Double Pricing - The Law

nokbird

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I wonder if it's not a shame that the Mayan prediction didn't come true yesterday. If it did, we wouldn't have to listen to all of this BS anymore!

i do wonder how you listen to a online forum, it might be possible for the reading impaired but still.

Sometimes i wish that Mayan prediction came true then i did not have to read about people who don't care about double pricing.

For the parks i find it perfectly ok, i just don't visit them when i don't see the value. For private businesses its a different story.

I heard some Thais complain about the parks and prices, they wanted to add a island to a park and then the hotels would have to charge the fee. The Thai people working for the hotel / resort were not amused as they thought it would hurt their business. Also Thais themselves don't like the park fees, especially if you take a long-tail boat around krabbi and have to pay a fee just to stay at one of the islands for a short period.

Yu'p thai price and falang price, it here and in many other countries, is it fair ?

but it would be concidered aracist thing in OZ.

Yes we are smarter about our pricing.

We just put up the prices in tourist hot spots and charge the overseas students 4 times the price.

Perhaps Thailand should do the same. But I do not really care, complaining about forking out 200 baht to go to a national park sounds like a bit of a whinge to me. Plus Thai wages compared to Foreigners wage is probably more than double.

This is the way they want to do it, if you don't like it, you don't have to go.

Why should this be illegal? It is not a scam, it is business.biggrin.png

Correct. Thailand is not a PC nanny state. A business has the freedom to ask more from whiteys, blacks or whatever. They can even refuse you if they don't like your nose.

Shocked? You have the freedom to avoid them too.

Wrong. Thailand is a huge PC nanny state. Say something wrong about a higher up and you will either find yourself crumpled on the side of the road or in court explaining that what you said was 100% true but not PC. The place is a heavenly nanny state for those with cash and connections. I believe that we all know this and when people come up with the "Thailand is not a nanny state" comment I really want to laugh. The wealthy can operate with impunity in areas for which if a poor person were to try, he/she would end up with considerable trouble... So yeah, Thailand is a nanny state.

Thailand is not a Nanny State at all, it is a totalitarian state operating under the guize of a democracy. A Nanny state is where the government and their armed agents control every aspect of your life, welfare abounds, taxes on the middle class are high and PC is enforcable with jail terms. PC is deriguer lefist or conservationist dogma, it isn't about offending some rich pri*ck or bureaucrat. The Nanny Sate is beloved in the west and extremely popular with TV members. Totalitarian states eventually evolve from nanny sates as it is the logical outcome but seems few here have figured that out yet.

Yu'p thai price and falang price, it here and in many other countries, is it fair ?

Yes we are smarter about our pricing.

We just put up the prices in tourist hot spots and charge the overseas students 4 times the price.

Perhaps Thailand should do the same. But I do not really care, complaining about forking out 200 baht to go to a national park sounds like a bit of a whinge to me. Plus Thai wages compared to Foreigners wage is probably more than double.

This is the way they want to do it, if you don't like it, you don't have to go.

I don't accept what you say but even if it were true then to enter a National Park would be twice what the Thai pays not 10X - still unfair!

As far as I know there are no race discrimination laws in Thailand.

There is much discrimination here in Thailand against us honkies. Most of it is done discreetly in certain Thai orientated establishments, such as in adult entertainments. Even in some local markets it`s a fact that the farang is expected to pay more.

The Thai attitude is, a dollar is nothing to a farang, so they should pay more and that includes, taxi services, home building, contractor services, and all across the board as a whole.

As for the above Thai orientated establishments and the double pricing rip-offs, I just avoid those places; because we have no statutory rights here and unfortunately that’s the way it is and probably will always be.

I have come to accept this now, no choice, like it or lump it. It`s really about are you prepared to put up with these attitudes and another good reason why Westerners should seriously think carefully if considering moving to Thailand for the long term.

• Like 1

I thought it was quite simple. If you don't like or can't afford the price then don't go. Many Thais can't afford the price of a MacDonalds hamburger or frlies, so they don't go there. Some can't afford the price to see a zoo. Live with it. Most Thais I know work a 9 hour day for 6 days a week, just to survive.

I had a Thai friend book me into a Nice Hoteland pay for it herself....She and her husband picked me up at the Airport and took me to the Hotel - the receptionist took one look at me and told them they had to pay much much more - They were shocked and shamed - they didn't know this happened....I said I would pay but they wouldn't here of it...They paid up and apologized to me for their Country.

Maybe a little off topic here, but this morning a Thai lady I know asked me to join her shopping at Pratunam. To be clear, she has her own money and I was not expected to pay for her purchases, pack mule maybe. I told her I would be happy to go but that I thought it might be a bad idea as she might not get a "discount" if I were with her. She thought it would be fine. Sure enough, the first three shops we went to refused to bargain, even though I purposely hung back about 5-10 feet. She then apologetically asked me if we could meet in 1 hour as she had to shop alone. Not a problem as I knew it was coming, but I was a little peeved that they would refuse to bargain with her, particularly as I was not paying the bill.

I thought it was quite simple. If you don't like or can't afford the price then don't go. Many Thais can't afford the price of a MacDonalds hamburger or frlies, so they don't go there. Some can't afford the price to see a zoo. Live with it. Most Thais I know work a 9 hour day for 6 days a week, just to survive.

Sorry i dont believe that!!!!! most thais woudlnt do a 9hr day in a fit....Yep they work 6 days (some)...but in that day they will only do maybe 3 hrs max actual work.

Stop trying to fix Thailand....and like others have posted.....dont spend the money if it's not value.....Simple hey?. Then they will learn about respect earning a dollar .It's a good place, but you have to bring all into perspective.....you dont spend money they learn why!!!!!!

Sorry i dont believe that!!!!! most thais woudlnt do a 9hr day in a fit....Yep they work 6 days (some)...but in that day they will only do maybe 3 hrs max actual work.

Stop trying to fix Thailand....and like others have posted.....dont spend the money if it's not value.....Simple hey?. Then they will learn about respect earning a dollar .It's a good place, but you have to bring all into perspective.....you dont spend money they learn why!!!!!!

I'll stick with what I wrote. I said the Thais that I know. I didn't say all Thais. And, if you really want to discuss work ethics, then I could safely say that many people working in North America, Australia and Great Britain don't work much more than 3 out of every 8 hours on the job.

And, who is trying to "fix" Thailand? Just accept it as it is. There are good points and bad points.

I will agree with GrahamF that Thais will do a better job at negotiating a deal with other Thais than they will if a farang is tagging along. It just goes with the territory. I don't have much use for Cheap Charlies and tightwad farangs who will dicker over a few baht with Thais. Most of them need it a whole lot more than we do.

I'll stick with what I wrote. I said the Thais that I know. I didn't say all Thais. And, if you really want to discuss work ethics, then I could safely say that many people working in North America, Australia and Great Britain don't work much more than 3 out of every 8 hours on the job.

And, who is trying to "fix" Thailand? Just accept it as it is. There are good points and bad points.

I will agree with GrahamF that Thais will do a better job at negotiating a deal with other Thais than they will if a farang is tagging along. It just goes with the territory. I don't have much use for Cheap Charlies and tightwad farangs who will dicker over a few baht with Thais. Most of them need it a whole lot more than we do.

I think you will be surprised about that, Thais owning shops or businesses can be quite well off. Anyway your entitled to your opinion as we are to our own. I just don't go to something if i don't feel it has enough value for money. I refuse to pay 200 bt for a half hour on a beach in a nature park. Ill stay on the boat or go diving a bit more then. Also many of the waterfalls are not woth the money, though with my Thai drivers license i often can get in cheaper.

OP, here it is,

Thailand 2007 Constitution. Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and

shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of

the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical

or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing,

religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall

not be permitted.

Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate

obstacles to or to promote persons’ ability to exercise their rights

and liberties in the same manner as other persons shall not be

deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.

http://www.senate.go.th/th_senate/English/constitution2007.pdf

Why should this be illegal? It is not a scam, it is business.biggrin.png

Correct. Thailand is not a PC nanny state. A business has the freedom to ask more from whiteys, blacks or whatever. They can even refuse you if they don't like your nose.

Shocked? You have the freedom to avoid them too.

Total nonsense, what a stupid, stupid post

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

OP, here it is,

Thailand 2007 Constitution. Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and

not be permitted.

http://www.senate.go...itution2007.pdf

That’s in principle, the reality is completely different.

Perhaps we should carry a written copy of the Section 30 law and wave it in the faces of those who try to rip us off on a regular basis here?

OP, here it is,

not be permitted.

http://www.senate.go...itution2007.pdf

In the preamble it specifically states "Rights of the Thai People", therefore not relevant to this topic.

In the preamble it specifically states "Rights of the Thai People", therefore not relevant to this topic.

Nice trythumbsup.gif. Can you link to that please? "Rights of the Thai People"clap2.gif

In detail of the PDF at CHAPTER III - Rights and Liberties of the Thai People

Personally I don't mind...I don't go to these places much anyway. Besides, I'm paid 5-10 times more for being a white teacher compared to the local teachers, or even other non-native speakers? Is that fair? Should I insist they pay me the Thai salary in return for cheap entry to a lousy National park?biggrin.png