORN store today. It's a 2008 model and they repaired it. Looks really good! Are they any good? I need a unit for my guest room. It might be used twice or three times a year. No need to spend 35 or 40k on a new one! Thanks for any input.

I've got a 9,000BTU Trane in my bedroom (already installed when I bought the condo), it's an MCW series; MS-SVW005-TH which I always thought to mean that while Trane is an American company, my AC was built in Thailand. I've had no problem with the unit in three years, just had it cleaned every six months and get the refrigerant topped up. I bought Samsung air conditioners in the living room and other bedroom - you can tell the difference, the Trane is effective but it's noisier, bulkier and doesn't cool as effectively. I wouldn't buy another Trane but as you found a bargain, it should be fine for guests 2-3 times per year.

if you need the " refrigerant topped up" every 6 month, the rip you off or you have a bad installation. It is a closed system and no refilling should be unnecessary if installed correctly unless you have any damage. And if they know their trade they should fix the leakage..

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced two thermostats with Trane models.

Within a year they had turned a ghastly shade of dark yellow looking a decade old.

Around them were Panasonic electrical fittings which started off the same off-white colour, and had retained the same shade.

This is not rocket science. If not choosing the right grade of plastic typifies Trane's eye for detail, I would look elsewhere.

Edited by cheeryble