Skinflint Dad

bkkmick

I mean, I suppose the same thing could be done for free simply through O2? Or not?

Yes, see here. I believe it's free, but I suspect the OP would need an O2 account to go this route.

It sounds like all they do is have Apple officially factory unlock the phone. But the question is, why would that work? After all the point of the lock is that the phone is locked to a carrier. If Apple simply unlocked all phones for which a request comes in, that would defeat the point, wouldn't it?

It's fairly common now for networks to offer factory unlocks once the phone is out of contract, but these places appear to be able to do it while the phone is still in contract - for a price. It's not clear how. Probably contacts in the networks or others that have access to the IMEI database. Since there is no legal obligation for a phone to be locked to a particular provider (there is of course a contractual obligation between the provider and the user, but this is not the same thing), as long as the user pays out the contract to its conclusion, there appears to be little the networks or Apple can do about the practice (beyond finding and firing their own people who are involved - obviously this doesn't seem to be going too well).

Okay, a bit off topic but I'll give it a go...I've got an (unlocked/jailbroken, purchased in the States) iphone 3GS with a 4.1 OS and I'd like to upgrade to the 6.1 OS...I'd take it to MBK but I live a long way from BK...searched quite a bit already, but no luck as yet...any links on how to do it would be appreciated...thank you...

^ultrasnow hasn't been updated for 6.x.x atm, so you're SOL (unless you want to risk using one of the non-official hacks floating around - probably a bad idea). You can go to 5.1.1 if you have the blobs. Check Cydia. Also note that any 6.x.x. jailbreak is currently tethered.

Also, if it's an AT&T phone you can get an official unlock for around 30 bucks. Much better solution.

Thanks for the replies. Well confused now.

noob7: Yes, it does have the Compass application

I've been doing some investigation and one site says that it's an early 3Gs locked to O2 in the UK (irlguy1 - seems you're right).

Some details:

Version: 4.1 (8B117)

Model: MC131B

Firmware: 06.15.00

A bit aprehensive about starting the Jailbreak process. In the dark about those things....

6.15 is an ipad baseband.

http://arstechnica.c...the-iphone-3gs/

ios 6 can be installed, you may just have to go through a world of hurt to do it.

you can also search for an older compatible version of facebook, available from installous or something similar.

redsn0w 9.15 b2 will allow you to do an untethered jailbreak. i believe.

do your research there are alot of conflicting stories.

i think an unthethered jailbreeak for 3gs is old bootroom specific

You do not have to jailbreak this phone as it is already jailbroken if it is on 6.15 firmware. You need to download redsnow 9.15b3 and downgrade the 6.15 firmware and do a factory unlock from ebay for about 2 bucks then you can put whatever you want on it. The guys at the phone places can do this for you for a few hundred baht too or if you want to come by my house in Nonthaburi when I get back in Feb I will do it for free. You will still have to pay for the unlock but they are cheap now on ebay. I have done many phones and they are pretty easy. I get most of my info from a site called iphoneheat.com. Cheers.

Buying your kid an Android phone when they wanted an iPhone - you might as well save the money, at least you won't get a phone thrown at you....

If this is the case, you have far bigger problems than just a dodgy phone. unsure.png

personally i would take it back.. get my money back less any return fee say 500b.

then go and buy a brand new Android phone. Brand new it has warranty. Facebook etc will work. sorted

My tip for a decent phone... I-mobile Q4, 4995b brand new with Android ICS. Screen saver and silicon sleeve included.

post-62652-0-36967000-1356587218_thumb.p

post-62652-0-76223700-1356587370_thumb.j

PS. I dont work for I-mobile. just impressed with the newer Qstyle and IQ series AND THE PRICES.

#

I agree but go for the Motorola Defy Mini which sells for 4900 baht which can acess Line and Facebook (g/f has one).....it also has the advantage of being waterproof,connects to WiFi and has a one year guarantee

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_defy_mini_xt320-4375.php

serves u right for falling for the emotional blackmail of an 11 year old

• Like 1

Buying your kid an Android phone when they wanted an iPhone - you might as well save the money, at least you won't get a phone thrown at you....

If this is the case, you have far bigger problems than just a dodgy phone. unsure.png

I was being metaphorical.

You do not have to jailbreak this phone as it is already jailbroken if it is on 6.15 firmware. You need to download redsnow 9.15b3 and downgrade the 6.15 firmware and do a factory unlock from ebay for about 2 bucks then you can put whatever you want on it. The guys at the phone places can do this for you for a few hundred baht too or if you want to come by my house in Nonthaburi when I get back in Feb I will do it for free. You will still have to pay for the unlock but they are cheap now on ebay. I have done many phones and they are pretty easy. I get most of my info from a site called iphoneheat.com. Cheers.

How do these ebay unlocks work?

Over a year ago I tried upgrading my (Cydia) jailbroken 3GS phone from IOS 4.3 to the 5.x software, then re-installed the jailbreak. The IOS upgrade was not compatible with the jailbreak software; end result, the battery fried while hooked up to the wall charger. It had lots of other issues - like constant freezes and reboots - but the battery charging - software controlled - was the big thing. For 1000 baht I could get a new, non-Apple auth. battery installed (and back to iOS vs. 4.3 working again), but it doesn't keep a charge worth a darn (less than 10 hours, with most services - wifi, gps, etc. - 'off').

Maybe the jailbreak software has been fixed to solve this, but I don't care. When this all happened, I went back to my basic Nokia phone for 6 months - just phone calls and text messages - and my phone life was way better.

Then about 6 months ago I bought a 4S phone, because I'm an Apple guy - I have a couple OSX PC's, an iPad - and like the cloud synching of all me contacts, schedule and bookmarks sort of features built into the OSX/iOS software. No jailbreak stuff for me - just a phone that I can upgrade with the latest iOS updates and not worry about it.

So, my recommendation to the OP - don't mess with the jailbreak stuff. I'm guessing you bought a jailbroke phone which is why you can't upgrade it beyond 4.1 without technical assistance from someone who does it regularly. (500 baht in the GSG mall)

But the bigger issue with these phones:

In order for your daughter to be truly happy, you'll need to pay for a full data plan monthly (prepaid, if your phone is jailbroken), for as long as she has the phone. This is like minimum 800 (or up to 1000 baht per month AIS 123 or whatever for big users of MMS and 3G data). That's the only way she'll be happy with her phone, is if she can connect to facebook anytime, anywhere. Trying to explain to them to use it only when wifi is available is wasting your breath - so pay for the 3G data from now until....

I've given up on my 11 y.o. learning to manage his phone costs. He uses the Nokia, but he can't seem to get it together to use text messaging; he forever eats thru his limited phone minutes so most of the time he can't place calls and I'll be damned if I'm going to top it up all the time so he can blah blah blah blah. Deal is, if he wants more minutes, he has to earn the money. He seems happy now using Facebook on the PC; the Nokia sits in his room, turned off, unused. (I sneak in every now and then to charge up the battery).

Call me SKINFLINT! I relish the title.