Proof That Even New Eco Cars Are Overpriced Here In Thailand.

thaicbr

Cars are expensive in Thailand - get used to it

I know that. BUT you would think that the much vaunted eco car program would be cheaper here in Thailand were it was devised or at least NOT such a huge difference. Wouldn't you?

Most of the difference is probably tax but it still takes the piss.

sent from my Q6

I know that. BUT you would think that the much vaunted eco car program would be cheaper here in Thailand were it was devised or at least NOT such a huge difference. Wouldn't you?

sent from my Q6

It's a bit better with the government rebate,but only for the first time Thai buyers...

sent from my Q6

It's a bit better with the government rebate,but only for the first time Thai buyers...

That's kinda what I was getting at in the Philippines it is 54k cheaper. Which is pretty much the Thai excise tax. Surely they have fairly big car taxes in the Philippines too. But I think they also have a more liberalized market as well. Any way still pisses me off :D

sent from my Q6

sent from my Q6

For me, this eco car drive program is a complete antithesis. Green washing at it's finest.

I fail to see what benefit to the environment is intended by immediately putting 1.2 million more cars on to the roads - the result of just a few Months of an ego credential materialistic 'incentive' drive. What's to follow ? More greed, and Ego over Eco, for sure.

Fair enough (sort of) if they were electric, or hydrogen fuel cell cars, or the incentive was offered to upgrade old vehicles to that genre - but they are all gas guzzlers at the end of the day. If they were completely environmentally friendly cars, with zero emissions, the complexity of the industrial manufacturing processes employed to get these vehicles on the road would take a long time to mitigate - adding in factors of spare parts, tyres, etc, as well as fuelling them by what ever means. As it is, this Year's push alone will mean 1.2 million new petrol burning cars, all emitting carbon, aswell as other nefarious substances, from conception to demise, and tied into a minimum 5 Year usage agreement, to redeem the promissory - 100,000 baht.

I will be interested to follow the government's plans for the forthcoming Years, before ASEAN opens up fully, and the markets become more realistic and balanced (cheaper). In the meantime, it seems the local markets will be flooded with more and more home produced / taxed products that are of a detriment to our global ecology. I have to ask - who is this a real incentive for, at the end of the day ? Our Planet Earth ? The big car manufacturers, due to the flooding, and their subsequent threats to leave, and those others reaping the tax rewards perhaps ? I think the numbers have been crunched already, and the cost of the 'refund' if it ever comes to fruition, will represent a drop in the ocean to the overall numbers coming in, in duties. If this government doesn't get re-elected, will the burden / onus be on the next ?

Just on this one small push - 1.2 million cars, a high percentage probably on finance, all tied in to contracts, and guaranteed using petrol for the next five Years, spares, rubber, oil - and therefore subject to various taxes and levies imposed which are usually subject to increases, and fuelling the economy to some degree. Big numbers when you go long. I doubt any one of the definate percentage reneging on the purchase agreement will get the refund - seems like a win-win to me, for certain people and the capitalist / industrial mechanism, both preying on media mindset - at the cost and loss of the very thing we should be / they say they are trying to protect.

I think these consumer products that everyone wants cheaper and cheaper all the time, will work out to be of considerable expense at / in the end.

• Like 1

Well put Ackybang, I agree with you that the government's policy is incoherent. The new emissions-based taxation system is utter nonsense; by not excepting electric vehicles, the lowest tax band of under 100gCO2/km means that EVs will face the same 10% levy as hybrids. Clearly the government just wants to raise revenue, and I agree with your point that the revenue-refund money is insignificant by comparison. One possible answer to the 'hidden interests' you were referring to lies in the growth projections of debt-management companies for next year. Up to a fifth of buyers under this first-car scheme are projected to default within a year, thus losing their rebate in the process. It's a win-win situation for the government and the banks.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see more Thais driving 'cleaner' cars - it's a huge shift in consumer behaviour when you compare it to just five years ago when people needlessly bought pickups just for their daily commute. The scheme has been a success from the perspective that it's changed consumer habits; if that continues it will be the only positive legacy of the scheme.

sent from my Q6

That's kinda what I was getting at in the Philippines it is 54k cheaper. Which is pretty much the Thai excise tax. Surely they have fairly big car taxes in the Philippines too. But I think they also have a more liberalized market as well. Any way still pisses me off biggrin.png

sent from my Q6

They must have a tax, so that means our cars have inflated prices? The tax is only...what, 12% already? ..I'm aware that motor aftermarket parts are quite expensive over there, so this mirage price is very surprising.

In the first post "CRAZY". I think i will cry every night, or even commit suicide. I bought my daughter a nissan march in Singapore for $116000 Singapore dollars (2.9 Million baht) only to be driven for 10 years. Don,t compare to other country pricing. You had been enjoying super dirt cheap car in farang land. Just for your information only.

Looked a few months ago when the Chevy Sonic arrived on the forecourts......... UK price was about the same for the LT but came with 10 airbages !!

More resent is the Hot hatch RS petrol turbo and the diesel turbo,1.3 VCDi, both at under 700k, all these Daewoo's appear to have 10 airbags, [this is list price, always deals to be had] difficult to impossible to find a reasonable priced hot. warm hatch here

Daewoo should that read Chevrolet ? Cheap Labour cost in Asia/Thailand ? so one would expect them being Thai built to be cheaper here ? same price ? or more expensive ?

As for ECO cars here, there cheap if your Thai and it is your 1st car [eco car rebate]

otherwise buy with a proper sized engine for 20k or so more

Edited by ignis

Electric cars will not become mainstream until there is a country wide network of recharging stations to fuel them. That won't happen anytime soon. So get used to driving diesel or petrol powered cars for the next 15 to 20 years at least.

But you can convert your petrol car to run on LPG if your not a fan of petrol.

Cars aren't overpriced in Thailand at all... they're over taxed. No way a Thai dealer principle nor sales rep makes anywhere near the profit/commission of their Western counterparts.

First post of any real sense!

It's all relative - tax the bigger ticket items higher as most Thai's that buy them pay very little in the way of income tax. The powers that be need to collect taxes - how they spend them is another topic all together

Looked a few months ago when the Chevy Sonic arrived on the forecourts......... UK price was about the same for the LT but came with 10 airbages !!

More resent is the Hot hatch RS petrol turbo and the diesel turbo,1.3 VCDi, both at under 700k, all these Daewoo's appear to have 10 airbags, [this is list price, always deals to be had] difficult to impossible to find a reasonable priced hot. warm hatch here

Daewoo should that read Chevrolet ? Cheap Labour cost in Asia/Thailand ? so one would expect them being Thai built to be cheaper here ? same price ? or more expensive ?

As for ECO cars here, there cheap if your Thai and it is your 1st car [eco car rebate]

otherwise buy with a proper sized engine for 20k or so more

I would love to find a bigger engined car with CVT/AUTO, ABS,Electric windows etc for 480k what car is this then?

I've recently bought a new Suzuki Swift. Price is much the same as in Australia - EXCEPT - it only has ONE air bag. The Aussie version has seven! I'd hate to think what other safety features have been dropped.

Having taken it out at night for the first time, I was amazed to find that I could hardly see anything out the side windows. I had to put them down at intersections in the highly unlikely event that a car or bike rider might not have his lights on. Only saw 6 this morning before dawn.

I've had my doubts about the tinting, especially as even the windscreen is tinted, tho a lighter transmittance than the sides. BUT, all the tints are totally reflective!

I've just checked Australian and New Zealand standards, and there is no way these tints are permitted there. Reflective tints are totally illegal and light transmittance must be a minimum of 35%. No tinting at all is allowed on the portion of the windscreen below the mirror.

I'm going to have to remove the side window tints and try and find the correct ones.

As Thai assembled Suzukis are going to be exported to Australia, I should imagine there will be quite a few differences.

Is there such a thing as a Thai standard for tints? rolleyes.gif

I've recently bought a new Suzuki Swift. Price is much the same as in Australia - EXCEPT - it only has ONE air bag. The Aussie version has seven! I'd hate to think what other safety features have been dropped.

Having taken it out at night for the first time, I was amazed to find that I could hardly see anything out the side windows. I had to put them down at intersections in the highly unlikely event that a car or bike rider might not have his lights on. Only saw 6 this morning before dawn.

I've had my doubts about the tinting, especially as even the windscreen is tinted, tho a lighter transmittance than the sides. BUT, all the tints are totally reflective!

I've just checked Australian and New Zealand standards, and there is no way these tints are permitted there. Reflective tints are totally illegal and light transmittance must be a minimum of 35%. No tinting at all is allowed on the portion of the windscreen below the mirror.

I'm going to have to remove the side window tints and try and find the correct ones.

As Thai assembled Suzukis are going to be exported to Australia, I should imagine there will be quite a few differences.

Who asked for reflective tint to be put on? Did you accept what suzuki offered or did you get it done at a shop. What % are your tints? You will see the occasional crackdown (i.e. enforcing the law) on tints, but it's been a few years since the last one.

Cars aren't overpriced in Thailand at all... they're over taxed. No way a Thai dealer principle nor sales rep makes anywhere near the profit/commission of their Western counterparts.

Same same , unless you have a magic recipe to avoid paying taxes and duties .

Who asked for reflective tint to be put on? Did you accept what suzuki offered or did you get it done at a shop. What % are your tints? You will see the occasional crackdown (i.e. enforcing the law) on tints, but it's been a few years since the last one.

That's the way the car came at the showrooms. I'd guess that the side tints are nearer 80% than 35%.

All cars are ridiculously priced in Thailand, no exceptions.

if you want to experience ridiculous car prices go to Singapore!

example:

Toyota Prius Thailand 1.25 million Baht

Toyota Prius Singapore 5.125 million Baht (205,000 Singapore Dollars)

They must have a tax, so that means our cars have inflated prices? The tax is only...what, 12% already? ..I'm aware that motor aftermarket parts are quite expensive over there, so this mirage price is very surprising.

Eco cars have 17% excise tax (which is actually 20.9% due to the way it's calculated) plus an additional 10% of that for interior tax, then another 7% VAT on top of that... In the end it works out to roughly 80-85K in taxes on a base model 400K'ish eco-car.

Eco cars have 17% excise tax (which is actually 20.9% due to the way it's calculated) plus an additional 10% of that for interior tax, then another 7% VAT on top of that... In the end it works out to roughly 80-85K in taxes on a base model 400K'ish eco-car.

We were told we'd get back 68,000baht tax rebate on the Suzuki. So the govt are still well in front with their various taxes and VAT.

The rebate didn't happen for various reasons - 2nd car and stuff like that!

That's steep overall...an interior tax? lol....I assume then the tax is much lower in the Phils then.

That's the way the car came at the showrooms. I'd guess that the side tints are nearer 80% than 35%.

I've seen a few swifts with darkened rear windows, but the fronts are much lighter. It looks strange, but maybe you can get the fronts removed and replaced with lighter tint. I'm surprised they put such a dark tint on in the first place, without consulting you first.

I've seen a few swifts with darkened rear windows, but the fronts are much lighter. It looks strange, but maybe you can get the fronts removed and replaced with lighter tint. I'm surprised they put such a dark tint on in the first place, without consulting you first.

Because that's what the previous farang purchaser hadtongue.png .

Actually, the windscreen front is OK, tho illegal also, as it's reflective.

It's the side windows that annoy me as they make it so difficult to see what's outside at night or in an underground and usually badly-lit parking area.

None of the screens lower the UV level as one writer suggested; it's the glass that does this. Wearing ordinary spectacles does much the same.

UV exposure in cars.

Moehrle M, Soballa M, Korn M.

Source

Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Germany. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.

METHODS:

UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of 'adult' and 'child' dummies.

RESULTS:

UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3-4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25-31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

CONCLUSIONS:

The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.

UV exposure in cars.

Moehrle M, Soballa M, Korn M.

Source

Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Germany. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.

METHODS:

UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of 'adult' and 'child' dummies.

RESULTS:

UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3-4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25-31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

CONCLUSIONS:

The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.

Thanks for confirming what I said "additional protection by plastic films":D

sent from my Q6