Yellow Stars In Profile Page

andrew

I checked my personal profile page today to make sure that there's nothing there which might be "injurious to my privacy".

I note that I have five yellow stars bellow my avatar? Why?

I checked out other forum members and saw that most have 1-3 yellow stars only.

There's clearly no correlation between the number of stars and the number of posts. My star count is not indicative of "likes"; nor does it have any bearing on the date (nine years ago) when I registered this account.

Do these yellow stars represent "infractions"?

You seem to be down to 2 stars now. Shouldn't have said anything. biggrin.png But it is the Reputation Feature of the board or how members rate you as a poster.

post-566-0-89039200-1355850157_thumb.jpg

So how does this rating thing work?

Earlier, I looked at several other forum members and I really was the only one with five stars.

I looked at members with high posts counts; members with lots of likes; and members who (like me) joined almost a decade ago.

You seem to be down to 2 stars now. Shouldn't have said anything. biggrin.png But it is the Reputation Feature of the board or how members rate you as a poster.

post-566-0-89039200-1355850157_thumb.jpg

Earlier, I looked at several other forum members and I really was the only one with five stars.

I looked at members with high posts counts; members with lots of likes; and members who (like me) joined almost a decade ago.

Go to my profile and click on the fifth star, and the mystery will resolve itself.
  • Like 1

If you move your cursor over the stars you will see a popup indicating what you want to rate the member at and click on the star. 1 - 5. The ratings are averaged over the number of total star votes to the number of members voting. But in function, it doesn't really do anything practical, it's a left over from previous software versions. Example below of my cursor hovering over a star. Seems the number of Likes are now what some think are more important. wink.png

post-566-0-23259100-1355850651_thumb.jpg

Go to my profile and click on the fifth star, and the mystery will resolve itself.

And there is an example of why the star system is basically useless. biggrin.png

You're right............my current star rating doesn't reflect my popularity.

Ok, ok I get my coat.

If you move your cursor over the stars you will see a popup indicating what you want to rate the member at and click on the star. 1 - 5. The ratings are averaged over the number of total star votes to the number of members voting. But in function, it doesn't really do anything practical, it's a left over from previous software versions. Example below of my cursor hovering over a star. Seems the number of Likes are now what some think are more important. wink.png

Thanks. I understand now.

But why would anyone want to downgrade my lovely 5-star rating?

Actually, I really did think that my five yellow stars indicated my (nine years ago) infractions.

Thanks. I understand now.

But why would anyone want to downgrade my lovely 5-star rating?

Actually, I really did think that my five yellow stars indicated my (nine years ago) infractions.

You mean you're a recycled member laugh.png

What is this " Like " feature you are talking about?.............I've never noticed it. huh.png

I see only one whistling.gif

As for you -- you've just gone from one star to three. I shall click back regularly.

Anyone with an avatar as awful as yours deserves five yellow stars.

I take it hat English isn't your first language, since you probably wanted to say AWESOME smile.png Edited by jbrain