Hsbc Secure Key

Hi.

I've read some posts but the information is probably old now.

1. I use HSBC online banking in the U.K with the secure key. Does this U.K key still work in Thailand? Do you need to contact HSBC to change anything for it to work? What do you do if it breaks?

2. I read a while ago that HSBC has pulled out of Thailand. Branches i know of were in Rama IV and Thonglor. Has this changed anything? Presumably with the branches gone then your only way of accessing account information is online?

3. Is it time to open another account with an alternate U.K bank/building society? I'm aware a lot of people liked Nationwide because of the free withdrawals on foreign transactions. Is this still the case?

I've always stuck with HSBC because it has been a no hassle bank and transfers etc have been executed quickly and reliably so don't really want to open another if not really necessary.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

I bank with HSBC and use the secure key for online banking just the same as the UK. You do not have to do anything different. If it breaks you will have to get a replacement sent from UK. You can use telephone banking in the meantime. When I first came here I went to the branch in Rama IV to move my A/C to there but charges seemed high and they wanted proof of ID i.e passport, debit card and copies of utilities bills. I explained that I was renting and the bills were not in my name. Oh no sir, bills with your UK address on!! <deleted> who carries those with them!!! So I just run my a/c now the same as in the UK , online or telephone.

Also had a Nationwide card but it is no longer free to use outside Europe

As was said before you can use the keys anywhere, but there are things you can do in advance of a trip to make things easier.

First is to test that your telephone banking works. If you forget the answers to the security questions, you will be locked out.

And if the key is broken or lost, you will be locked out of both. In the UK you can visit an HSBC branch but in Thailand you are screwed.

If you still have an old key (the oval one) get it replaced with the new square one before you go.

With the oval ones, they did not break but the battery expired more than once.

Yes a good idea to have a secondary source of funds. Nationwide is a possibility but they have been trigger happy lately in blocking overseas transactions as 'suspicious' (see Nationwide thread). If you are a regular visitor to LOS then you might want to consider opening a Thai bank account and parking say 5000 pounds in it as a backup. Any Thai bank in walking distance to where you stay should be fine.

Hi.

Thanks for your info. I have had the card type key for about a year-no problems. I just tuck it carefully into my wallet if i go out and need access at branches and just store it for use at home. I will look into the telephone banking option as a back up. I don't believe i am currently registered for this as i prefer the convenience and privacy of e-banking. I did use it once but this was for a specific savings account which has long since closed. Shame HSBC has pulled out of Bangkok. I regularly used to use the branch in Thonglor.

Thanks.

Want withdrawals with your HSBC card without the Bank of Thailand fee at an ATM? Use an Aeon atm (japanese financing company, ATM withdrawals are not routed through the Bank of Thailand). They have a lot of locations in Bangkok. Go to www.aeon.co.th for a list of their ATM locations in Bangkok.