Can Anyone Identify This Snake? (Kamala, Phuket)

buzzer

Hi,

When I went down to the ground floor (my house is on stilts) I saw this today. Neither the cat nor the other critter were doing much - just sitting there. This is several minutes after I first saw them - I had my phone in my room, and had to get it. Before that I watched them to figure out if the snake was alive. After 1 or 2 minutes I knew that it was.

I didn't know if the cat had attacked it or vice versa. I think that neither was the answer. I didn't get too close, because I could see the snake move slowly, and the cat shifted positions a couple times. I called the landlord who got it moving with some PVC pipe. When it did move it was quick. The cat is 1 of the 2 feral cats that live here so it didn't stay around when the landlord moved in. I thought the landlord could tell me what kind of snake it was. He's Thai and has lived in the area over 40 years, but wasn't familiar with it. I still don't know whether it's poisonous, but suspect so. It did raise up a bit and hiss at him before making a hasty retreat into the field next door. It was about 5-6 ft long black & white turning to maroon and white halfway down. Too bad! I would have loved to keep it as a pet!smile.png

Thanks,

Buzzer

post-22899-0-05672200-1356617503_thumb.j

post-22899-0-30965300-1356617558_thumb.j

Thank you, Goshawk, I was thinking the same thing, but I don't have a photo of one as a reference. I like snakes and had them as pets when I was a child. I identified a Golden tree snake for a woman tonight who had one in her second story apartment. She was worried that it might have been poisonous.

Hi,

Sorry, but I looked at all the links, and looked at pictures of the Copperhead Racer. I don't see anything that looks quite the same. I'll work on this tomorrow, There's a site that seems perfect, plus I'll do a post on the other TV site mentioned above.

Thanks,

Buzzer

Thank you, Goshawk, I was thinking the same thing, but I don't have a photo of one as a reference. .

most snake shows in Thailand use this species too along with the cobras.. it's a huge crowd pleaser with it's lightning fast strikes. (many examples on youtube)

Hi,

Sorry, but I looked at all the links, and looked at pictures of the Copperhead Racer. I don't see anything that looks quite the same. I'll work on this tomorrow, There's a site that seems perfect, plus I'll do a post on the other TV site mentioned above.

Thanks,

Buzzer

Understand that there are different colour phases for the same snake. Like most wild critters, snakes adapt to the terrain they live in and will change colour which allows them to blend in. Most snakes just want to be left alone and won't attack unless provoked. I remember seeing a snake show in the Krabi area and they used copperhead racers like Goshawk mentioned. The snakes had thicker forebodies and a change in colour pattern from front to back. They also flattened their forebodies from side to side rather than top to bottom like Cobra's flatten their head when aroused.

You could always buy the best reference book in Thailand..."Snakes and other reptiles in Thailand..." a photographic guide etc. from Asia books! I'm not an agent, it's just a book we use every day up here in the north. It's good value at B450. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

I'll keep in mind the book.

I got a reply today from Vern at Thailandsnakes.com. With the videos there it is quite clear that it was a Copperhead Runner, Vern said mine was especially colorful. Wish I'd known it wasn't a great danger, and had my camera set to a higher exposure. It was quite impressive.

Prior to that I showed several people in the emergency ward at BKK hospital Phuket the pics. Again, none of them had seen one before, in spite of the fact that Vern said it was quite common. BKK hospital nonsensically said they send snake bite victims to BKK. This puts Bkk Phuket at the bottom of the list in the case of being bitten by a venomous variety.

Feistly little guys with a quick strike - a large one can strike at a meter's distance. However, they aren't a venomous variety. Pretty quck when motivated, but not above standing its ground and striking. I guess its speed can account for the fact that is isn't currently in my house as a pet, and also kept it off my dinner table. smile.png

Thanks all!

Buzzer

Goshawk is correct. Copperhead racer.

copperheaded-racer-snake-thailand.jpg

They will come at you if you’re bothering them, with a raised head – vertically inflated neck, and open mouth. They love to strike, and the big ones can reach over a meter when striking. If they can’t deter the aggressor they roll over and play dead with their tongue hanging out. If they can get away they are very fast snakes on the ground.

Edited by martindavies