Booze Ban Loosened In National Parks: Thailand

webfact

NATIONAL PARKS

Booze ban loosened in parks

The Nation

30196865-01_big.jpg

Alcohol still prohibited in camp grounds

BANGKOK: -- As Thais flocks to national parks to celebrate New Year's, the ban on alcohol has been partially lifted, allowing visitors to imbibe only at park lodges. However, booze is still prohibited in the campgrounds, the park chief said yesterday.

Manopat Huamuangkaew, acting director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department (DNP), said the alcohol ban in campgrounds is to prevent loud parties and fighting.

The ban was announced by Suwit Khunkitti, the former Natural Resource and Environment minister, and followed the fatal stabbing of an engineering student during a party at Khao Yai National Park in December 2010. Violators face up to one month in jail as well as a Bt1,000 fine.

'No alcoholic beverages'

Somphong Jirararuensak, director of Protected Area Regional Office 11, said the parks under his supervision, including Thung Salaeng Luang, Phu Thab Berk and Khao Kho, would not be selling alcoholic beverages. However, visitors may bring drinks to their accommodation at park lodges and must not disturb other visitors.

Manopet urged tourists to call the DNP's 1362 hotline to check on accommodations. Lodges and camping areas are fully booked for the New Year at Khao Yai, Phu Ruea, Phu Kradueng and Doi Inthanon.

He also announced a ban on big motorcycles around Khao Yai, citing problems with noise, speeding and wildlife being run over.

Park visitors are urged not to use cooking stoves for heat inside their tents, which kill many campers each year, Manopat said.

Parks will also establish service centres in risky areas to provide assistance and security to tourists and their valuable belongings. The service centres can also contact police and rescue workers for help in emergency cases.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-27

Wow, what a concession. Would the DNP prefer people go to sleep at 10pm, or how about just ban people altogether! To stop groups partying, you target the young-uns, mouthbreathers & obvious troublemakers bringing in crates and boomboxes at the entrance as opposed to screwing it for most visitors (Thai and farang alike) who simply want to have a beer and relax in nice surroundings after working their ass off. What happened to a free Thailand?

• Like 2

I don't know if you have been to a Thai National Park but the difference since the alcohol ban is marked.

Previously, you might have 40 tents at a campground, comprising of 150 people. One group would always get smashed all night. It would usually be a large group of 10 or so. Unfortunately, staying up all night being very pissed and singing loudly is a Thai sub-culture and by banning alcohol, this sub-culture went elsewhere. I hope the slight relaxation of the ban does not lead back to the bad old days.

• Like 1

Wow, what a concession. Would the DNP prefer people go to sleep at 10pm, or how about just ban people altogether! To stop groups partying, you target the young-uns, mouthbreathers & obvious troublemakers bringing in crates and boomboxes at the entrance as opposed to screwing it for most visitors (Thai and farang alike) who simply want to have a beer and relax in nice surroundings after working their ass off. What happened to a free Thailand?

What happened to WHAT????clap2.gif

Thailand is free, to the Thai people, don't believe me? Driving on a highway, they use any lane they want, go any speed they want, ride their motorbike on the sidewalk and never mind the pedestrains, let their ten year old children ride motorbikes in front of the BIB, they regularly drive on the wrong side of the road. If that is not being free, then I don't know what is.

Hmm, I'm guessing the lodges are the more expensive option and preferred by the more wealthy camper. Hence the partial relaxation. Peasants camping have less money/influence so still banned.

Have you seen how much money they spend on their tents and associated camping gadgets? In Mega Bangna there are several camping stores and the gear they sell is far from cheap.

Until I saw this article I was a bit confused as to who the intended customers of these shops might be. Now I get it, but still quite surprised camping is popular.

Hmm, I'm guessing the lodges are the more expensive option and preferred by the more wealthy camper. Hence the partial relaxation. Peasants camping have less money/influence so still banned.

Have you seen how much money they spend on their tents and associated camping gadgets? In Mega Bangna there are several camping stores and the gear they sell is far from cheap.

Until I saw this article I was a bit confused as to who the intended customers of these shops might be. Now I get it, but still quite surprised camping is popular.

Tents with built in karaoke machine don't come cheap wink.png

Thailand is free, to the Thai people, don't believe me? Driving on a highway, they use any lane they want, go any speed they want, ride their motorbike on the sidewalk and never mind the pedestrains, let their ten year old children ride motorbikes in front of the BIB, they regularly drive on the wrong side of the road. If that is not being free, then I don't know what is.

Yes, great isn't it.........!!!

• Like 1

You do not camp in a lodge, you camp in tents. Maybe the wealthy and I have different ideas on what is camping. Mine isn't with nice crisp clean sheets, a buffet breakfast and having the maid lay out my suit every morning. I am not a peasant but when I go camping I like to pitch a tent.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1