Figs, Anyone Grow Them? Where To Buy Stock

bunnydrops

Hello All, bonnydrops, have you ever looked at Thai Ag Magazines before?

I think that there is also another TV thread that covers figs, I remember posting

pictures out of this same mag before.

I only buy the mags for the pictures.

rice555

post-37242-0-11095400-1355903591_thumb.j

post-37242-0-55227100-1355903623_thumb.j

Thx rice555, No I haven't seen that mag before--I will keep my eye out for it. From the photos it looks like figs grow well here. On another note. What got the idea of figs stuck in my head is this tree I saw in northern Thailand---I have no idea what it is,post-40003-0-54967100-1355939574_thumb.j

at the mae jo university ag fair a couple of years ago, there was a man selling fig trees.....the fair is usually in january but i have not seen anything on it......also the chiang mai university usually has a ag fair close to the same time...usually many of the vendors sell at both fairs...

Hello All, I looked downtown Korat today where I got my mag. they didn't

have any on the racks.

To get a copy you might call(speak Thai?) 02 434 8270-1 and ask if you can

order a copy, and do the usual bank money transfer. Mag was Bt. .50.

The blueish picture I posted, if you can enlarge so you can see the P/N's

better are places that may sale fig trees.

The first picture is figs growing in toilet rings.

The second picture is a list of fig trees(Jap/Mission ect.) and their cost,

I have no idea what the do cost at any show or nursery.

The third picture is their contact info.

rice555

post-37242-0-13167600-1356010258_thumb.j

post-37242-0-23305900-1356010285_thumb.j

post-37242-0-15523000-1356010317_thumb.j

Get fresh figs and a bag of "Pepsin" enzymes (available for little money in pharmacies of a certain size). Use the seeds in the fresh fig (the rest you can eat!) and keep then on a cusion of cotton buds and a saline made of water with sprinkled pepsin in it and then things should root. Next is to put the little roots with the (rotting) cottonbuds into a little pot and replant/fertilize the plant corresponding to growth.

The pepsin's purpose is what actually has to happen to fig seeds. In Europe figs are eaten by animals (donkeys) etc. and the seeds pass the animal's intestines. The anmial's enzyme break up the seed and the entire mesh leaves the animal - we know where and drops to the ground.

So, in closing, either you eat the figs as the come and relief yourself in the garden, possibly at night time OR you proceed as shown above. The latter worked in my case - good luck!

• I bought a fig tree (plant) at the market opposite Bankok Pattay hospital on Sukumvit growing quite well in my garden, which I thought might be a bit hot but placed it under our mango tree, too early for fruit but I live in hope

• I bought a fig tree (plant) at the market opposite Bankok Pattay hospital on Sukumvit growing quite well in my garden, which I thought might be a bit hot but placed it under our mango tree, too early for fruit but I live in hope

Is it in a pot or planted in the soil?

Please be aware that mango leaves have herbicidal qualities. Rainwater dropping off the mango tree will not kill plants, but can weaken them.

• 2 months later...

Is it in a pot or planted in the soil?

Please be aware that mango leaves have herbicidal qualities. Rainwater dropping off the mango tree will not kill plants, but can weaken them.

The plant is directly into soil under the mango the which may explain, with your words of wisdom, as to why it is not flourishing.

I have, for awhile intended to move it to a sunnier spot as I read somewhere that figs prefer sunlight.

Your info has spurred me to action.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

You have two choices; import your own or search Google in Thai for figs.

As I mentioned it in other threads, there is a cottage industry; around Bkk; selling any imaginable exotic plant.

Yes figs do well with reasonable care; the large tree in your earlier post is a wild fig tree.