Hired Help

chenposeb

Hi,

hope I'm not going over old ground here, but I'm just trying to test the knowledge of forum users as per the etiquette of serving refreshments (not the alcoholic kind) to manual workers.

I was always brought up to take a care of those working for you, especially while they are working for you. (Guess that comes from always being self-employed and coming from a self-employed family)

My missus however seems quite horrified that I should go and offer anything like some refridgerated oranges or some cool drinks to our workers. Apparently it's not the done thing here?

Her main concern is that I will bring my 'farang' ways into thailand and before we know it every worker in thailand will be ordering a 3 course meal with every job they do (...I know, just thought it would amuse readers what her fears were).

So, before I go storming on up there with some cool drinks or some fruit was interested in what other people's experience of this is, and if it's going to be a wasted effort and I'm likely to find all the things I brought up there still lying where I left them the next day.

Best R,

Seb

With regards to farm labour, commonly expected in my area, and throughout Thailand based on the many posts in this forum mentioning expected refreshments. Can be a way of ensuring that available labourers will work for you rather than your neighbor. Keep a careful eye on the costs though.

Note: this applies only for labour on day rates, not workers on contracted rates (e.g. x amount of baht per kg). Contract labour look after themselves.

Rgds

Khonwan

I always give refreshments. This ensures at busy times of year people remember you and labor is easy to find. Whatever country I am in I tend do treat people the way I would like to be treated.

The only exemption to this would be not to head the way of compulsory tipping as done in the US!

I see no harm in a few softies and cold water available all the time.

• Like 1

I don't know the correct answer. What I do know is that my wife always provides their lunch and when the day is finished, she feeds them again and goes so far as to provide some alcoholic beverages. That's my wife's way. I would suggest that you listen to your wife and let her handle it.

Farm labor on a day rate we supply food and drink, maybe a coke now and then. Contract builders etc take care of their own food and I give them a few beers at the end of the job.

As I have said before, we can't get workers, so have to treat them well in the hope they will come back next time. Jim

It is normal to supply iced water for the workers.

You should stipulate whether you are going to supply food or not before they start working and before you agree the day rate.

Also, if you are going to supply food, make it clear that it will only be for people who work the full day.

You'd be surprised how many workers' kids or spouses can show up at chow time.

Never supply any alcohol, and especially not in the middle of the day.

• Like 2

Day labour gets water and ice supplied from our rainwater tank and ice chest at the house, they also get food, sticky rice,some kind of meat and various other Isan delicacies. Usually one person will knock off a half hour early at lunchtime to cook for everyone

When they come back to the house, food is available and a small bottle of lao khao for the guys.

There our regular workers so they know the routine

Ken

I don't know the correct answer. What I do know is that my wife always provides their lunch and when the day is finished, she feeds them again and goes so far as to provide some alcoholic beverages. That's my wife's way. I would suggest that you listen to your wife and let her handle it.

Relax guys, Gary takes the easy path and from personal experience IMHO, the correct way. Crashed and burned too often before.

Thanks for the input guys. I was kind of thinking along similar lines. I really have no intention of making waves and trying to change customs.

Just trying to be a good human being I know that if I was sweating my nuts off all day in the heat I'd be mighty grateful for the odd iced soft drink or some fruit, and thought others might feel the same.

Also, a lot of great input as you all seem to have covered some of the bases I hadn't really concidered such as difference between construction workers and regular farm labor, and also even using the meal times as part of the workers 'official package', so to speak.

I think the missus was mostly worried about it turning into a compulsory thing, like the tipping thing in the states and we being the culprits to blame.

thanks again for the feedback, as usual very useful :D

The real deciding factor other than is it contract help is the hired help part of the village extended family of the wife. If not let her lead the way, if its the former (god forbid) spring for the additional conforts, otherwise you may be blamed as a cheap charlie. Your wife will not, even if it is her idea.

Well ... what ever the wifie says rules ... don't rock the boat.

As for a Thai on Thai situation, I'm out on a Farm visiting the gf ... been here a while and considered part of the family.

The Farm Father harvested Prawns (Shrimp) yesterday and today.

It was a pre-dawn start and he provided to his blood and 'honorary' relatives who live on the surrounding Farms who come and assist at harvest time the choice of a 'Soy Milk' or a Thai Red Bull to start the morning.

Iced water in the cooler. Sometimes I buy a bottle of red cordial and crushed ice. I dont really like buying everybody a red bull or carabou at 10baht per bottle so I avoid that if I can. Up to them if they want that I say. Lunch is shared from what we have if family otherwise bring your own. Ie they will have nam prik and rice and we will share other more delectable stuff. If the icecream vendor comes around in the afternoon I will buy a 10 baht one for everybody. Lately I've noticed the guys selling the cheap icecreams dont come around so often and I cringe at supplying a 20 baht drumstick for everybody from the Nestle cart. If its just me and the missus cold water will suffice she will buy a coke from her SIL at lunchtime, I dont because I object to the idea of buying coke from her when her grandson comes to my house and takes what he likes from the fridge, yoghurt, milks etc. I will always go and buy any drink or treat myself as the young males who would get the job if I didn't, take hours and there are arguments about change, petrol etc. Sometimes, not always the women get to share a bottle of Spy or two at the end of the day, the blokes can have a small Lao Khao but if they have given me the shits during the day forget it. They seem happy with these arrangements which from what I have seen are better than most from workers point of view.

• Like 1

When it comes to supplying refreshments for workers, let the wife take care of it, she will always know what is required. As for the American way of tipping, I was reading a magazine about America prior to going on holiday there for a month, it said that you should take enough spending money with you so you can give 20% of it in tips. After reading that, I made it a point not to tip at all, I never gave one cent in tips the whole time I was there.