B10,500++ Compulsory Nye Dinner. A Record?

Cleveland

The point is not about those that want to splurge for an expensive event on NYE. The point is that travelers that are booked into the hotel will be forced (not offered) to pay for something that they might not even want to partake in just so they have a bed to sleep in for that particular evening.

If the party was optional then I don't see this being an issue for complaints. But it's COMPULSORY for all guests whether you intend to attend or not. Whether you have been staying at the hotel for the past week or you are just checking in for that one night.

It's basically a tax that is being added to the bills of all guests for that one night. You can call it what you want but I call it unnecessary greed. If not, they wouldn't make it compulsory. What do you expect families that don't feel the need to participate in the gala to do? Check out and find another hotel for the night? Or I guess this is a warning for all future travelers that might be considering Pattaya for their NYE destination. Be prepared to be overcharged. If not prepared for it, find a different destination (Tokyo sounds nice) or stay home. Only the likes of D Trump will be welcomed here these days.

The compulsory party is optional. If people don't like the idea they don't book the hotel. That's pretty simple. They know the charges, they know the deal. Take it or leave it.

This is just part and parcel of the hotel business. They have an opportunity to make some money and that's their duty to shareholders.

I don't think too many people who stay in 5 star hotels at New Year are bothered by the cost of the party and enjoy the occasion. Budget travelers don't book into 5 star hotels at New Year.

You mean don't book into a Pattaya hotel for NYE. I am looking at the Dusit booking page and NO compulsory charge is being added for NYE in the Manila locale but here in Pattaya.. forget about it....

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so let's say a certain countries airlines start charging a compulsory + 2x fare to fly on Xmas day or new year because a special dinner is on. This would be seen as good business throughout the global industry? Don't talk crap.

You're the one "talking crap" and flaming I might add.

If an airline could charge more for a special flight or occasion, then that would be good business. The question would be - will the customers pay for such a service? Obviously your ridiculous idea would not work.

In the case of hotels it does work because they are booked out during these special occasions.

Now quit flaming and think before you reply again.

Edited by tropo

You mean don't book into a Pattaya hotel for NYE. I am looking at the Dusit booking page and NO compulsory charge is being added for NYE in the Manila locale but here in Pattaya.. forget about it....

That's right but they don't have the location or view in Manila that you'll have in Pattaya Bay.

That's right but they don't have the location or view in Manila that you'll have in Pattaya Bay.

What view does D2 have in Pattaya? It's on 2nd road you know.

• Like 1

Ok so let's say a certain countries airlines start charging a compulsory + 2x fare to fly on Xmas day or new year because a special dinner is on. This would be seen as good business throughout the global industry? Don't talk crap.

You're the one "talking crap" and flaming I might add.

If an airline could charge more for a special flight or occasion, then that would be good business. The question would be - will the customers pay for such a service? Obviously your ridiculous idea would not work.

In the case of hotels it does work because they are booked out during these special occasions.

Now quit flaming and think before you reply again.

I think you'll find in developed countries hotels would be empty if they tried this as it would be considered price fixing/gouging and would likely be illegal.

If the party was optional then I don't see this being an issue for complaints. But it's COMPULSORY for all guests whether you intend to attend or not. Whether you have been staying at the hotel for the past week or you are just checking in for that one night.

This is true, but as long as they make it clear when you book it isn't really an issue. Having been informed of the requirement you make your own mind up as to whether you choose to take it or leave it.

Other hotels are always available.

Those who choose to take it rather than leave it are still idiots though. smile.png

Hardly - it's after the Dolphon roundabout so it comes off Naklua Road. It has a fine view of Pattaya Bay.

Hardly - it's after the Dolphon roundabout so it comes off Naklua Road. It has a fine view of Pattaya Bay.

Err.. no

Oh dear, the same old "if you criticise it then surely you cant afford it" nonsense. How tedious. I have more than enough money to go to things like this but I don't, largely because I dont want to be mistaken for the sort of pretentious clowns that do go to them. I still have some pride.

Yes, these affairs are indeed largely attended by idiots with more money than sense. Especially here. Can I be any clearer?

Is Donald Trump an idiot? Of course he is. Anyone can tell that just by looking at that stray animal he calls a wig. And on that I rest my case, though if you want more proof of wealthy people being idiots do try George W Bush who has barely enough brains to even qualify for the description of idiot.

It seems to be everyone is an idiot to you. Maybe it's time to look in the mirror? You are absurdly critical of anyone who doesn't mind spending more than you consider sensible.

Err.. no

Err.... yes!

Dusit Thani Pattaya

x.gif

240/2 Pattaya Beach Road

Ok. Have your driver drop you off at the Dusit Thani on beach road.

After trying to check in and realising you are infact at the wrong hotel. Enjoy your walk back to the Dusit D2 half way along 2nd road. :lol:

Try and buy a ticket to fly from the UK to Thailand either in early April or between 10th and 24th December. You'll find that airlines do indeed charge extra because a special event is on.

The D2 is on 2nd Road next door to The Avenue.

It does have a view of the bay and the fireworks, but probably not as good as the view from the Hilton.

The Dusit is a different place altogether.

It's only 6 or 7 floors and 90% of the rooms look down onto the swimming pool?

Err.. no

Err.... yes!

Dusit Thani Pattaya

x.gif

240/2 Pattaya Beach Road

Ok. Have your driver drop you off at the Dusit Thani on beach road.

After trying to check in and realising you are infact at the wrong hotel. Enjoy your walk back to the Dusit D2 half way along 2nd road. laugh.png

My reply was in relation to the following comment. It should be pretty obvious that I was referring to the Dusit Hotel on the Bay.

" I am looking at the Dusit booking page and NO compulsory charge is being added for NYE in the Manila locale but here in Pattaya.. forget about it...."

Try and buy a ticket to fly from the UK to Thailand either in early April or between 10th and 24th December. You'll find that airlines do indeed charge extra because a special event is on.

What's the additional charge called?

You are absurdly critical of anyone who doesn't mind spending more than you consider sensible.

Is there a law or forum rule against that?

I know many people who are much smarter and much richer than I am, but I dont think that any of them would end up in an obligatory NYE "do" as a result of booking a hotel room.

It seems that for the past few years every day is a special event for the airlines.

Ahhhh ok, perhaps I was a little heavy on the vodka last night. I seem to be seeing D's and 2's. :)

It does have a view of the bay and the fireworks, but probably not as good as the view from the Hilton.

Sorry, I was talking about the rooftop area where they hold their "events". That does have a fair view of the bay. I saw some fireworks from up there last year, and it wasnt bad. Not as good as the view from the Edge in the Hilton though.

I agree that there will no special view from the rooms.

You are absurdly critical of anyone who doesn't mind spending more than you consider sensible.

Is there a law or forum rule against that?

No, but calling successful self made businessmen and 2 term US presidents "idiots" is a bit idiotic.smile.png

Sorry, I was talking about the rooftop area where they hold their "events". That does have a fair view of the bay. I saw some fireworks from up there last year, and it wasnt bad. Not as good as the view from the Edge in the Hilton though.

I agree that there will no special view from the rooms.

I never made it further than the upstairs bar unfortunately ;)

Ahhhh ok, perhaps I was a little heavy on the vodka last night. I seem to be seeing D's and 2's. smile.png

Fair enough - he switched Dusit to D2.

What's the additional charge called?

About £150 most years.