Monthly Motorbike Rental In Patong

Rigo29

Hi everybody and good morning to you !

I woudl like to know where I could find a motorbike to rent on a monthly basis in Patong (I'm on Nanai - Nanai 9 to be precise). I used to do that in Hua Hin for 2500THB but when I asked in a shop here in Phuket the lady said to me something like 4000THB or something.

Do you have any idea where I could fine one for a good price ?

Thanks guys ;)

You are looking to hire in the peak season on Phuket, so, I would think 4000 baht per month would be close to the standard price. You may be able to negotioate a slightly lower price if you are taking the bike for a few months.

Stay away from any place that wants to hold your passport. Only hire from places that will accept a photocopy.

Try to park the bike off the street at your accommodation.

A quick google and you will see the roads on Phuket are dangerous. It's a lot different to Hua Hin here because of the lack of affordable transport here. It sounds like you are an experienced rider in Thailand, but that will not help you much when a drunk farang crashes into you. In my opinion, the risk involved with riding a bike is higher on Phuket than elsewhere in Thailand.

See the below link. Another two deceased, and one critically injured, just the other night.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Ladyboy-survivor-sole-link-to-lethal-Phuket-motorbike-crash-mystery-19771.html

Also, a quick google and you will see your travel insurance, if you have any, will not cover you if you are not licenced to ride in your home country and/or Thailand.

Enjoy you time on Phuket and stay safe, and legal, this festive season.

Thank a lot guys. I'm not a big fan of bars so I'm not going out at night time that much. It might have a better chance of surviving on the island I guess :D

As I'm here at least for a year, do you think that I should buy a motorbike then rather than spending 4000thb every month ? Sorry I have quiet a few questions about all that but I'd like to make a wise choice in order to save money :)

As I'm here at least for a year, do you think that I should buy a motorbike then rather than spending 4000thb every month ? Sorry I have quiet a few questions

You can get a Honda Click or Yamaha Nuevo for about 20.000 to 25.000, in good shape with about 15-20.000 km on the odometer. I asked for a friend and he got a Click for 25.000 including transfer of ownership. I recommend Boy in Nanai Road, next hill after Soi 2 before entrance to Soi 1. He got a sign out for T-Max. He also does repair jobs for a good price.

(Not affiliate but happy customer with three bikes, from Honda Wave to Kawa ZX130 to Honda PCX.)

I always advise long stay guests to buy rather than rent, that's assuming they can afford the full cash payment for a bike. The rental costs for 18 months will cover the purchase cost in full. The running costs are minimal, accidents and theft have to be paid to the rental company anyway. Easy to buy, just get a certificate of residence at Immigration (supply a copy of your rental contract) and use to register the bike at the Vehicle Transport Office.

If you don't want to pay for a new bike, ask at the bike dealers if they have any repossessed bikes for sale. But beware that 2nd hand bikes hold their value very well here in Thailand. if someone is selling cheap then there might be a reason (stolen or a dud).

Thank a lot guys. I'm not a big fan of bars so I'm not going out at night time that much. It might have a better chance of surviving on the island I guess biggrin.png

As I'm here at least for a year, do you think that I should buy a motorbike then rather than spending 4000thb every month ? Sorry I have quiet a few questions about all that but I'd like to make a wise choice in order to save money smile.png

I would rent for the first month, just to see if you like Phuket. Sure, you can "post" your bike to a different place in Thailand, if you decide to move, but it's easier to hand the bike back and fly away.

After a month, if Phuket is the place for you, I suggest you buy a good second hand bike. There are usually quite a few for sale during the trailing end of the high season.

Edited by NamKangMan

Ok ,ok ! You gave me a lot to think about... I think that I'm gonna buy a 2nd hand probably and rent one on a daily basis until I found a place to buy it from. I'm really glad and would like to thank you all for your kind replies. Best regards and merry xmas ;)

To iceman - why do you have to specify drunk farang, just drunk will do.

Fair call Valentine.

I think I specified "drunk farang" because many holidaying farang get caught up in the holiday atmosphere and the perception of freedom from the law here. They are excited to be here and their sense of responsibility to themselves, and others, diminishes.

Of course, you are correct. A Thai breaking the law is the same as a farang breaking the law, and there is plenty of both on the island.

buy an sell back if ur here for a year.

I hate the auto bikes and brought another good Honda 125 wave in Phuket town for 24,000, (mileage is not something i would go by)

PS honda waves hold their value and don't buy on the beachs, there are two good shops in Phuket town on the main road heading into town across from the Honda Dealer shop.

New 125 are over 50 thou with electric start The xtra power is nice for phuket cause so many hills

Edited by phuketrichard

But you cannot buy motorbike on tourist visa, you need at least edu visa or now some trustworthy Thai

Yes, you can, also legally. You just need proof of address, and that is easy to get even visa exempt.

what is visa exempt?

Just the 30 day entry stamp. or 15 days if by land arrival.

But you cannot buy motorbike on tourist visa, you need at least edu visa or now some trustworthy Thai

Yes, you can, also legally. You just need proof of address, and that is easy to get even visa exempt.

what is visa exempt?

Just the 30 day entry stamp. or 15 days if by land arrival.

Ok so visa on arrival. Sorry I didnt want to get technical

Ok so visa on arrival. Sorry I didnt want to get technical

No, visa on arrival is applicable to countries who are not eligible for a visa exempt entry. This is very often confused, but not the same.

Yes, that is the correct answer. Visas, Visa exempt, Visa on arrival, and extensions are all not well understood by many folks visiting or living in Thailand.