Reinstall Of Windows Xp...advice Please

nattydread

Bought teerac a Samsung NC10 netbook two years ago and instead of the shop putting on free windows copy xp I had them install a Dell windows xp home cd with the 16 digit code that I bought new from ebay

I presume they downloaded drivers for Samsung since the CD was for Dell but it worked fine and microsoft acknowleged it as geuine and allowed sp3 and updates to be installed

a few weeks ago the computer started having a problem and internet pages wouldnt load and after trying to fix it with my limited computer knowledge I sent her to the shop with the install disc ( see pic)

the guy said to her he could not fix the problem so would reinstall windows but on getting the computer back it was obvious that he had installed a copy windows and not reinstalled from the disc ( see pic)...the new installation would not install updates and was not recognised by microsoft scan

went to the shop with her and the guy said he could not put the disc I had provided on the computer because it was for a Dell even when I explained that the disc had been loaded and authorised as a genuine xp and we had been using it on the computer from new for the last 2 years

he was adamant that it would not work even though he admitted he hadnt even tried to install it and blabbed on about contacting microsoft......I asked for a refund of the 350 baht teerac had paid since he hadnt done the job asked of him and was told no

so my question is will the disc and the code with it reinstall or not bearing in mind it was used on this computer for 2 years and was new and unused when loaded even though he has wiped it off the computer and installed a copy version of XP or could their be a problem because I didnt make any back up discs or the CD was made to be installed on a dell?

sorry if this is all long winded but dont want to waste more time talking to computer techs in the shop

post-92214-0-11109100-1356717149_thumb.j

Using the Dell disc on another computer is in violation of it's licensing terms (disc only to be used with the supplied dell computer). Also, the sale of media and-or product key is also an unauthorized resale.

The way it works is that the media is considered without value. It's the the legality of the license agreement - which is reinforced with the authorized purchase of a product key - that carries value.

So even if it did work in the past; it wasn't legal.

If your computer's windows currently works, then you have a working but non-legal set-up, again.

I think there would only be a problem if you wanted to 100% legal. If so, then you could purchase either a Full Retail or OEM version of Windows 8 (not upgrade because you don't have a valid license to upgrade from).

Or... buy a new computer complete with license.

Edited by RandomSand

I can see the shop point of view. Hes' thinking that there's a good chance of it not installing. And even if it did install, there's be the need to re-install the correct drivers for the Samsung anyway.

It's likely that the shop has a copy of XP that installs all the needed drivers automatically which saves them time looking for drivers on the Samsung website.

You didn't say if he used your supplied product key. I presume he did. In effect, you have a fresh install of Windows, with the same (not 100% legal) license as before.

Edited by RandomSand

I don't think you're going to know until you try it. If it's already been accepted by Microsoft for that computer and you know what product ID code you used, I don't see why not. I agree with all that it's OEM for the Dell only, but sometimes Microsoft validates it anyway. Sometimes.

Find out which product key he used and see if it's the one you've used.

FIRST: is all of your hardware working? I mean, does it look as if the shop reinstalled your drivers? If so, be sure to back them up to a CD/DVD before you do anything.

This proggy works fine and is free.

Then you can reinstall them easily after you re-install Windows.

It's been a while since I install xp from an install disk, but it's pretty easy. You put the CD into your drive, boot the computer, and you should get a splash screen that tells you to hit a key to boot from that CD. Follow the prompts. Yes, format the drive when asked, use standard NTFS file system and continue through the prompts. I wish I could loan you an image with everything but the last few prompts for user name, area, product key, etc.

(If anyone doesn't know how to make one, google "sysprep xp.") But you need a fresh install of Windows first. It's cool to do the install, then install your fav proggies like a picture viewer, zip file reader, etc. etc. first and then they just appear every time.)

OK, so you go through the install, install your driver backup, and then try to use Windows Update and see what happens. I mean, go to the Windows update site and see if it validates to use Update.

Good luck.

It might techincally be illegal but it WILL work.

With any reinstallation of XP the licence MAY need to be re-validated - this can be done over the phone with Microsoft via their automated system (the phone numbers come up at the end of the installation if it;s required) .

The only "difficuculty" you may have is, as someone else stated, you'll need the Samsung Drivers - my suggestion would be to download these prior to a re-installation and save them somewhere (different PC, USB Stick etc) then run the CD you have, then install the drivers.(Go to Samsung web page, Downloads and enter your product name and they should all be there to download and save).

As NeverSure says it is actually quite easy - just put the CD in and have a go yourself! (Make sure there's no data on there that you need as it'll be lost!)

Good luck.

• Like 1

To each his own, and I'm not adamant about this, but just for me if Microsoft OK'd and validated it, I wouldn't consider it illegal. To me, passing around a copy of XP Enterprise Edition with a same-same product key for the whole enterprise, and using more licenses than purchased is illegal. There are even copies of Win 7 Ultimate around with a little proggy that will validate it. I mean it will truly validate a real installation. That's like theft to me and I'm sure it is to Microsoft.

In other words, I don't mind telling someone to see if it's OK with Microsoft and if it is, go for it, but I wouldn't help them go behind Microsoft's back and outright steal it.

$.02

350b for popping a disc in, pressing next once in awhile and watching it load. Not bad!

Personally, if I purchase a computer with a legal OS such as XP on it and later needs reinstalled, I have no moral convictions about downloading an alternative copy or using someone elses copy and reinstalling provided its the same OS.

350b for popping a disc in, pressing next once in awhile and watching it load. Not bad!

Personally, if I purchase a computer with a legal OS such as XP on it and later needs reinstalled, I have no moral convictions about downloading an alternative copy or using someone elses copy and reinstalling provided its the same OS.

Neither does Microsoft if you have a valid product key. It's Microsoft which provides sysprep so you can make an image of a fresh install but without the user name, time zone, product key, etc., then image a whole bunch of computers with that one image. Let's not think that Dell has someone sit there and install Windows on every computer it makes, LOL. No, they make an MSI image file complete with their annoyware and the drivers, and push the installation from a server over a network to as many computers as they want at the same time.

If we ever wondered why a bios can be set to boot on LAN, this is it.

Then the new owner gets the computer, boots it for the first time, and there it is. The request for the time zone, user name, and product key on the machine. Only now can the new owner get into windows and begin using his valid and unique copy of windows.

When we run the sysprep tools on a brand new install, it strips the SID, product key, user name, time zone etc and burns an image of the results. Now we can either burn that image to the hard disk (which will include the formatting info and the hidden directories and drivers and any other crap we installed before the sysprep operation,) locally from a CD/DVD, or we can further create an MSI file from it and push it from a server.

Microsoft doesn't care what form you use to install. It cares only that you own a valid product key.

Edited by NeverSure

Companies like Dell bulk purchase millions of Windows licences from Microsoft at a heavily discounted rate. They are generally valid for use only for the computer you purchased from them, they are not usually transferable. I recall on HP desktops how the version of Windows pre-installed on your HP PC was tied to the motherboard and the licence would not validate on a different computer. You can try re-installing on a different computer and maybe sometimes it will work but one day you will get the message you are using a non-genuine version of Windows if you are using the code that came with your original computer.

If you want to be able to transfer Windows each time you buy a new computer then you should buy the full retail licence for which you pay a premium rather than the one off discounted version that comes pre-installed on many brand name computers. The computer tech referred to in the OP was talking about this it sounds. Also, buying a licence off eBay... what guarantee do you have the seller has not sold the same code to anyone else? If they have then eventually you will get the non-genuine Windows message. For use on a netbook then perhaps consider installing Windows Starter, about 1500 baht. Needs to be activated in South East Asia, read the fine print on the box. A little limited in some respects like being only able to use 2GB RAM but better than installing a pirate version just to save a couple of thousand baht.

Edited by kkerry

All true, but the OP says he already had this installed on this computer and it validated. I know what you mean about the OEM vs retail versions, but as I already said, if it's OK with Microsoft and they validate it, then I feel I have their OK. Others may differ.

To each his own, and I'm not adamant about this, but just for me if Microsoft OK'd and validated it, I wouldn't consider it illegal. To me, passing around a copy of XP Enterprise Edition with a same-same product key for the whole enterprise, and using more licenses than purchased is illegal. There are even copies of Win 7 Ultimate around with a little proggy that will validate it. I mean it will truly validate a real installation. That's like theft to me and I'm sure it is to Microsoft.

In other words, I don't mind telling someone to see if it's OK with Microsoft and if it is, go for it, but I wouldn't help them go behind Microsoft's back and outright steal it.

$.02

passing around a copy of XP Enterprise Edition with a same-same product key for the whole enterprise, and using more licenses than purchased is illegal

the disc was bought off ebay,the seller had sold hundreds and the feed back was 100%.....the disc came wrapped and unopened with the 16 digit code and had no problems for the last 2 years on this samsung computer

correct me if I am wrong but surely each one of these codes can only be used once on one computer.surely they wouldnt print lots of discs with the same code??????

Using the Dell disc on another computer is in violation of it's licensing terms (disc only to be used with the supplied dell computer). Also, the sale of media and-or product key is also an unauthorized resale.

This^^ no better than pirating it. If you install your own copy of Windows onto your system it must be a retail copy.

I am going to try and reinstall the disc and code myself but what about drivers,firmware and software ?.........do I need all of it

http://www.samsung.c...A02UK-downloads

Yes if you reinstall windows you will also need to install the drivers. But if your only objective is to revert your system to it's previously activated state, you don't need to do a reinstall. With a few straightforward steps you can change the product key on the present XP installation to the one you purchased and then activate.

If you google "xp replace product key" you will find instructions on how to do that.

• Like 1

This^^ no better than pirating it. If you install your own copy of Windows onto your system it must be a retail copy.

Since Microsoft have neither sold nor supported XP for several years, it would be a safe assumption that they don't care. So why should the op?

I am going to try and reinstall the disc and code myself but what about drivers,firmware and software ?.........do I need all of it

Hi, You can leave the firmware. Can you save the XP drivers and XP software to a USB flash drive before you re-install ?

Little tip; install the drivers first, starting with Chipset, then VGA, then Sound, rest of drivers in any order.

Regarding the software; You may not need to install it all. Indeed the computer might be faster without all those "useful" samsung utilities. Looks like the following *should* be installed: MS Hotfix Security, Magic Keyboard, Play Camera and maybe/maybe not SAMSUNG Battery Manager.

Edited by RandomSand

With all due respect, I don't think so. One of the biggest sellers in the US sells only OEM versions. You can install on one computer, but then it's locked to that computer.

This is totally legal.

I like to burn my drivers to a CD/DVD. I know it's handy to put them on something like a USB stick, bit I have an envelope for each of my computers. In that (letter sized manilla envelope) are CD's with all of my drivers - motherboard, video card, printer, sound card, etc. etc. that I bought separately. Also there's a full driver backup. There's also the user manual for the motherboard. If I ever needed to do a clean install using the Windows disk, everything is right there. I also have a fully installed image in there, but that's another process.

Yes if you reinstall windows you will also need to install the drivers. But if your only objective is to revert your system to it's previously activated state, you don't need to do a reinstall. With a few straightforward steps you can change the product key on the present XP installation to the one you purchased and then activate.

If you google "xp replace product key" you will find instructions on how to do that.

I like this idea. The only problem will be if the shop used an image that won't validate because they didn't first strip the SID (Security identifier.) When Windows installs, it builds a unique SID for that computer based on the hardware profile. Then it will never validate on another computer. That's one of the reasons you can't just take a physical hard disk out of one computer with its Windows installation, and run it in another computer. BUT you can if you first run sysprep on it.

I mentioned sysprep earlier. One of the things it does is strip the SID from the installation so that when the computer first boots, it builds a new one.

$.02

passing around a copy of XP Enterprise Edition with a same-same product key for the whole enterprise, and using more licenses than purchased is illegal

the disc was bought off ebay,the seller had sold hundreds and the feed back was 100%.....the disc came wrapped and unopened with the 16 digit code and had no problems for the last 2 years on this samsung computer

correct me if I am wrong but surely each one of these codes can only be used once on one computer.surely they wouldnt print lots of discs with the same code??????

When you buy the enterprise edition, you buy a desired number of licenses. You can install on that number of computers. There is some trust involved because Microsoft can't tell how many you are using. So yes, passing it around elsewhere and letting it get used beyond the number of licenses you own is a violation of the agreement.

I do some consulting for a large hospital and they are still mostly running XP. There is NO way that they would buy into Windows if they had to have tech support sit at each computer and do a manual install. They have more than 1,000 employee computers including a lot of portable boxes. Any installation needed is pushed from the server with an MSI image file. Every computer is set up the same, with all important data such as the Outlook .pst file, My Documents, etc. etc. on the server in that user's space using Active Directory. Any employee can use any computer in the enterprise simply by sitting down and logging into Active Directory. Every computer will look the same to them.

When they buy computers, they are likely to buy at least 200 of them. Someone does a manual installation on one including drivers, any unique programs used and all, and then syspreps it and puts that whole image on the server as an MSI file. Now all the rest of the new computers can be imaged with a push from the server, all at once. All have the same product key. There is another file that is made with notepad which will install anything you want such as the product key, time zone, etc., BUT the important thing is that the SID is stripped and must be rebuilt by each computer upon first boot.

With all due respect - why are you screwing around with ancient software? Time for an upgrade. It's almost 2013, not 2001....

I have 9 computers right here in my home office. One is my main squeeze desktop, two are laptops, and 6 are what I call my "lab" which includes a Server and all 6 are connected with just one monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse using a KVM switch. This is where I test things, and I have an image for each in case I blow it up screwing around.

My main squeeze an my laptops have Win 7 Ultimate, but the rest are all XP pro except the server.

Are you asking me to go buy the latest version of Server, and 8 new copies of Windows 8 today, or is it OK with you if I not spend a couple of grand?

XP is going to be in operation for a long, long time.

Edited by NeverSure

I like to burn my drivers to a CD/DVD. I know it's handy to put them on something like a USB stick, bit I have an envelope for each of my computers. In that (letter sized manilla envelope) are CD's with all of my drivers - motherboard, video card, printer, sound card, etc. etc. that I bought separately. Also there's a full driver backup. There's also the user manual for the motherboard. If I ever needed to do a clean install using the Windows disk, everything is right there. I also have a fully installed image in there, but that's another process.

Probably wasted effort. By the time you reinstall the drivers are out of date. In fact an old driver might be the problem that led to the need to reinstall. Best to go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers just before the reinstall. You can keep the old driver disks around in case you can no longer find drivers but by that time you may have changed OS anyway.

• Like 1

Probably wasted effort. - snip

Not if you lose a HDD and can't get to the internet until you install your motherboard and LAN drivers on a new one. It's just so easy to burn them once you have the backup. smile.png

I actually create a new image of my %system% drive every night with the scheduler, so I can be completely back up and running in less than 30 minutes. In fact, something, and I have no idea what, went wrong with my installation about a week ago. After spending a few hours trying to troubleshoot it, I gave up and restored with the image from the night before.

In 7 it's Control Panel> System and Security> Back up your computer.

In Vista it's Control Panel> System and Maintenance> Back up and restore center.

Be sure to make the CD boot disk when prompted the first time. You boot from that, and take the restore with an image option.

It requires a place other than the %system% disk such as a second HDD local or networked.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Not if you lose a HDD and can't get to the internet until you install your motherboard and LAN drivers on a new one. It's just so easy to burn them once you have the backup. smile.png

I actually create a new image of my %system% drive every night with the scheduler

If you restore from an image, then the drivers are included in the image, and you can update drivers afterwards. And if you're backing up to HD you can just backup the latest drivers in a folder on your backup disk. So again your elaborate backup to CD and label and file is probably wasted effort as I noted above, esp if you have the orignal CDs that came w/ the m'board etc.

Most people have access to another computer or a live CD that will permit access to the 'net.

smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

With all due respect, I don't think so. One of the biggest sellers in the US sells only OEM versions. You can install on one computer, but then it's locked to that computer.This is totally legal.
Yeap, done this several times over the years...works fine...and as mentioned the OEM version supposedly locks itself to that one computer.Heck, you can buy OEM versions of Win 8 off Amazon, Newwegg, etc., right now. Link Edited by Pib

But those are partitions. Here's a look at the three different physical hard disks, two with two partitions, and one with four partitions, giving me eight hard drives.

No, you don't have 8 hard drives. Sorry.

Patitioning is mostly a useless overcomplication and gives the illusion of security as above. You can look up a previous discussion on this forum about it. I'm not getting into another discussion here.