Bangkok's Fourth Safety Zone Officially Open On Soi Nana Tai

webfact

Bangkok's fourth Safety Zone officially open on Soi Nana Tai

By Coconuts Bangkok

na.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- At 9PM yesterday, police officially opened Bangkok’s fourth Safety Zone on Soi Nana Tai. The Safety Zones are intended to ensure the safety of tourists and reduce the number of crimes.

Maj Gen Chalermkiat Sriworakan, Assistant to Thailand’s Police Chief, said that the project was in line with the government’s policy of increasing tourism revenue, as laid out in the Asean Community’s 2015 goals.

In order to reassure tourists that Bangkok is a safe destination, security measures will be tightened in the area via such means as the installation of [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...n-soi-nana-tai/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-21

footer_n.gif

Haven't we been reading lately about some folks getting stabbed or shot in the so-called Safety Zone around Pattaya's Walking Street?

Guess I need to stay away from BKK's Soi 4 now, and head on over to New Year's Eve at CentralWorld... That's surely a much safer place... OOOPS!!! whistling.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Great!! We flee London with its camera on every lamp post to a Thailand with an officer outside each restaurant and locals in special T shirts (or not) encouraged to snitch on "unusual behaviour". A police state or what? Where can one go these days without being continually spied upon?

Great!! We flee London with its camera on every lamp post to a Thailand with an officer outside each restaurant and locals in special T shirts (or not) encouraged to snitch on "unusual behaviour". A police state or what? Where can one go these days without being continually spied upon?

Simple. If you don't want it on camera, don't do it. Or do it in the privacy of your own home.

I'll never understand the folks that post drunk pictures of themselves on that interweb thing, either.

Or otherwise smart people that don't know about telephoto lenses that can spot boobies a mile away.

Edited by impulse

Considering the lovely Lumpini Police stopped my partner and I in the area a few years ago and attempted to extort money from me after suggesting she was a prostitute and I had picked her up from a bar, and not listening to me tell Officer Somchai that despite his assumptions, prostitutes did not wear long dresses, nor did their customers wear shiny dress shoes and formal attire... I will feel more safe outside of the "safety zone" thanks.

I suppose on the positive, the men of the Congo, Nigeria and the women of the Ukraine now only need walk across the road to the booth at the end of the street, and it will be guaranteed an officer will be present to accept their "donation" to ensure that nobody commits crimes against them whilst they are tourists in Thailand.

A good joke, from a seriously bombastic organization needing to look at themselves before judging others. Bangkok Police are but a shade of their country-folk friends who in my experience do a much better and fairer job of Policing. What most people in the Nana area deem crime (e.g. anything other crime minus prostitution) does not take place at Nana, it takes place when the girl leaves with the guy. This leaves the question.. are we protecting Farangs from crime being committed against them, or ensuring that Farangs do not commit crime within the safety areas?

Will be interesting when there is an "incident" and the owners of half the bars in Nana Plaza, Outlaws MC, turn up to take care of business.

• Like 1

How about some credit to the police for trying to do something about the crime. Everyone complains about the police doing nothing then they try to do something and everyone complains. You all are really a bunch of little whiny jack offs

Congratulations on your first post, unfortunately displaying complete ignorance about the Thai police. This will be a warning to keep away from an extortion zone. The police in that area are one of the most corrupt groups in Bangkok.

• Like 2

Good God! Where did they get all the police from? I'm quite sure that there were more police in that video than we have in Chiang Mai. Province.

I think thats the first time I have ever seen the nana hotel carpark a hooker free zone.

I've been coming to Thailand and staying either at Nana Hotel or Dynasty Inn since 1986 and have never seen the Nana Hotel carpark after 10pm when it wasn't packed with hookers of all gender. After the bars close, it's like a skin fair.

• Like 1

How about some credit to the police for trying to do something about the crime. Everyone complains about the police doing nothing then they try to do something and everyone complains. You all are really a bunch of little whiny jack offs

I appreciate your frustrations, but Policing where the crimes are actually committed would be more effective - though as stated in my previous post it does depend on which crimes you are trying to identify and commit.. sorry, I meant identify and stop.

This "safety zone" is a great way to identify which bars are not just serving drinks (ho ho ho) and shut them down, as well as cart a few of their customers off to the monkey house. A true "safety zone" would be more effective from Soi Nana right up Sukhumvit to Soi 33 or so, where most of the scammers, theives and drug dealers swindle visitors, many of which are afraid to go to the Police when something goes wrong, so the crime goes under-reported.

A trained eye in the securities industry (which is effectivly what the Police are providing here) could see this as more of a Farang containment zone, protecting the outside world from what is inside, rather than the prior assumed, which is also a bit of a concern.

I can say that I have been one of this statistic along the stretch before and would have done a treat with a cop outside the restaurant in which I was robbed by a passing Katoey. The 10,000 baht s/he took from me as I pushed s/he away politely refusing her "random hug" after SCB had earlier in the day refused my query to open a bank account to put it in cost me a lot of money.. s/he just ran, and I knew going to the Police about it would just end up costing me more in one way, shape, or form.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

This sort of propoganda does nothing but achieve ridicule . Posting a Thai officer outside resturants sort of suggest to tourists that they have entetred the danger zone not the safety zone. If it was not so pathetic it would be funny.

The Thai police are simply walking wallets and will only be there for their own ends. Also the quisling resturant owners in their printed T Shirts gives me the need for a violent bowel movement.

The RTP hierarchy spend their time and effort trying to establish the very false impression that they are there for you. If they conducted themselves in an acceptable manner in the overall execution of their duties and responsibilities ,then we would not have the conditions that prevail today. The whole exercise is as usefull as tits on a bull. Just another waste of tax payers money.

When will they get it through their thick skulls that noboby in this country has either faith or trust in the Royal Thai Police, not even the locals. It is a mantel that they have gained by their inter actions with the public over decades. A totally corrupted and disfunctional group from the very top down.

One of the best posts I have seen.

I was once told that respect must be earned - not expected.

How can a serving police officer stand in the middle of the road in Sukhumvit (or any other road) and ask you for money to "help him" because you made an error whilst driving

How can a serving police officer ride a motorcycle without a helmet - whilst further down the road - his colleagues are stopping ordinary riders for not wearing a helmet

How can a serving police officer refuse to help the victim of a crime because "it's not his department"

Truly sickening.

More police in Nana = more cries of "hey you farang - show passport". Yep I bet that makes people feel really safe and secure in their 'safety zone' coffee1.gif

• Like 1

just arrived have ya