Skinflint Dad

bkkmick

My 11 y.o. daughter wanted an iPhone for Christmas (as they do I guess).

Well, the iPhone 5 was out of reach so, I went to MBK and bought one of those dodgy iPhone 3Gs phones for THB6,500.

I had a go on it checking that things worked. checked out the standard/installed apps, took a picture, put my SIM card in and phoned the wife to check all that worked. No problems. The girl selling the phone explained that I couldn't upgrade the OS past the 4.1 that's already there. I knew that it's some kind of imported/dodgy version, but hey, t's not that much money so I decided to go for it.

Today my daughter was trying to download Line and Facebook apps but they say that they need OS4.3 installed.

Is there anything I can do about downloading these apps or is there some kind of hardware upgrade I can do that will allow me to upgrade the OS?

Thinking that I've (almost) wasted the money as these phones without the 'important' apps for an 11 y.o. is kind of pointless (to her!).

Cheers

Mick

My ipad 1 cannot be upgraded to 6.0. It is possible yours is not upgrade able. But, try to jailbreak it and see if you can install the OS that way.

Out of here http://en.wikipedia...._devices#iPhone

your Pad can only get 5.1

But a 3GS can/should be able to 6.0.1

Maybe it isn't a 3GS? The 3G is only 4.2.1

@OP: does your 3GS(?) has the digital compass and a 833MHz clocking CPU, underclocked to 600 MHz?

Edited by noob7

They told you it was not able to be upgraded because chances are it is sim locked to a foreign network. Upgrading the iOS will delete the jailbreak or the unlock feature.

If u go on apple the only iOS upgrade it will offer is 6.1 which is not jail breakable so chances are you will be left with a brick. Just go on google and find a version below 6.1 then re jailbreak the phone but for god sake don't hook it up to iTunes as it may auto download the new iOS then your screwed.

I've seen the 3GS for sale for 8-9K in 'JayMart' with IOS 6 already installed.

And this helps him how ? :)

It proves it can be done!

sent from my Q6

The question is not can it be done but can it be done to his one. Why would the seller specify it can't if it could. In my experience with phone stores they would have been happy to get a few extra baht and upgrade it for him.

I've seen the 3GS for sale for 8-9K in 'JayMart' with IOS 6 already installed.

And this helps him how ? :)

It proves it can be done!

sent from my Q6

The question is not can it be done but can it be done to his one. Why would the seller specify it can't if it could. In my experience with phone stores they would have been happy to get a few extra baht and upgrade it for him.

My experience of phone shops here is they haven't got a clue what they are selling :)

sent from my Q6

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Well confused now.

noob7: Yes, it does have the Compass application

I've been doing some investigation and one site says that it's an early 3Gs locked to O2 in the UK (irlguy1 - seems you're right).

Some details:

Version: 4.1 (8B117)

Model: MC131B

Firmware: 06.15.00

A bit aprehensive about starting the Jailbreak process. In the dark about those things....

I've been doing some investigation and one site says that it's an early 3Gs locked to O2 in the UK (irlguy1 - seems you're right).

Some details:

A bit aprehensive about starting the Jailbreak process. In the dark about those things....

6.15 is an ipad baseband.

http://arstechnica.c...the-iphone-3gs/

ios 6 can be installed, you may just have to go through a world of hurt to do it.

you can also search for an older compatible version of facebook, available from installous or something similar.

redsn0w 9.15 b2 will allow you to do an untethered jailbreak. i believe.

do your research there are alot of conflicting stories.

i think an unthethered jailbreeak for 3gs is old bootroom specific

Edited by tinfoilhat

I think that the Serial Number is important, so here it is: 85012NNL3NP

I think I'll have a go at Jailbreaking it....if you think that this version is able to be Jailbroken?

Thanks again

Mick

First lesson: Do NOT under any circumstances buy a jailbroken phone.

But now you've got it, you'll have to deal with it - som nam naa!

I'd actually try to exchange it for a not jailbroken one at the shop where you got it - even if you know what you're doing in no way is it worth the hassle to upgrade. That's the first option. Make a scene, demand your money back, smile, whatever - it's easily with an extra 1000 baht or whatever. A used unlocked 3GS should not cost more than 7-8k.

Second and much worse option is to upgrade and jailbreak it, use the instructions at iClarified. It's a lengthy process and you'll probably "brick" the phone at least once. But no worry, there's always a way out using the various tools like RedSn0w, Pwnage Tool, TinyUmbrella etc.

I am not sure you can unlock a 6.x iOS install - so what you can do is install iOS 5.1.1. Do some research, and remember jailbreaking is the easy part - you need to jailbreak AND unlock, and the unlocking is an entirely different thing and usually a version of two behind.

Some details:

6.15 is an ipad baseband.

i suspect it is a 3g not a 3gs

In that case he got really ripped off in the store.

A friend of mine did the iPad baseband trick on his 3G, it never worked well, it was slow as a dog, and in any case, it can't be upgraded past 4.2.x or something. To charge 6k baht for that is a total rip off.

[Edit]

Ok there's yet hope, according to the serial number, this is a black 16GB 3GS.

See here: http://www.iphonehac...ial-number.html

The suffix 3NP is a 3GS.

So that's good. Why they installed an iPad baseband on it - I don't know. Hopefully it can be reversed.

Downgrade guide:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3gs-3g-06.15.00-to-05.13.04-baseband-for-unlock-and-working-gps/

So the iPad baseband was a trick people used to unlock their iPhone 3 and 3GS. Unfortunately it has a side effect in that it disables the GPS on the phone (it will still do GPS but only WiFi based). And it's generally a hack you should undo before beginning to upgrade the OS and jailbreak/unlock.

Edited by nikster

personally i would take it back.. get my money back less any return fee say 500b.

then go and buy a brand new Android phone. Brand new it has warranty. Facebook etc will work. sorted

My tip for a decent phone... I-mobile Q4, 4995b brand new with Android ICS. Screen saver and silicon sleeve included.

post-62652-0-36967000-1356587218_thumb.p

post-62652-0-76223700-1356587370_thumb.j

PS. I dont work for I-mobile. just impressed with the newer Qstyle and IQ series AND THE PRICES.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

personally i would take it back.. get my money back less any return fee say 500b.

then go and buy a brand new Android phone. Brand new it has warranty. Facebook etc will work. sorted

My tip for a decent phone... I-mobile Q4, 4995b brand new with Android ICS. Screen saver and silicon sleeve included.

PS. I dont work for I-mobile. just impressed with the newer Qstyle and IQ series AND THE PRICES.

I am guessing you don't have kids?!

:cheesy:

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

Kids can spot a fake iphone at 50 paces.

Better to buy something else that isn't a fake.

OP can't install 5.1.1 without the blobs and there's no unlock for 6.x.x.

Best solution is to buy official unlock (about £40) and update to latest firmware.

That's second best, right after returning it to the shop.

Where would you get an "official unlock"? I didn't follow this recently so didn't know there's no unlock for 6.x.x - thanks for that info. Good point about the blobs - yet another restriction I forgot about. You can't install an older version unless you have saved the SHSH blobs for said version, and since this phone was on 4.x you can be pretty sure nobody saved these blobs. Bottom line is you can't install any software version except 6.x.x and that's going to lock the phone.

A factory unlocked 3GS can't cost more than 7 - 8k baht. A second hand iPhone 4 was going for 10-11k recently when I checked but that was before the iPhone 5 became widely available. Should have dropped a bit by now.

Edited by nikster

cheesy.gif

Buying your kid an Android phone when they wanted an iPhone - you might as well save the money, at least you won't get a phone thrown at you....

cheesy.gif

Buying your kid an Android phone when they wanted an iPhone - you might as well save the money, at least you won't get a phone thrown at you....

Just show them the difference on the web. At 11 they just want a touch screen phone. I'm pretty sure the Android phone I mentioned would run rings round an out of date IPhone 3gs.

Most kids here just say iPhone for any touch screen device.

Don't have kid's but teach them every day.

PS. My old Well com A90+ has got about the same spec as a 3gs. 1500b anyone

sent from my Q6

Edited by thaicbr

The problem with Android for kids, is that Android just has shitty apps (except for the Google apps and a few social media ones). For games, for education and for more *control* on what your kid can do with the phone, can't beat iPhone and the iOS ecosystem, even with a 3GS.

Where would you get an "official unlock"?

http://www.officiali...-3gs-unlock.php

Interesting - how does this work?

I mean, I suppose the same thing could be done for free simply through O2? Or not?

It sounds like all they do is have Apple officially factory unlock the phone. But the question is, why would that work? After all the point of the lock is that the phone is locked to a carrier. If Apple simply unlocked all phones for which a request comes in, that would defeat the point, wouldn't it?

I *thought* that basically only the carriers can ask Apple to unlock a phone.