Friend Wanted For Dwi In Us, Coming To Pattaya

johnwise

...the DWI was totally routine...what concerns me though is how quickly Thailand deports anyone that they discover is wanted...

The fact that you see it as "totally routine" and what concerns you is not what 'your friend' has done or what he may do next time (ie the very real possibility that he will kill or cripple someone) but rather the possibility 'your friend' would have to face consequences for his ugly crime...speaks volumes, no?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Driving While Intoxicated

Please put it in a language the UK members can understand "driving WHILST intoxicated"!

Surprising that UK members wouldn't understand an extremely common synonym for whilst - especially given that "whilst" is derived from the Old English "while". You folks need to brush up, I guess.

:)

Thanks for the feedback everyone smile.png

So the question here will be.... How badly do they want him back in the US?

Not badly at all...the DWI was totally routine...there was no accident, nobody got injured...so, I think the odds of Interpol being involved somehow is less than zero...what concerns me though is how quickly Thailand deports anyone that they discover is wanted...I've read about quite a few cases where a suspect was apprehended, and then the next day, was sent back to the US! No extradition hearing, nothing. Just bam! Back to the US. Of course, Thailand has to be aware in the first place an individual has a warrant, and without a Interpol red notice, I don't know how in the wild world of sports this would be possible...

From personal experience with DWI in Texas, there's absolutely no mitigating factors for a 3-and-up DWI offender. <deleted> is a 'routine' DWI?

Texas DUI Repeat Offenders

If you commit DWI in Texas three times or more, you will be charged with felony DWI.

A felony DUI in Texas entails a fine not to exceed $10,000. You may also be jailed for as little as two years and as long as 10 years. You will be required to perform 160 hour to 600 hours of community service.

In addition, your driver's license will be suspended for between 180 days and two years. The same annual fees that apply to second-time offenses apply to subsequent offenses.

If put on probation, you will have to install a special ignition switch that prevents you from driving drunk.

Unless your buddy is selling up, closing accounts and totally vacating and cutting all ties with the US, he can probably enjoy a few years with some degree of freedom in LOS. As mentioned before, as soon as he applies for a new passport, game over unless he wants to submerge into overstay.... or Cambodia.

I had a chat with my Houston lawyer buddy and he informs that 3rd DWI's once incarcerated, fare poorly on the parole ticket and current stats show them doing 87% of whatever sentence is passed. So the OP's friend can be looking at a minimum of 8.7 years if they throw the book at him. They are sometimes eligible for probation but the judge will normally rule on a minimum 180 days jail time, then medically supervised in-patient treatment and 5 year loss of DL.

Is there an outstanding warrant for your friend ? If not, then he should be ok .

In Texas, the 3rd DWI is usually a mandatory blood draw so I would assume that the OP's friend has been formally charged, already posted significant bail and is free pending appearing in court. The warrant will only be issued if he doesn't show in court or, after being sentenced, doesn't show up for pen time.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks for the feedback everyone smile.png

So the question here will be.... How badly do they want him back in the US?

Not badly at all...the DWI was totally routine...there was no accident, nobody got injured...so, I think the odds of Interpol being involved somehow is less than zero...what concerns me though is how quickly Thailand deports anyone that they discover is wanted...I've read about quite a few cases where a suspect was apprehended, and then the next day, was sent back to the US! No extradition hearing, nothing. Just bam! Back to the US. Of course, Thailand has to be aware in the first place an individual has a warrant, and without a Interpol red notice, I don't know how in the wild world of sports this would be possible...

Interpol..laugh.png ....extradition hearings....laugh.png ......if your friend goes in the run from the US and the BiB in the US know he is in Thailand....all they need to do is inform the Thai BiB that person XYZ passport number XYZ is wanted in the US and please detail him and we will come and get him....there will be no extradition hearing....

Could they put an interpol notice on him...?....of course, but an interpol notice doesnt have to be in place for someone to be arrested...

extradition hearings only come into play in situations such as the likes of Victor Bout....ie he was a Russian, living Thailand and wanted in the US...your friend is a US citizen on the run from the US living in Thailand...not the same...there is no "legal process" to be followed as such

As stated previously whether they get him or not is based purely on how badly the BiB want him back in the US....per other posters info...a felony DWI typically attracts jail time greater than 12 months...so this is an offense which is extraditable, under the basic rules of extradition....so the question is....will the BiB just wait for him to appear or will they actively persue him..?

Edited by Soutpeel

Being wanted he can be arrested and deported at any time. The only qustion is if he is on an international warrent list, but when his passport is expired he will find himself in trouble anyway.

I wonder if the statute of limitations will run out before he needs a new passport.

If he is on lam there is no statute of limitations....if he walks back in the US in 30 years time, they will still have him...wink.png

Correct, a felony DWI has a 7-year statute of limitations. However, by absconding, there will be no statute of limitations.

You say your friend "him/her". Surely you would know their sex??

Smell a rat. I think it is you!

So you say you or sorry, your friend will follow the Thai law to a t?

Why can't they follow their own law first?

Take the consequences and go back to your home country and serve your sentence.

Follow the law in Thai to the t!!!!! Best laugh I've had since I don't know when!!

Very good, his friend, mmmm....,

I imagine your "friend" might have trouble with immigration during one of their 90 day contacts with them if immigration got wind of the outstanding warrants. They should be more concerned what would happen in that eventuality given the number of snide folk who will share the information with immigration to gain favour.

• Like 1

With alcohol so widely used here in Thailand, I doubt that your "friend" would make it very long, before on the wagon again. Although here, you might be able to pay off the sentence, maybe you wont, and the "Hilton" is not as friendly as Texas jails. Besides the fact of other people getting killed or injured.

but remember the language is still called english not american or australian just english haha and if he/she cannot follow there own laws which are a lot more enforced than thai law there is no chance on earth with alcohol 24/7 /365 over here they will follow up with there said intentions put a kid in a sweet shop he will eat sweets ???.

Not sticking up for the guy, but this is a form or self deportation. Why would Texas spend tax payers money to fly him back, feed him,house him, and have him on highway again? You would think that they would be happy to get rid of him.

Not sticking up for the guy, but this is a form or self deportation. Why would Texas spend tax payers money to fly him back, feed him,house him, and have him on highway again? You would think that they would be happy to get rid of him.

Good point: our loss would be their gain.

He won't be driving legally over here unless his driver's license in the US is valid and has a motorcycle rating if he intends to use a scooter. He is likely to have major insurance liability issues if something should go wrong. Long stay presumes some sort of VISA that often requires a letter from his local police department stating no issues. If he is really wanted for DWI, then I am pretty sure there is already a bench warrant out on him. Those are low-level warrants, but they are automatically triggered if he gets stopped for anything and a routine database search is done.

He won't be driving legally over here unless his driver's license in the US is valid and has a motorcycle rating if he intends to use a scooter. He is likely to have major insurance liability issues if something should go wrong.

Do you think that a recidivist drunk driver is going to give a dam_n about that?

I'm just sorry that this loser is coming here rather than being banged-up in Texas where he belongs: I drive my car on the roads here and there are already far too many drunken drivers around for my taste. No need to import them.

Driving under the influence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_under_the_influence - Driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), drunken driving, drunk driving, drink driving, operating under the influence, drinking and ...

Edited by Chao Lao Beach