Australia's Dirty Little Secret

Australia's dirty little Secret

East Timor is a nation of some 800,000 inhabitants located on a small island, about 700km north of Australia. The western half had been a Dutch colony and became part of Indonesia after World War II. But the eastern half, which had been ruled for three centuries by Portugal, was given its independence with the collapse of the Portuguese empire in 1975.

Indonesia invaded the former colony in December 1975, formally annexing it the following year. Indonesia's military is estimated to have killed up to 200,000 Timorese and guerrilla leader Xanana Gusmao and 1996 Nobel Peace Prize winners Jose Ramos Horta and Bishop Carlos Belo have been fighting for East Timor's independence for 25 years.

In January 1999, Indonesian President BJ Habibie attempted to boost his international credibility by offering East Timor a referendum on its status. In the August poll, 78 percent of the electorate chose independence, but pro-Indonesia militias - backed by Indonesian military officers - launched a reign of terror against the pro-independence majority.

Australia's handling of East Timor is one of the most shameful episodes of Australian foreign policy. Until last year, when the Australian Government finally sent a peace keeping force to a nation devastated by the pro-Indonesian militia, successive federal governments have turned a blind eye to Indonesia's often brutal efforts to subdue the rebellious East Timorese.

Secret government papers released on September 12 2000 confirm that the then Labour government was fully aware of Indonesia's planned invasion and subsequent occupation of East Timor in 1975. The Australian government was also aware of the invasion plans prior to an attack which killed three Australian journalists ñ an allegation which has been denied for 25 years.

Even more damning is proof that Australia's official diplomatic records on East Timor were "sanitised", and did not accurately record talks between Australia and Indonesia.

For a quarter of a century, a central tenet of Australian foreign policy

has been that "friendship" with Indonesia has been more important than the rights and lives of the East Timorese.

The Glass Houses bit was right GP.

From the Washington Post December 7, 2001

President Gerald R. Ford and Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger gave Indonesian President Suharto the go-ahead for Indonesia's 1975 invasion of East Timor that left at least 200,000 dead, newly declassified documents show.

It has long been suspected that Ford and Kissinger approved the invasion of the former Portuguese colony. They met with Suharto in Jakarta on Dec. 6, 1975, the day before he sent Indonesian forces into East Timor.

In a secret State Department telegram, Ford and Kissinger assured Suharto that they would not object to what the Indonesian leader termed "rapid or drastic action" in East Timor.

"We will understand and will not press you on the issue," Ford said, according to the telegram, which was declassified in June and posted on the Web site of the National Security Archive at George Washington University. "We understand the problem you have and the intentions you have."

Australia may have turned a blind eye to what was going on, but the U.S actively supported the invasion.

From an interview with U.S journalist Allan Nairn.

Ever since the Indonesian invasion of East Timor in 1975, the U.S. government has sought to back Jakarta while keeping news of the atrocities there out of the public eye. But the sustained efforts of grassroots activists and a few persistent writers and journalists have insured that East Timor could not be ignored.

In 1991, U.S. journalists Allan Nairn and Amy Goodman were in Dili, the capital of East Timor, covering a peaceful memorial procession, when Indonesian troops -- armed with U.S. weapons -- opened fire, killing some 270 people. Though Nairn was severely beaten, he and Goodman were able to get out alive and they spread the word of the massacre around the world. (A photojournalist hiding behind a tombstone was also able to smuggle out videotape of the slaughter.)

That is quite interesting, and I agree that Australia may have handled it a bit better, but I feel there also needs to be some context to this.....

East Timor was a Portugese Colony. It never was and never has been Australian Soverign Soil. Unlike the United States, and still reeling from the local issues of the Vietnam war, Australia did not see itself as the Global or even Regional Policeman.

Also I think at that time Fretalin and the other independance from Portugal people were getting close to the communists.... At the time a worrying thing, considering Vietnam etc.

Technically when Australia Invaded East Timor, it was waging war, which is a crime, and the sponsors of such activities can get a free trip to the Hague to stand trial as a War Criminal.

Indonesia invaded the former colony in December 1975, formally annexing it the following year. Indonesia's military is estimated to have killed up to 200,000 Timorese and guerrilla leader Xanana Gusmao and 1996 Nobel Peace Prize winners Jose Ramos Horta and Bishop Carlos Belo have been fighting for East Timor's independence for 25 years.
The invasion was actually in November 1975. I think from memory it was either Nov 12 or 13 1975. Why is this important - If you look at Australian history, Australia had possibly the greatest political upheaval on Nov 11 when the Govenor General, the good old boozy, womanizing Sir John Kerr dismissed the Whitlam Government and installed Malcolm Fraser as the Caretaker Prime Minister.

Until after the general election, it was impossible for Australia to do anything. I find it more curious that Indonesia invaded Portugese East Timor so soon after the dismissal of the government and obviously when Australia's eyes were off that Portugese Colony.

Even more damning is proof that Australia's official diplomatic records on East Timor were "sanitised", and did not accurately record talks between Australia and Indonesia.

This is interesting, since the Australian Cabinet Minutes for this episode will not be removed from the Archive for another year or possibly 2, under the 30-year rule, it is difficult to understand how these records have been "sanitised" if they have never been released.

For a quarter of a century, a central tenet of Australian foreign policy

has been that "friendship" with Indonesia has been more important than the rights and lives of the East Timorese.

mmm, that is a good one, Australia at that time had a population of 13 million and a very small standing army, maybe a bit of polite friendship with a country of over 100 million and a standing army of over 1 million.

I will never appologise for the Australian foreign policy, but please consider what I have just said, and maybe research the situation a bit more.

I'm really bored with America, America, America, and I quite like reading about Australia, so I'm going to be doing a lot of researching and posting. Have fun proving that every crime committed in Australia for the last century is really America's fault! :o

By the way, a very large percentage of Armies world-wide use American weapons. That doesn't mean that America provided them. Do you really call this any kind of evidence?

In 1991, U.S. journalists Allan Nairn and Amy Goodman were in Dili, the capital of East Timor, covering a peaceful memorial procession, when Indonesian troops -- armed with U.S. weapons -- opened fire, killing some 270 people. Though Nairn was severely beaten, he and Goodman were able to get out alive and they spread the word of the massacre around the world. (A photojournalist hiding behind a tombstone was also able to smuggle out videotape of the slaughter.)

Its always easy to blame the U.S. for every world problem! However, in the case of East Timor it seems there is this nasty little connection between Australia and oil interests with their neighbor that has been brewing for years now. East Timor's ocean boundaries, to my understanding, just happen to sit upon some vast, untapped oil reserves.

A web search I did just revealed this info, though I haven't read it yet:

Timor Sea, Boundaries and Oil

Further, there exists in the U.S. quite a few groups that lobby on behalf of Timor such as The East Timor Action Network/U.S.

To use a quote from Tiz, "President Gerald R. Ford and Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger gave Indonesian President Suharto the go-ahead for Indonesia's 1975 invasion of East Timor that left at least 200,000 dead, newly declassified documents show.

It has long been suspected that Ford and Kissinger approved the invasion of the former Portuguese colony. They met with Suharto in Jakarta on Dec. 6, 1975, the day before he sent Indonesian forces into East Timor.

In a secret State Department telegram, Ford and Kissinger assured Suharto that they would not object to what the Indonesian leader termed "rapid or drastic action" in East Timor.

"We will understand and will not press you on the issue," Ford said, according to the telegram, which was declassified in June and posted on the Web site of the National Security Archive at George Washington University. "We understand the problem you have and the intentions you have." "

I would like to know your thoughts on this Georgie.

My feeling are, that if indeed these allegations are true (and I have no idea if they are) that it is possible that Nixon had good reason for OKing the invasion. During that period of time, I felt about Nixon, the same way that you feel towards George W. Bush, I despised him, but I have also seen in retrospect that he is considered to have been a pretty good President. That is one reason that I try not to be too quick to judge Bush's motives.

Now, what are your feelings about this:

Australia's handling of East Timor is one of the most shameful episodes of Australian foreign policy. Until last year, when the Australian Government finally sent a peace keeping force to a nation devastated by the pro-Indonesian militia, successive federal governments have turned a blind eye to Indonesia's often brutal efforts to subdue the rebellious East Timorese.

The Liberal Goverment handled things poorly and there were cover ups, nothing unusual in that they are well known for treating the Aussie public like mushrooms. :D

Little jonnie, lexie downer and all the rest of those right wing pricks need to be taken to the nearest tree and strung up :D

Thank god we will have an honest Labour goverment coming :D

Look out jonnie, Latham is gonna kick arse, the people of Queensland just gave you the message big time :o

sorry just got a little bit off topic :D

My feeling are, that if indeed these allegations are true (and I have no idea if they are) that it is possible that Nixon had good reason for OKing the invasion. During that period of time, I felt about Nixon, the same way that you feel towards George W. Bush, I despised him, but I have also seen in retrospect that he is considered to have been a pretty good President. That is one reason that I try not to be too quick to judge Bush's motives.

Now, what are your feelings about this:

It seems, Bronco has got in before me - That is the difference Georgie, I (and obviously Bronco), do not have unwavering support for idiot governments - If labour gets in, we will all be better off. .

Technically when Australia Invaded East Timor, it was waging war, which is a crime, and the sponsors of such activities can get a free trip to the Hague to stand trial as a War Criminal.
Australia never invaded East Timor. Australian troops went there as part of a UN force after the referendum to help protect the Timorese from pro-Indonesian militia plus the regular Indonesian army.

Australia did not protest forcefully enough against the Indonesian invasion. They could have done more for the Timorese by looking for more support in the UN for sanctions and other measures against the invader. That said, it's hard for a country with a small population to counter aggression by such a large neighbouring country, especially when the US administration had given Indonesia its blessing.

If this is correct:

Australia's handling of East Timor is one of the most shameful episodes of Australian foreign policy.

then how much more shameful is this:

President Gerald R. Ford and Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger gave Indonesian President Suharto the go-ahead for Indonesia's 1975 invasion of East Timor that left at least 200,000 dead, newly declassified documents show.

"We will understand and will not press you on the issue," Ford said, according to the telegram, which was declassified in June and posted on the Web site of the National Security Archive at George Washington University. "We understand the problem you have and the intentions you have."

and this:
Ever since the Indonesian invasion of East Timor in 1975, the U.S. government has sought to back Jakarta while keeping news of the atrocities there out of the public eye.

Whose dirty little secret is all of the above?

Georgie-Porgie~

Much like yourself, I despised Nixon. I have come to respect some of what he tried to do. But I still despise him. He was basically a thug. He shamed the office he held and it was too bad he never was sent to prison where he deserved to be. That would have been a much better lesson to successive presidents than letting him resign and then pardon him.

I disliked Regan but have come to give him his grudging due for taking the Soviet Union to the point it collapsed. Most people don't think about that much, but if they had lived under a Soviet dominated state as a number of my coworkers have, they would.

Bush, well, he looked better than any of the Clinton crowd to me, including Gore. Of course I have tried to watch him on TV but usually become to uncomfortable (embarassed) when he muddles his thoughts/sentences and seems to be on the edge of saying something really foolish. Kind of like watching a very sedated version of the Jerry Spring Show. But embarassing I can deal with. Not every President has been the cutting edge of wit and erudition. The WMD issue is going to be something that will ultimately make or break Bush. He may get back in office, but I think there is a good chance he won't.

Jeepz

Look out jonnie, Latham is gonna kick arse, the people of Queensland just gave you the message big time :o

sorry just got a little bit off topic :D

It was a great result Saturday....but it buggered my retirement to Thailand for another 3 years....We've ended up with about 61 seats again including mine on the Gold Coast ...The cane farmers up north took a couple off us on Saturday and Bonsai Howard did the dirty on them today with the so-called trade agreement with the U.S.

Georgie-Porgie~

Much like yourself, I despised Nixon.  I have come to respect some of what he tried to do.  But I still despise him.  He was basically a thug.  He shamed the office he held and it was too bad he never was sent to prison where he deserved to be.  That would have been a much better lesson to successive presidents than letting him resign and then pardon him.

I disliked Regan but have come to give him his grudging due for taking the Soviet Union to the point it collapsed.  Most people don't think about that much, but if they had lived under a Soviet dominated state as a number of my coworkers have, they would.

Bush, well, he looked better than any of the Clinton crowd to me, including Gore.  Of course I have tried to watch him on TV but usually become to uncomfortable (embarrassed) when he muddles his thoughts/sentences and seems to be on the edge of saying something really foolish.  Kind of like watching a very sedated version of the Jerry Spring Show.  But embarrassing I can deal with.  Not every President has been the cutting edge of wit and erudition.  The WMD issue is going to be something that will ultimately make or break Bush.  He may get back in office, but I think there is a good chance he won't. 

Jeepz

As I said, I despised Nixon, but as an adult I realized that it was largely because everyone else that I knew did. Same as Johnson. Same as Reagon. Same as the left do now with Bush.

That's why I look down on them, the arrogant lefties. They never grew up. It seems to me that as adults they would have woken up sometime and realized that they had never really been that clever. They had never really been that right. They just had fashion on their side.

They never did though, wake up.

I didn't like Bush before he was elected, and I didn't like him afterwards. I felt kind of sick to my stomach actually. I mean he was only elected because of his father, however, after 9/11, I watched how he handled himself. I got the sense that he knew that he was a small man who had gotten "lucky", but he wasn't so lucky any more. He had the fate of the World on his hands and he didn't want it, but it was too late; He had no choice. It was his fate.

So he kept praying to his God, maybe for the first time ever, to help him not to be a small man any more. He wanted to save us. He wanted to be great.

I remember when he announced that the war in Iraq had started. He looked scared to death. He looked like, What the he11 have I done?

I liked that. I liked that he actually realized that what he was doing could destroy all of us;That he gave a sh1t about us; That he wanted to do the right thing.

He wasn't like other politicians. He wasn't like Kennedy. He wasn't like one of these guys who knew that everything that he touched would turn to gold, that he could never lose. Colonel Kilgore in Apocalypse Now.

He was scared sh1tless.

A little man, doing the best he could with what he had.

I'm not sure, but I think that, despite all the left-wing jeers and rheteric, this laughable, nervous little man, might end up as one of the few heroes that we've had for a long time.

Bronco;

The Liberal Goverment handled things poorly and there were cover ups, nothing unusual in that they are well known for treating the Aussie public like mushrooms. 

Little jonnie, lexie downer and all the rest of those right wing pricks need to be taken to the nearest tree and strung up 

Thank god we will have an honest Labour goverment coming 

Look out jonnie, Latham is gonna kick arse, the people of Queensland just gave you the message big time 

sorry just got a little bit off topic 

They (lib - lab) are both dirty Aรร h0ไes, spend a few dayes on the "Desk" and you will see. some of the identities of both parties make me want to vomit. I will give ou two examples.....

1. William XXXXX (Lib PM after Gorton but before Howard) was a homosexual who had a facination with certain demoraphics in society that would now get himself deported.

2. Certain Defence minister - a senaton not a member from the house of Reps (about 15 years ago) was labelled from the "insiders" as Mr FDS, and that was not Federal Defence Secretary with deferance to the US, it was simply Fat Drunk and Stupid.......

My answer - Don't vote the reason for compulsary voting is simple - each political party in Australia gets paid for every vote....... They all have jobs for life

Georgie-Porgie~

I agree with you about Bush and how he responded to the 9/11 attacks. I thought he stepped up to the plate in a very direct and forceful way. I don't think Gore could have and I thank the stars it wasn't Clinton in office when it happened. He would have just thought that Monica swallowed.

We will have to agree to disagree on Nixon. Nothing he did in during his presidency, some of which was very commendable, atones for the damage he did to the presidency.

I am not as anti-leftish as you. I sort of pick and choose as I go along, having personal interests (self-interest) in both sides of the fence. Of course, this occasionally means I end up hoisting myself on my own petard. Oh well, that is the price of ambigious motives facing a dichotomy of choices.

Jeepz :o