Thailand, Cambodia Agree To Prepare Mine Clearance Plan For Demilitarized Zone

webfact

Thailand, Cambodia agree to prepare mine clearance plan for demilitarized zone

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Dec 20 -- Thailand and Cambodia today agreed to prepare a mine clearance plan for the approaches to Preah Vihear temple.

Ended the 3rd Meeting of the Thailand-Cambodia Joint Working Group (JWG) with fruitful results, they will jointly prepare a mine clearance plan for the Provisional Demilitarized Zone (PDZ) surrounding Preah Vihear temple, according to Thai Supreme Commander Gen Thanasak Patimaprakorn.

The three-day meeting in Bangkok which concluded yesterday was co-chaired by Thai Army Chief of Joint Staff Gen Worapong Sanganetra and Cambodian Defense Ministry secretary of state Gen Neang Phat.

Cambodia and Thailand agreed to prepare a joint mine clearance plan for areas in the PDZ surrounding the Preah Vihear Temple, in February next year.

The Cambodia Mine Action Center (CMAC) and Thailand Mine Action Center (TMAC) will draw up a joint mine clearance plan to demine areas of the PDZ not later than February to support troop redeployment from the PDZ and to ensure safety for a joint observer team to the area, he said.

Both sides expressed commitment to comply with the order of the International Court of Justice of July 18, 2011.

Cambodia and Thailand have had a sporadic border conflict over disputed territory near Cambodia's Preah Vihear temple since UNESCO listed the temple as a World Heritage Site on July 7, 2008, but Thailand claims ownership of 4.6 square kilometres of scrubland next to the temple.

The international court on July 18, 2011 ordered Cambodia and Thailand to immediately withdraw their military personnel from the 17.3 square kilometer zone and refrain from any armed activity there.

The court ordered the parties to allow Indonesian ASEAN observers to access to the zone to monitor the ceasefire. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-12-20

Any mine clearance plan if done properly is a good thing, the damage unexploded mines have done to people/families over the years is huge, and it continues to this day, with the alleged use of cluster bombs in Syria.

I would have thought their would have been a little more positive comment on this initiative.

• Like 2

Excellent news for all concerned. Another huge benefit for Thailand to have a sane relationship with their neighbour. Could only happen now that the fanatical anti-Cambodian ranting of PAD's leaders have been silenced, and a democratic, elected government now in charge.

• Like 2

Excellent news for all concerned. Another huge benefit for Thailand to have a sane relationship with their neighbour. Could only happen now that the fanatical anti-Cambodian ranting of PAD's leaders have been silenced, and a democratic, elected government now in charge.

a democratic, elected government now in charge

Is this a joke???

If not,... where were you in April/May 2010 and didn't you hear about the rampant vote buying, rigging and manipulating that went on in July 2011?

Finally something that makes us hope the conflict can be completely settled, one small step after the other wise !

Clearing the mines in a JOINT operation - a true go-together, when you realize their soldiers were staring at each other point blank for years.

We live close to the temple, within reach of mortar fire, so I welcome this turn of the affair and ALL MY BEST WISHES !!!!

• Like 1

Is this a joke???

If not,... where were you in April/May 2010 and didn't you hear about the rampant vote buying, rigging and manipulating that went on in July 2011?

You losers never stop your whining and moaning, do you. When the Democratic Party actually wins a general election - something they haven't done for some 20 odd years - maybe you'll stop all this sour-graping!thumbsup.gif

Is this a joke???

You losers never stop your whining and moaning, do you. When the Democratic Party actually wins a general election - something they haven't done for some 20 odd years - maybe you'll stop all this sour-graping!thumbsup.gif

I hate to rain on your parade but in EVERY election over the last 20 years or more there have been over 60 million users EVERY time. They are called the population of Thailand.

When ANY political party wins an election without vote buying AND ALL party cadidates can visit any village and explain the party policy without ANY violence will be the time that democracy will hit Thailand.

Edited by billd766