Govt Warns Scammers As Thailand Is Named Top Destination

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to mention Hua Hin has no fun, its a shytehole with a very average beach. It has inflated prices because of the weekend expats coming down from BKK. I couldnt think of a worse place to reside in Thailand

No fun, I suppose if one is into brothels, hooker bars packed with ugly crones or impoverished boys and other depravity. I can get some action without having to pay someone, ok?

I bet most TVFers can do the same too.

The beach is much better than what one gets in Patong. I did not see any raw sewage floating in the water like I have seen in patong. The prices are still much less than on Phuket.

Ok, so some weekend expats come down from BKK. Good. However, I will gladly take them over the low class jet star junketeers. I had a walk on the beach today. Not one topless lady. I can't walk more than a few meters on patong beach without seeing someone with floppy boobs nearly dragging in the sand, or some fat guy stuffed into a thong with his gut overflowing and his thong shoved up his butt crack. And I haven't seen one really fat person here. There are literally thousands of tourists on the beach, but they are spread out.

There's probably corruption here, but at least the BiB are not standing at the corner shaking down the drivers. I am paying 40 baht for a tuk tuk ride that costs me 200 baht in patong.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I keep reading in TV about English yobs and English hooligans, honestly, you would think it was only England that had yobs. Has any Thaivisa posters ever been in the West of Scotland around the 12th July every year? You will see more yobs taking part and following Orange walks, causing drunken disturbances all over the place, because of their hatred of Roman Catholics, than you will see anywhere in England, or among any English people abroad, and may I point out I am Scottish and not a Roman Catholic.

Scotland does not promote the area you describe as a destination for tourists.

I could understand your point if there was an Amazing Scotland state sponsored advertising campaign presenting the region you describe as a relaxing holiday destination that was safe for families etc. but there is not, is there?

I am only pointing out that the yobs are not all English. Anyway, is there anywhere in Thailand that has been described as safe for families etc. the roads maybe?

Pattaya, Phuket, Patpong have 4 things in common - budget price prostitutes, drug pushers, gun violence and road rage. Institutionalised corruption means the govt (local & central), police force, judiciary are all unlikely to want to change this downward spiral. Tourists must vote with their feet and go elsewhere given sooo many other safer, healthier choices on offer. A sharp drop in tourist numbers will have the impact of driving a lot of scum (from Phuket, Pattaya, Patpong) back to villages and 'Get Real' everyday lifestyles. Empty words from govt, police & judges should never be relied on. After all Thailand is very much a third world mindset.

• Like 1

Now in Hua Hin. What a wonderful change from Patong because;

- No touts

- Reasonable taxii/limousine & tuktuk access

- No price gouging

- No filth (both human and garbage)

- No Bib standing on the corner looking for Tea money

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

You forgot to mention Hua Hin has no fun, its a shytehole with a very average beach. It has inflated prices because of the weekend expats coming down from BKK. I couldnt think of a worse place to reside in Thailand

Jezzzz great I'm relocating there next year ...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Don't worry, Hua Hin is fine if you're looking for a relatively relaxed place with some nice beaches in the area. Just one note of caution choose your Western friends & acquaintances carefully.

Pattaya, Phuket, Patpong have 4 things in common - budget price prostitutes, drug pushers, gun violence and road rage. Institutionalised corruption means the govt (local & central), police force, judiciary are all unlikely to want to change this downward spiral. Tourists must vote with their feet and go elsewhere given sooo many other safer, healthier choices on offer. A sharp drop in tourist numbers will have the impact of driving a lot of scum (from Phuket, Pattaya, Patpong) back to villages and 'Get Real' everyday lifestyles. Empty words from govt, police & judges should never be relied on. After all Thailand is very much a third world mindset.

Having just 2 embassies getting together and raising concerns about the scams will have very little impact on the Thai Government. They will throw a little fairy dust on the ambassadors and tell them everything will be ok but nothing will be done. If all the embassies banded together and voiced concerns and it was in the press in every country (not just aust) then Thailand may stand up and actually do something. Just two people complaining the Thai response would be yea yea we will look into next year or the year after.

- No touts

- No price gouging

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

I could not have said this better. Thank you for bringing some basic common sense to this.
  • Like 1

- No touts

- No price gouging

Jezzzz great I'm relocating there next year ...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Don't worry, Hua Hin is fine if you're looking for a relatively relaxed place with some nice beaches in the area. Just one note of caution choose your Western friends & acquaintances carefully.

Well, I think one can apply this lovely truism in a multitude of situation and place, not limited to Thailand and Hua Hin, wouldn't you say?
  • Like 1

The government can quickly cut back on the majority of scammers by eliminating tuktuks. Those people are the biggest crooks in Thailand (Chiang Mai anyway), taking tourists for a ride at exorbitant prices. Not only that, they are far too noisy and their exhaust is obnoxious. And this is not to mention their rotten driving habits and attempting to take money from farang drivers under the pretense of being hit/damaged. This occurred to me last week and I stood my ground and demanded the police who eventually arrived and dismissed the event in 5 minutes. But then the tuktuk followed me and not wanting to drive near my home, stopped at a 7/11 and when I came out he attempted to start a fight which I quickly dispatched.

I even inquired with two local rodang owners I've known for years & they said the tuktuk drivers are usually high shortly after dark and are to be avoided. The quicker tuktuks can be eliminated the better off tourists will be!! All English language newspapers & magazins/pamphlets should publish a warning with decent fares sponsored by the govt if necessary.

The government can quickly cut back on the majority of scammers by eliminating tuktuks. Those people are the biggest crooks in Thailand (Chiang Mai anyway), taking tourists for a ride at exorbitant prices. Not only that, they are far too noisy and their exhaust is obnoxious. And this is not to mention their rotten driving habits and attempting to take money from farang drivers under the pretense of being hit/damaged. This occurred to me last week and I stood my ground and demanded the police who eventually arrived and dismissed the event in 5 minutes. But then the tuktuk followed me and not wanting to drive near my home, stopped at a 7/11 and when I came out he attempted to start a fight which I quickly dispatched.

I even inquired with two local rodang owners I've known for years & they said the tuktuk drivers are usually high shortly after dark and are to be avoided. The quicker tuktuks can be eliminated the better off tourists will be!! All English language newspapers & magazins/pamphlets should publish a warning with decent fares sponsored by the govt if necessary.

I have used the tuk tuks many times in Chiangmai and never had a problem at all. 80 baht from Kad Suan Kaew to Airport plaza. 300 baht from the gate to Sansai at night can't complain. 18 kms

Edited by chooka

Well, I think one can apply this lovely truism in a multitude of situation and place, not limited to Thailand and Hua Hin, wouldn't you say?

Sure, but unfortunately Thailand attracts quite a few less than desirable Westerners who cause problems for the unaware. Tenancy to trust your "own kind" in a foreign country

Inflammatory and off topic posts and replies have been removed. Posts containing links to other forums have been removed.

A post containing a link to Andrew Drummond has been removed. Please understand Thai Visa is not employed as a tool to obtain information for Andrew Drummond nor do we use information from his site.

Not in Thailand. Insurance is controlled by the same oligarchy that controls other financial services and large investments.

Foreign firms have to place their primary coverage through Thai carriers and can then purchase reinsurance or excess coverages for catastrophic risks. BTW, most Thai property. coverages are very basic.

Not gonna argue on mechanism, my point was: scammers could get money from Insurance as well if they know the broker..

Saw it first hand myself, "un-claimable claim been fully repaid"....

Govt warns scammers as Thailand is named top destination

Pot , kettle, black

Presumably this current maladministration is a the top of the warning list, the multitude of scams being operated by this current maladministration is incredible

Wasn't Chalerm supposed to have promised an end to tourist scams within 3 Months? :lol:

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Indeed you are correct ggold, however the reaction to his ear medicine seems to have made Chalerm somewhat absent minded as to the scam problems.and his resolve to end them in three months.

• Like 1

I love these so-called Thailand experts. Been here 2 maybe 3 years assume they are an authority on the place (most likely never seen a rice paddy), yet to leave the tourist areas and vacate their morning t'ill night bar stools, talking the same crap everyday, and still wondering why they get beaten at "4-in a-row" by some dumb h*oker (B'G). Never been further than the local 7-11 for their cheap grog. I say if you wish to comment/criticize the place GO VISIT the place first. There is more to Thailand than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya!!! Get a real Thai life.

Ah the newbie knowall. I think you'll find a good selection of Farangs on TV that actually keep abreast of what is happening in Thailand and the cynicism is well justified by the quality of the government (& Phuket governor) and the corruption that they are involved in. The Op is a collection of empty words that we have heard time & time again.

Most long-stay Farangs know all about the scams & how to avoid them. First-time tourists probably don't. Some of the scams are so bad & prevalent that ambassadors have had to try & prompt some action. This is a fairly new activity but the reaction so far has been only rhetoric - like the article here.

By the way, I've lived here for 16 years & have visited most major towns & cities as well as the countryside. What about you?

32 years

I love these so-called Thailand experts. Been here 2 maybe 3 years assume they are an authority on the place (most likely never seen a rice paddy), yet to leave the tourist areas and vacate their morning t'ill night bar stools, talking the same crap everyday, and still wondering why they get beaten at "4-in a-row" by some dumb h*oker (B'G). Never been further than the local 7-11 for their cheap grog. I say if you wish to comment/criticize the place GO VISIT the place first. There is more to Thailand than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya!!! Get a real Thai life.

So how long have you been here and how many places have you visited oh wise one ?...and which school do you teach at ?

I can assure you the rosy tinted spectacles do eventually come off eventually for all the apologists...wink.png

Every Cangwat except one particular Cangwat in Isaan. Not a school teacher.

Ah the newbie knowall. I think you'll find a good selection of Farangs on TV that actually keep abreast of what is happening in Thailand and the cynicism is well justified by the quality of the government (& Phuket governor) and the corruption that they are involved in. The Op is a collection of empty words that we have heard time & time again.

Most long-stay Farangs know all about the scams & how to avoid them. First-time tourists probably don't. Some of the scams are so bad & prevalent that ambassadors have had to try & prompt some action. This is a fairly new activity but the reaction so far has been only rhetoric - like the article here.

By the way, I've lived here for 16 years & have visited most major towns & cities as well as the countryside. What about you?

32 years

Every Cangwat except one in Isaan

One can be confident that this Warning has absolutely NO TEETH IN IT.

I am suprised the U.S. Embassy hasn't joined in with the Aussie and UK Embassies with this type of warning as well..

Pehaps they aleady have...but usually the THAIVISA is pretty good about these messages from the Embassies. coffee1.gif

However, unless they remove the crooked police that are in cahoots from the picture, nothing with happen.coffee1.gif

Far too busy making childish videos and charging twenty bucks per notarization.

Wow! Has the fee gone down that much? A few years ago, I paid US$55.00 to have a simple form notarized. Twice -- once to get my driver's license and again to register my vehicle. Felt like the Thai gov't office and the U.S. Embassy had conspired to rip me off.

One can be confident that this Warning has absolutely NO TEETH IN IT.

I am suprised the U.S. Embassy hasn't joined in with the Aussie and UK Embassies with this type of warning as well..

Pehaps they aleady have...but usually the THAIVISA is pretty good about these messages from the Embassies. coffee1.gif

However, unless they remove the crooked police that are in cahoots from the picture, nothing with happen.coffee1.gif

THey already have. Quite a bit of good advice on the US State Departments website. Trouble is nobody bothers to read it.

Serious crimes involving taxis or "tuk-tuks" (three-wheeled taxis) are relatively rare. However, every year foreign passengers are involved in taxi-related incidents in Thailand. You should not hesitate to ask to be let out of a taxi immediately if the driver is acting suspiciously or driving erratically. Drivers often attempt to charge excessive fares. If possible, require the driver to use the meter. Police will seldom intervene in incidents involving taxi drivers. In Phuket, threats of violence may accompany excessive charges. Tuk-tuk and taxi drivers there have been described in media reports as being a “mafia.” They have organized against attempts to provide alternative services. For instance, they have blockaded van and bus services during U.S. Navy ship visits. (See also the Special Circumstances and Safety and Road Conditions sections.)

When arriving at a Thai airport, you should use only taxis from the airport's official taxi stand, cars from the airport limousine counters, or airport buses. Major hotels also arrange to have a car and driver meet incoming flights. It is uncommon for Thai taxis to pick up additional passengers. You should be wary of drivers seeking to do so, and you should never enter a cab that has someone besides the driver in it.

Scams involving gems, city tours, entertainment venues, and credit cards are common, especially in areas heavily visited by tourists. Taxi drivers and others commonly tout gem stores or entertainment venues. These touts receive kickbacks or commissions that drive up the prices of the goods or services, and you should not accept tours or other offers from them. You should use credit cards only in reputable, established businesses, and you should check the amount you have been charged for accuracy.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) receives over a thousand complaints each year from visitors who have been cheated on gem purchases. Scams usually follow a predictable pattern. Someone approaches you outside of a well-known tourist attraction such as the Grand Palace and says that the attraction is closed. The friendly stranger gains your confidence and suggests a visit to a temple that is supposedly open only one day per year; the stranger then mentions in passing that a special once-a-year government-sponsored gem sale is going on and directs you to a waiting tuk-tuk. At the temple, another stranger -- sometimes a foreigner-- engages you in conversation and also mentions the "special" gem sale. You agree to go look at the gem shop and are soon convinced to buy thousands of dollars worth of jewels that you can supposedly sell in the United States for a 100 percent profit. In fact, the gems turn out to be of much less value than you paid for them, and the shop does not honor its money-back guarantee. No matter what a tout may say, no jewelry stores are owned, operated, or sponsored by the Thai government or by the Thai royal family. You can find the list of gem dealers who have promised to abide by TAT guidelines online at theBuying Gems and Jewellery in Thailand section of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's website.You can find detailed information on gem scams on numerous websites. If you fall victim to a gem scam, you should contact the local branch of the Tourist Police or call their toll-free number: 1155.

Although most bars and entertainment venues operate honestly, some, especially in tourist areas such as Bangkok’s Patpong area, try to charge exorbitant prices for drinks or unadvertised cover charges and then threaten violence if the charges are not paid. If you are victimized in this fashion, you should not attempt to resolve the problem yourself but should instead pay the price demanded and then seek out a nearby Tourist Police officer for help in getting restitution. If no officer is nearby, you can phone the Tourist Police at 1155.

There have been occasional reports of prostitutes or bar workers drugging people with the powerful sedative scopolamine in order to rob them. Tourists have also been victimized by drugged food and drink, usually offered by a friendly stranger who is sometimes posing as a fellow traveler on an overnight bus or train. In addition, casual acquaintances you meet in a bar or on the street may pose a threat. You should not leave drinks or food unattended and should avoid going alone to unfamiliar venues.

Criminals have victimized some foreigners by presenting themselves as police, sometimes wearing police uniforms. After a conspirator lures the foreigner into doing something illegal, the “police officer” appears and threatens to arrest the foreigner unless he or she pays a “bribe” -- which the conspirator helps to negotiate. To protect yourself from such scams, do not engage in activities that would put you in a vulnerable position, such as soliciting sex or purchasing or using illegal drugs. If someone claiming to be a police officer demands money from you, request to pay at the police station.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1040.html#special_circumstance

Maybe if more countries ambassadors spoke out a bit louder then some more might get done.

We have heard from the Russians, The Australians and the British. How about the others getting a bit more vocal too.

Like the Nigerians you mean?

• Like 1