Travelling To Or Via The States When Leaving Or Arriving In Thailand

ajarnpot

No argument from me on the need for security but the US public servants at your airports are some of the most rude, anti-social people I have ever had the miss pleasure to deal with. Other nations manage to enforce security with out alienating the majority of travellers.

I see posts complaining about security in many other countries. UK has had a lot of complaints lately. A majority of the countries in the world are a pain. And for good reasons. To many nutters out there.

Never had a problem. Quick, easy, and courteous.smile.png

Never fly do you ?

It really does depend on which airport you use and what the NTSA manager is like. I fly out of an international airport where they are actually quite nice and efficient. The airport manager is a nice guy too. I know him from a civic club we belong to.

Once I'm checked in, I'm good because at subsequent airports I stay in secure areas and don't really get checked much again.

I think we could name a couple of West Coast major airports that get the most complaints in this area. I won't accept any flights that originate in or go through LAX.

I've been treated very badly by Thai customs in that they don't seem to care how long I wait for some things. The difference is that they smile while they are being rude indifferent. smile.png

I've got 1MM air miles. Never really had a problem except when I had something they didn't like. Pool cue was a biggie. Small, hidden bottle of booze was another. rolleyes.gif

I've transited internationally via LAX many times. Never had a problem, including my wife who was traveling on a Thai Passport/green card. Actually, she was treated with great respect her first trip to the US via LAX. Super nice immigration guy. Actually was considering retiring in Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument from me on the need for security but the US public servants at your airports are some of the most rude, anti-social people I have ever had the miss pleasure to deal with. Other nations manage to enforce security with out alienating the majority of travellers.

I see posts complaining about security in many other countries. UK has had a lot of complaints lately. A majority of the countries in the world are a pain. And for good reasons. To many nutters out there.

I agree every airport will have its bad days, the US authorities on the other hand have turned obnoxiousness into an art form.

Edited by RabC

It is 12:15 AM here. It is a new day and it is Christmas Eve.

Today isn't my day to answer everyone who may or may not have a chip on his shoulder, or whose own attitude may or may not contribute to the attitudes of others. That was yesterday that I tried that.

Merry Christmas kap.

Never fly do you ?

It really does depend on which airport you use and what the NTSA manager is like. I fly out of an international airport where they are actually quite nice and efficient. The airport manager is a nice guy too. I know him from a civic club we belong to.

Once I'm checked in, I'm good because at subsequent airports I stay in secure areas and don't really get checked much again.

I think we could name a couple of West Coast major airports that get the most complaints in this area. I won't accept any flights that originate in or go through LAX.

I've been treated very badly by Thai customs in that they don't seem to care how long I wait for some things. The difference is that they smile while they are being rude indifferent. smile.png

I've got 1MM air miles. Never really had a problem except when I had something they didn't like. Pool cue was a biggie. Small, hidden bottle of booze was another. rolleyes.gif

I've transited internationally via LAX many times. Never had a problem, including my wife who was traveling on a Thai Passport/green card. Actually, she was treated with great respect her first trip to the US via LAX. Super nice immigration guy. Actually was considering retiring in Thailand.

I have flown international through Honolulu, SeaTac, LAX, Atlanta and Houston over the past few years. I have never been questioned, stopped, had my carryon checked or received extra screening. The only time my carryon has been checked was in Seoul/Inchon, but they were checking everyone. And, like lovetotravel, the first time my Thai GF went through immigration (Honolulu), she beat me to baggage claim.

Smile, dress well, have your sh#t together and you won't have any problems.

• Like 1

CPB stamps in ~ 62 million people per year while the TSA screens 1.8 million passengers per day. With that volume of people I would expect there to be some problems, issues and complaints. I usually go back to the U.S every 60 days so I have ~ six entries per year. The last two - HNL and IAD - I've used the Global Entry kiosk which can save a lot of time and make a 90 minute int'l-dom connections easy at ORD or IAD, my typical international arriving airport. Mid-field Immigration at IAD can be horrendous but now it's two minutes for me. I clear TSA twice each trip so twelve times per year. It's really simple, easy and straight-forward re: shoes, belt, PC, liquids bag but then I am used to it. I also get to use priority TSA lanes - connecting at IAD/ORD or departing BOS, as I have usually had all my upgrades clear prior to check-in, and as a 1K/MMer I think I get to use the TSA priority lane as well, except at IAD, in the event that my upgrade is still wait-listed at the gate.

For the sheer volume of people the CPB and TSA has to process I have to admit they do a dam_n fine job. I have never, ever had any issues with CPB in over 30 years of travel and close to 2.5 million butt-in-seat miles, nor with the TSA over the last ~ ten years.

• Like 1

CPB stamps in ~ 62 million people per year while the TSA screens 1.8 million passengers per day. With that volume of people I would expect there to be some problems, issues and complaints. I usually go back to the U.S every 60 days so I have ~ six entries per year. The last two - HNL and IAD - I've used the Global Entry kiosk which can save a lot of time and make a 90 minute int'l-dom connections easy at ORD or IAD, my typical international arriving airport. Mid-field Immigration at IAD can be horrendous but now it's two minutes for me. I clear TSA twice each trip so twelve times per year. It's really simple, easy and straight-forward re: shoes, belt, PC, liquids bag but then I am used to it. I also get to use priority TSA lanes - connecting at IAD/ORD or departing BOS, as I have usually had all my upgrades clear prior to check-in, and as a 1K/MMer I think I get to use the TSA priority lane as well, except at IAD, in the event that my upgrade is still wait-listed at the gate.

For the sheer volume of people the CPB and TSA has to process I have to admit they do a dam_n fine job. I have never, ever had any issues with CPB in over 30 years of travel and close to 2.5 million butt-in-seat miles, nor with the TSA over the last ~ ten years.

The fact this thread was started indicates that people do have issues, so no matter how much special treatment and fast track YOU get the rest of the worlds views on American Customs, Immigration and TSA is pretty poor.

I travel multiple times per year on business in either business or first and will NOT transit through the USA. The simple fact I can transit through Europe without going through customs and immigration is a major plus. Why should someone not even wanting to visit the USA need to enter the country and go through the whole undignified rigmarole just to fly on to a third country? Please do not say security as all European countries require you clear security during transit.

Edited by RabC

The fact this thread was started indicates that people do have issues, so no matter how much special treatment and fast track YOU get the rest of the worlds views on American Customs, Immigration and TSA is pretty poor.

I travel multiple times per year on business in either business or first and will NOT transit through the USA. The simple fact I can transit through Europe without going through customs and immigration is a major plus. Why should someone not even wanting to visit the USA need to enter the country and go through the whole undignified rigmarole just to fly on to a third country? Please do not say security as all European countries require you clear security during transit.

The OP's primary (only?) issue seemed to be with the WBI. And as I already said, one can easily opt out of the WBI. The OP did not mention any issues with CPB

Again, screening 1.8 million passengers per day is a herculean task and it does not surprise me when there are issues, problems and complaints.

If transiting the U.S present personal problems or insurmountable issues for you and others, then the solution seems obvious? But then it sounds like you do not visit the U.S so I am having a hard time understanding what has shaped your opinion?

The OP's primary (only?) issue seemed to be with the WBI. And as I already said, one can easily opt out of the WBI. The OP did not mention any issues with CPB

Again, screening 1.8 million passengers per day is a herculean task and it does not surprise me when there are issues, problems and complaints.

If transiting the U.S present personal problems or insurmountable issues for you and others, then the solution seems obvious? But then it sounds like you do not visit the U.S so I am having a hard time understanding what has shaped your opinion?

Simple, I transited the US on several occasions about 5 years ago, lesson learnt. I have no idea at all what the abbreviations you are using mean all I do know is TSA = attitude.

Edited by RabC

It is simply another US bashing thread, with someone who says he hasn't been there for 5 years. I doubt that anyone in the US misses him much. It's probably his attitude at the airport which does him in.

We have a lot more LOS bashing threads. You know - corruption, visa lines, lost or stolen mail, corrupt dealing in import duties, questionable investigations of murders etc. etc., but there is never anything wrong with Europe. hahaha.

• Like 1

I have been through TSA check in the USA many times. No problems. Treated very well. Of course, I don't walk in there with a such a big chip on my shoulder!

Been through Airport Security, Immigration, and Customs in a number of different countries and I have never had any problems with any of them. I do it the same way every time. I put a smile on my face, treat them with courtesy and respect, answer their questions honestly and politely, and amazingly, I don't run into all these problems the whiners are crying about.

Remove that knot-headed, entitled attitude, and also the big chip on your shoulders, and you will have a much better experience! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Never fly do you ?

Thai customs aren't that friendly either and can be quite indifferent to whether travellers are made to wait or not, but there is no comparison towards their US counterparts - Thai officials won't refuse entry or make life difficult for most travellers. Basically, a Thai customs officer's duties are to ensure every foreigner gains entry except the most obvious unwanted criminals on blacklists etc. but there is no system for checking a traveller's available funds, intentions in Thailand such as working on a tourist visa etc. like there is in developed countries and I have never heard of a foreigner, particularly a rich westerner or Asian tourist being taken to an interview room and threatened with deportation for carrying a resume etc. it simply doesn't happen in Thailand.

I have been through TSA check in the USA many times. No problems. Treated very well. Of course, I don't walk in there with a such a big chip on my shoulder!

Been through Airport Security, Immigration, and Customs in a number of different countries and I have never had any problems with any of them. I do it the same way every time. I put a smile on my face, treat them with courtesy and respect, answer their questions honestly and politely, and amazingly, I don't run into all these problems the whiners are crying about.

Remove that knot-headed, entitled attitude, and also the big chip on your shoulders, and you will have a much better experience! thumbsup.gif

And what gives you great insight into my attitude towards the authorities. I pitch up at the desk all smiles and pleasantries, but because I am an Alien, I am treated like garbage and yes do end up leaving the airport with a chip on my shoulder. All I say to the Americans is you should try going through your own entry clearance if you don't hold a US passport or are travelling with someone holding a US passport. When I was flying there I was going on business so was well dressed and had all my business plans for inspection but was still accused of trying to illegally obtain work. If the guy doing the accusing has a gun and attitude I just smile politely take his abuse and leave, now my contracts go elsewhere.

Edited by RabC

And what gives you great insight into my attitude towards the authorities. I pitch up at the desk all smiles and pleasantries, but because I am an Alien, I am treated like garbage and yes do end up leaving the airport with a chip on my shoulder. All I say to the Americans is you should try going through your own entry clearance if you don't hold a US passport or are travelling with someone holding a US passport. When I was flying there I was going on business so was well dressed and had all my business plans for inspection but was still accused of trying to illegally obtain work. If the guy doing the accusing has a gun and attitude I just smile politely take his abuse and leave, now my contracts go elsewhere.

I have gone through immigration, customs, and airport security in over eleven different countries and have never had problems. Amazing!!

I hear the whiny blah-blah about immigration in this or that country,and yet when I go there; no problems. Amazing!!

Been through one country's airport security screening with physical pat-downs and guys with submachineguns on each side to ensure compliance. Put the smile on my face matched with a good attitude and guess what; no problems! Amazing!!

Heard all the whiny blah-blah about TSA from both Americans and non-Americans, yet every time I go through TSA screening; no problems. Amazing!!

I've even taken personal weapons through U.S. Customs with no problems. Of course, I had the proper paperwork, cooperated with their inspection, and had a good and cooperative attitude. Guess what; no problems! Amazing!!

I have met many other people from both Asian and European countries that have gone through U.S. immigration, customs, and TSA with no problems and pleased with the experience. Amazing!!

So how do I (and many, many others) avoid all these horrible problems when going through immigration, customs, and airport security? If it's not my good disposition and mature attitude, then it just must be my charm and good looks! smile.png

I have gone through immigration, customs, and airport security in over eleven different countries and have never had problems. Amazing!!

I hear the whiny blah-blah about immigration in this or that country,and yet when I go there; no problems. Amazing!!

Been through one country's airport security screening with physical pat-downs and guys with submachineguns on each side to ensure compliance. Put the smile on my face matched with a good attitude and guess what; no problems! Amazing!!

Heard all the whiny blah-blah about TSA from both Americans and non-Americans, yet every time I go through TSA screening; no problems. Amazing!!

I've even taken personal weapons through U.S. Customs with no problems. Of course, I had the proper paperwork, cooperated with their inspection, and had a good and cooperative attitude. Guess what; no problems! Amazing!!

I have met many other people from both Asian and European countries that have gone through U.S. immigration, customs, and TSA with no problems and pleased with the experience. Amazing!!

So how do I (and many, many others) avoid all these horrible problems when going through immigration, customs, and airport security? If it's not my good disposition and mature attitude, then it just must be my charm and good looks! smile.png

Boy I hope those rose tinted glasses never fall off you might be blinded.

I travel the globe on business and never had issues before in any country until the blessed trio of US Customs, Immigration and TSA. Now reading other posts maybe I got the dirty end of the stick as it was LAX, but there is no excuse for the rudeness shown to travellers by the civil servants of that country. I have the option to take my business elsewhere and have done. I am not anti American and once past the unpleasantness of the airport had a great visit but I refuse to suffer the ignorance of the authorities when I can go elsewhere. Arriving in Jakarta is more pleasant than LAX.

I think some posters may have the impression it is a form of USA bashing to complain but I do not think

that is what folks who have been unhappy with TSA treatment are saying.

After all one need only go to You Tube & type in TSA or TSA Harassment & there are loads of videos.

Also having lived in the US till 6 or so months ago I remember seeing many legitimate charges against some TSA workers

& they losing their jobs due to their behaviour

I like many others have never had a problem. That does not mean I do not see others being bullied

for no reason what so ever IMO. It seems a combination of things to me.

1- The TSA workers themselves do not see all that bright ( my personal impression )

2- It has to be a shitty job. Folks are upset & tired already then say or ask something that the TSA folks dont like

& it starts. Also many are not local to the town they work in. Most at International terminals are on rotation from other

States. Probably for security reasons so as to not be compromised. I learned this by talking to some who I knew obviously were

not from " Around Here"

3- Folks who question things or ask not to go thru the scatter scanners are often treated as problem makers.

I have seen these folks basically told...well up to you but we do not have a female or male depending on the sex of the

one opting out of the scan available for your pat down so sit there till we do.

If the traveler expresses concern about missing his/her flight they are told basically tough your the one who does not want go

thru the machine

I can see how it has become stressful on both ends, But to think anyone who has been on the receiving end

of a TSA agent having a bad day is somehow anti-American or a terrorist is unfair/ unrealistic

BTW: Yes I am an American.

Boy I hope those rose tinted glasses never fall off you might be blinded. I travel the globe on business and never had issues before in any country until the blessed trio of US Customs, Immigration and TSA. Now reading other posts maybe I got the dirty end of the stick as it was LAX, but there is no excuse for the rudeness shown to travellers by the civil servants of that country. I have the option to take my business elsewhere and have done. I am not anti American and once past the unpleasantness of the airport had a great visit but I refuse to suffer the ignorance of the authorities when I can go elsewhere. Arriving in Jakarta is more pleasant than LAX.

"Boy I hope those rose tinted glasses never fall off you might be blinded."

It's not rose-tinted glasses. It's using my brain, and thinking things through! thumbsup.gif

Ahhh, another opportunity for us to rant, so I will join in. I have returned to the US about 15 times in the last few years. Are the immigration/customs people friendly? - not particularly so, but after a 14 hour flight I am not looking for them to invite me over for dinner, I just want them to process my documents and get me on my way.

My one beef is the lines (queues for some of you). But that is not the fault of the line people. They have a tough job - they only get in trouble if they let someone through who should not have been let through, and they will never get rich doing it.

My problem is with the higher ups who set the budgets (nothing wrong with a two hour wait?) and the policies (everyone has to take off their belts) - that is not the fault of the line people.

So my personal philosphy is to get annoyed as I am standing in line, get it out of my system, and then treat the poor smuck who is only doing his/her job with a certain amount of respect. So far it has worked.

• Like 1

I had a quick trip back to the U.S. - Dec. 27 - Jan. 2.

Departing Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport I had to go through a Whole Body Imaging scan (level 5, east hall - I had a Premium Pass but chose to save it), then back down to level 4 for Departing Immigration.

Air-side security at Tokyo-Narita is the usual mess as there are no announcements and rules seem to change daily.

Arriving at Chicago-O'Hare amazingly we arrived at gate M12 (terminal 5) so straight down to CPB (arriving Immigration), where there were no lines - I still used the Global Entry kiosk as I did not fill out a Customs Declaration (you complete this on the kiosk). For an onward domestic connection, I cleared TSA (security) via the Priority Line in Terminal 1. It was busy but most passengers are familiar with the procedures, and there are TSA personnel making periodic announcements re: PCs, gels, coats, belts, shoes, etc. Easy, simple, straight-forward.

Returning there is of course no departing Immigration, so through the TSA line, and a WBI.

I return every 60 days so I am used to the processes, and the Global Entry speeds things up for me.

Returning to SBIA, Thai Immigration (I used the Premium Lane area as the west arriving Immigration Hall was packed) was fine, no wait but the officer did mistakenly stamp me in for 30 days - this happens ~ 50% of the time for me - but he quickly modified this with a 90 day stamp when I politely pointed out the error. My bags were the first off the carousel, and after an X-ray of my "supplies" box at Customs, I was on my way.

The last time I left the US while waiting 45+ minutes to clear TSA

I thought to myself...Take a good look at me because you will not see me again anytime soon.

I understand their reasoning but it has really gone beyond comprehension.

Add to that all the faults & weirdos they have uncovered at the TSA & one has to wonder.......

Yet try & leave the USA, Third Degree maximus!

Not just about bags but also $$$

we have been asked repeatedly if we are carrying over 10k USD cash

Now why is that? They seem to care not that we arrive from countries with little to no security

at the airports not even checking our bags. Yet leavening the USA aka:security capital of the world,

you get a fine tooth combing of various levels of security?

If it is about terrorism wouldn't they be more concerned about what is coming in

from unsecured areas than what is leaving from secured areas?

This is because of the unconstitutional civil asset forfeiture laws and the motivations they create among those in a position to capitalize on them. More government created misery for citizens tyrannized by the "war on drugs".

If any employee at an airport in the USA can sniff out large amounts of cash on a passenger, they can report it to DEA who have the power to seize it as drug money, without proof or probable cause.

The emloyee gets a bounty on it, thus the motivation and resulting scrutiny of departures over arrivals.

As usual, it has nothing to do with public service, just usury.

Color me confused.

Departing the U.S. there is no Immigration/CPB - I think 'fereners' can stamp out at kiosks, or with the airline - so who is asking about carrying cash? TSA? Contractors at airports like SFO which do not use TSA? I have never, ever, been asked this question, nor have I ever overheard such a conversation, nor is there even a mechanism to ask such a question.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this "issue", but it does sound like complete bullsh*t to me?

There are laws re: limits on carrying cash from/to most countries - this is nothing new - I think just about every country save Montenegro and Burkina Faso adhere to these laws?

Color me confused.

Departing the U.S. there is no Immigration/CPB - I think 'fereners' can stamp out at kiosks, or with the airline - so who is asking about carrying cash? TSA? Contractors at airports like SFO which do not use TSA? I have never, ever, been asked this question, nor have I ever overheard such a conversation, nor is there even a mechanism to ask such a question.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this "issue", but it does sound like complete bullsh*t to me?

There are laws re: limits on carrying cash from/to most countries - this is nothing new - I think just about every country save Montenegro and Burkina Faso adhere to these laws?

They are not TSA & they do not have desks or checkpoints.

They randomly mull through various gates & departures.

They then stand in one place near the head of the line & question each person getting on.

This is well after all check points & at the final boarding gate areas.

Why would folks experiences sound like complete BS to you? Happened to my wife & I also.

Is it because if it has never happened to you then it has not happened to anyone else?

They are not TSA & they do not have desks or checkpoints.

They randomly mull through various gates & departures.

They then stand in one place near the head of the line & question each person getting on.

This is well after all check points & at the final boarding gate areas.

Why would folks experiences sound like complete BS to you? Happened to my wife & I also.

Is it because if it has never happened to you then it has not happened to anyone else?

Can you share any details? Has this happened to you often? Where? When? Who are "they"? I assume they identify themselves? They stand on the jetway? Question each boarding passenger? What questions do they ask?

I do travel to/from the U.S. quite often and have never, ever seen such a thing as you describe, so perhaps you can understand my incredulity? I read travel forums, particularly FlyerTalk, and I do not ever recall reading a post such as yours. Now I'm not saying you are prevaricating, but if you could provide much more detail it might help to support your "observations".

Can you share any details? Has this happened to you often? Where? When? Who are "they"? I assume they identify themselves? They stand on the jetway? Question each boardingpassenger? What questions do they ask?

but if you could provide much more detail it might help to support your "observations".

You know I want to say this as nicely as possible because I do enjoy your posts in the

Computer forum.

But when you post in any topic that involves Politics or Government you come off as a real self centered, condescending,

immature piece of work

As I said in the previous post it happens in the final boarding line of International flights leaving the US

When? Last time was a little over a year ago when we left the US. It happened to us only once.

But we saw it occurring at another gate on another trip since then. Surprisingly or not both times were at China Airlines gates.

Who? Fed Customs Agents, Dark pants, white dress shirts gold badges.

They hold a stack of the form required to be filled if your carrying more than 10k cash.

What question do they ask............Duh....there is that immature condescending thing again eh? Guess what they ask???

As I also stated this is not an observation it was a experience.

Not a big deal we were questioned we answered & while we were not each carrying more than 10k our total was over 10k so we filled in a form.

We asked if they needed to see the cash they said no just fill this form. took maybe 5 minutes tops ....So what?

I think it best I not interact with you on this forum because as I said I do appreciate your usually informative cell phone related

posts. But here you seem to have a real problem coming across politely on any topic dealing with politics or government.

Good night

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

OK, this happened to you once. Federal Customs Agents? Gold badges? Wow. FWIW, CPB officers dress in blues.

I have traveled to/within/from the U.S. ~ 100 times in the last 10 years and have never, ever seen such a thing as you describe.

I have no reason to question your experience.

I would agree that it is best that we avoid interacting with each other as you seem to think my experiences, observations and conclusions are somehow less beliveable and representative than yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I travel quite frequently to the US (I'm not American), here's my comments and experiences.

First, about the Federal Customs Agents when departing, most likely are meet in the 'finger' just before boarding the plane. One have to understand, with all the war on drug and terrorism, USA is the only country of the world that doesn't check passports when leaving the country. Not in airports, not on ground when going, e.g. to Mexico. They simply do not have the infrastructure and organization in place, so I think it's understandable that some units take initiative and do it 'on the fly'. So far it has only happened to me when going to Latin America, they checked passports and asked about currency I had with me.

Again about currency, couple years ago I sold my property overseas and wanted the money to be in the US. The country I was flying from had completely restricted international money transfer, so the only choice was to take it with me. It was close or less than $100K, all I did was to fill the form and go over the specific desk on arrival. The officer was serious but not terribly inquisitive on the matter. He asked me write down all the currency I had with me, down the spare euros and cents to make the declaration completely correct. He then did go to his supervisor office for a few moments and came back with with stamped copy. I had the sale deed with me but was never asked about. All that in the early a.m. hours, I think is could have been in Texas.

Finally about immigration. I think the speediness and organization of the process has improved over the years. I have had the occasional secondary inspection done on me, recently as well it many years ago. Officers were always respectful and professional to me. I think that once one or two basic facts check out, they really have no incentive in keeping you longer.

Yes I've heard about hassle given to Americans coming back from Thailand or other exotic countries, the laptop searches, etc, but I think that is also due to traveler's attitude and looks. I always think that when I'm delayed for routine checks, I am the lucky one because I'll be out in a short time and able to move on, while the office will never be out of that until retirement. Many times I meet friendly officer like the one that collects customs form to let you out, asked where I've been, when I said Phuket he said he knew everything about Bangla Road, we both laughed and that was it.

Finally regarding TSA checks I do not even think about or perceive then anymore, it's just part of the whole act. I have biggest things to worry when travelling.

Edited by paz

I travel quite frequently to the US (I'm not American), here's my comments and experiences.

First, about the Federal Customs Agents when departing, most likely are meet in the 'finger' just before boarding the plane. One have to understand, with all the war on drug and terrorism, USA is the only country of the world that doesn't check passports when leaving the country. Not in airports, not on ground when going, e.g. to Mexico. They simply do not have the infrastructure and organization in place, so I think it's understandable that some units take initiative and do it 'on the fly'. So far it has only happened to me when going to Latin America, they checked passports and asked about currency I had with me.

Again about currency, couple years ago I sold my property overseas and wanted the money to be in the US. The country I was flying from had completely restricted international money transfer, so the only choice was to take it with me. It was close or less than $100K, all I did was to fill the form and go over the specific desk on arrival. The officer was serious but not terribly inquisitive on the matter. He asked me write down all the currency I had with me, down the spare euros and cents to make the declaration completely correct. He then did go to his supervisor office for a few moments and came back with with stamped copy. I had the sale deed with me but was never asked about. All that in the early a.m. hours, I think is could have been in Texas.

Finally about immigration. I think the speediness and organization of the process has improved over the years. I have had the occasional secondary inspection done on me, recently as well it many years ago. Officers were always respectful and professional to me. I think that once one or two basic facts check out, they really have no incentive in keeping you longer.

Yes I've heard about hassle given to Americans coming back from Thailand or other exotic countries, the laptop searches, etc, but I think that is also due to traveler's attitude and looks. I always think that when I'm delayed for routine checks, I am the lucky one because I'll be out in a short time and able to move on, while the office will never be out of that until retirement. Many times I meet friendly officer like the one that collects customs form to let you out, asked where I've been, when I said Phuket he said he knew everything about Bangla Road, we both laughed and that was it.

Finally regarding TSA checks I do not even think about or perceive then anymore, it's just part of the whole act. I have biggest things to worry when travelling.

Just one quick note The UK stopped checking and stamping passports on exit very many years ago so the USA is not the only one.

• 6 months later...

Wow... you are just one truly amazing guy. We should all be more like you.

whistling.gif I an a U.S. citizen, but I have had questions asked of me by TSA .... such as:

1. Sir why did you travel so much in Southeast Asia?

2. But why did you choose to retire in Thailand?

3. So your mailing address is actually in Bangkok where you live?

4. So you're traveling around the U.S. visiting your relatives in the U.S. then?

I just keep smiling and answer politely.

TSA hires for minimum wage and that's the type of employees they often get.

Minimum.

That's why they ask silly questions like this (I'm arriving on a flight originating from Bangkok with a stopover and an aircraft change in Narita):

"Sir, but why do you have Thai and Japanese money in your wallet?"

Just keep smiling and answer politely.

Minimum.

whistling.gif

I an a U.S. citizen, but I have had questions asked of me by TSA

Am fairly certain you are not being questioned by TSA employees, but rather CBP officers.

Note that in some airports in the U.S., SFO for example, the airport authority uses contractors to perform passenger security.

"Sir, but why do you have Thai and Japanese money in your wallet?"

When do they look in your wallet? Are you subjected to a secondary inspection?

If you return to the U.S. often maybe best to get Global Entry, which allows you to use a kiosk - which doesn't ask you any embarassing questions - and speeds up entry. Also you get a Customs fast-track. And you are eligible for "TSA Pre-check".

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1