Instagram Says It Now Has The Right To Sell Your Photos

webfact

Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos

In its first big policy shift since Facebook bought the photo-sharing site, Instagram claims the right to sell users' photos without payment or notification. Oh, and there's no way to opt out.

Update, December 18 at 2:50 p.m. PT: Instagram has backed down, as we report in this CNET article posted a few minutes ago. Instagram says it will "remove" the language that caused a user revolt over the last day.

Instagram said today that it has the perpetual right to sell users' photographs without payment or notification, a dramatic policy shift that quickly sparked a public outcry.

The new intellectual property policy, which takes effect on January 16, comes three months after Facebook completed its acquisition of the popular photo-sharing site. Unless Instagram users delete their accounts before the January deadline, they cannot opt out.

Under the new policy, Facebook claims the perpetual right to license all public Instagram photos to companies or any other organization, including for advertising purposes, which would effectively transform the Web site into the world's largest stock photo agency. One irked Twitter user quipped that "Instagram is now the new iStockPhoto, except they won't have to pay you anything to use your images."

Full story: http://news.cnet.com...otos/?ttag=gpwl

-- cnet 2012-12-19

footer_n.gif

I was advised to post this in facebook, and keep it at the top of my homepage. Not sure if it affects instagram or not because I have never knowingly used instagram...... blink.png

In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention).

For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times!

(Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communiqué, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents and/or any staff under Facebook's direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1 1-308-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).

Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates*

• Like 1

I was advised to post this in facebook, and keep it at the top of my homepage. Not sure if it affects instagram or not because I have never knowingly used instagram...... blink.png

In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention).

(Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communiqué, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents and/or any staff under Facebook's direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1 1-308-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).

Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates*

You accepted the terms and conditions of facebook when you joined. A post can't revoke those terms and conditions. By using Facebook, you accept their conditions. If you don't like their conditions, then don't use it.

Same goes for Instagram.

• Like 1

As Whybother says, this posting is utterly meaningless. You've provided explicit consent and agreement to the Facebook and Instagram terms by using the service. By posting the below, you have not provided any means for explicit consent for FB/IG. You've already forfeited your copyright to FB/IG by using the service and freely GIVING them your photos/content. It's be kinda like giving someone a box of chocolate, going home and posting on your door that you hereby declare they have no right to eat that chocolate :)

I disagree - facebook changed their terms and conditions - which is what prompted this post - so I have changed my stance to counter facebooks new conditions. You can put a copyright notice on a photo and post it to facebook and they can not use it. This post has the same effect.

• Like 1

I disagree - facebook changed their terms and conditions - which is what prompted this post - so I have changed my stance to counter facebooks new conditions. You can put a copyright notice on a photo and post it to facebook and they can not use it. This post has the same effect.

By continuing to use their service, you are agreeing to their terms. If you don't like their current terms, don't use the service.

By continuing to use their service, you are agreeing to their terms. If you don't like their current terms, don't use the service.

I believe that is arguable in any court. One party to a contract may not arbitarily change the contract. But it's academic for me. I don't post anything of intrest in facebook - only use their chat -- but I suppose they will claim my conversations as well ?? Better watch what I say ;) Does TV claim copyright of what we post in here? ;)

I believe that is arguable in any court. One party to a contract may not arbitarily change the contract. But it's academic for me. I don't post anything of intrest in facebook - only use their chat -- but I suppose they will claim my conversations as well ?? Better watch what I say ;) Does TV claim copyright of what we post in here? ;)

You can argue all you like. You wouldn't get far.

They change the conditions, and tell you that if you continue using the service then you accept the conditions, or you can stop using the service.

Besides that, where does it say that facebook claim copyright on what you put on the site?

Sent from my HTC phone.

In the UK the copywrite of a photo belongs to the photographer. Thats the law.

I think if you put a C in a circle with the year that should do it. If facebook will not show on site it up to them

Or just stop using facebook. Someone told me facebook was worth £100 million I thought it was overpriced lol

• Like 1

Very cool of you to pass along this info jpinx. The courts are there for all to utilize and they allow you to you challenge any ruling. Tip o' the hat mate.

Edited by Dap

So someone could steal a photo, post it on Instagram and then instagram could sell it legally? So you could end up randomly seeing yourself on a billboard even though you've never uploaded anything to instagram?

Yes - I believe that has happened already.

Look at Pinterest, they remove all the EXIF data including any statements of who owns it, eg, "This Image is Copy write to Joe Blogs, contact [email protected] for Licensing". The they actually upload it to their server, not hot link it. Then they say it it the uses responibilty, not theirs. I have had a couple of go ins with Pinterest now.

Look at Pinterest, they remove all the EXIF data including any statements of who owns it, eg, "This Image is Copy write to Joe Blogs, contact [email protected] for Licensing". The they actually upload it to their server, not hot link it. Then they say it it the uses responibilty, not theirs. I have had a couple of go ins with Pinterest now.

Good for you ! thumbsup.gif But TBH the only way is to actually put the copyright notice on the image itself. Then they have to crop the image to get rid of it - or spend a long time with photoshop w00t.gif

I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it sounded good to do but before i bothered i figured i should check out what it said first...............A quick check on google was more than enough for me not to bother with it..............

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/bogus-facebook-privacy-notice.shtml

Thats just 1 of many which all agree its a complete waste of time posting and that its just a viral post like many others before it.

The plain and simple truth is that if you use facebook and leave your privacy settings on public then anyone in the world can take and use your posts/pics as they please, this includes facebook.

If i remember rightly facebook did the same as this a year or so ago on their own servers and so it was obvious to follow after they acquired instagram........think about it, why else would instagram have such a market value as it does not lead itself to marketing and advertising revenue in anywhere like the same level as facebook itself has always done.

Maybe the fact that the users dont use or need instagram in the same way as they need facebook is the reason why there views about privacy and copyright may hold a little more sway............Much easier to close your instagram account than your facebook in the eyes of most people.

• Like 1

The plain and simple truth is that if you use facebook and leave your privacy settings on public then anyone in the world can take and use your posts/pics as they please, this includes facebook.

I believe that we at cross-purposes here.

Anyone can take a screenshot of anything you put on the web. There is no protection against that unless you can prove in court who took the screenshot.

What Facebook / Instagram are saying is that THEY CLAIM THE COPYRIGHT of your images. This is hugely different. I recently told some family members to stop putting photos of great-great-grandparents on facebook because they lose the copyright to the image, even though the paper original is still in their hands.

Edited by jpinx

this disclaimer and all like are essentially a hoax

I don't use any of that social networking crap. I made the mistake of joining Face Book because my daughter asked me to. It quickly irritated me. Why why would I want hundreds of friends when I don't know any of them? I decided that it was an evil thing because they wouldn't allow me to cancel the account. After much searching, I found a way that was supposed to allow me to cancel the account. I even got a message from FB wanting to know if I was sure I wanted to cancel. I told them that I was positive and that I wanted to cancel. Once in a while I still get email asking if I want to be friends with *******. I send them all to the junk file as SPAM. All my friends have my email addresses and can contact me at any time they want.

I VALUE my privacy and it irritates me when my space is violated.

• Like 1