Sunday:£1= 60.68 thb

I have been keeping a close eye on the exchange rate over the last 9 months and it seems the pound is going to continue on a downward course! ..

At this rate,by the time i get to come out it will have fallen to 55thb..

I was going to bring over a few thousand pounds and open a thai savings account,this doesn't look like such a good option at present.

Is the THB of an abnormally high value or has the pound just run out of steam in the last year??

Do you think we will have a return to the good old days,when £1 bought you 80+THB????

Edited by lovethailandlongtime

BBK is showing a buying rate of close on 67 Baht to the £ (see link from this site). That's about 2 Baht down on the rate that has held for the last few weeks. In autumn 2004, I recall, the rate was between 73 and 75 to the pound. If you're only offered 60.68, I suggest that you look elsewhere.

The Euro and $ have been falling against the £ so our friends from elsewhere are getting it harder than the Brits.

My 60.68THB comes from two seperate sunday newspapers!!

They can't both be wrong

That's the exchange rate you'd get if you bought baht while in the UK. It's always about 10% worse than if you buy in Thailand. Never buy big bunches of dosh in your home country, wait till you get to where you're going. You always get a better exchange rate that way as there are fewer middlemen looking for a profit.

Edited by endure

They can't both be wrong

That's the exchange rate you'd get if you bought baht while in the UK. It's always about 10% worse than if you buy in Thailand. Never buy big bunches of dosh in your home country, wait till you get to where you're going. You always get a better exchange rate that way as there are fewer middlemen looking for a profit.

good advice I agree bettter rate in thailand everytime :o

Sunday:£1= 60.68 thb

I have been keeping a close eye on the exchange rate over the last 9 months and it seems the pound is going to continue on a downward course! ..

At this rate,by the time i get to come out it will have fallen to 55thb..

I was going to bring over a few thousand pounds and open a thai savings account,this doesn't look like such a good option at present.

Is the THB of an abnormally high value or has the pound just run out of steam in the last year??

Do you think we will have a return to the good old days,when £1 bought you 80+THB????

Hi

See recent Nationwide flex account thread for fee free withdrawals at Thai ATM's

Agree with Brit maveric Current ROE on above withdrawals 67-68baht per £

TBWG :o

If you get yourself a Nationwide Flexaccount you can also use it to buy Sterling travellers cheques from Nationwide. The only charge is £3.50 for Special Delivery. No commission charges at all.

They can't both be wrong

This is the RIP OFF tourist rates that the BIG Bstds Banks love you to exchange at otherwise they would not be able to declare their profits (UK Banks last week)of give or take a satang or 2 ...of £40 BILLION pounds :o Get a N/W card and avoid..................

From OANDA...fx....inter bank rates from Feb 1st until today...

Time period: 02/01/06 to 02/19/06.

Daily averages: 02/01/2006 69.22520

02/02/2006 69.55850

02/03/2006 69.95960

02/04/2006 69.93050

02/05/2006 69.41620

02/06/2006 69.65550

02/07/2006 69.28630

02/08/2006 69.20940

02/09/2006 69.2370

02/10/2006 69.05240

02/11/2006 68.78330

02/12/2006 68.76210

02/13/2006 68.77050

02/14/2006 68.52450

02/15/2006 68.40290

02/16/2006 68.45260

02/17/2006 68.46970

02/18/2006 68.36040

02/19/2006 68.55680

:o

Is that the Thomas Cook rate from the Sunday Times - lol

Lowest rates - I can remember buying at 34THB to the GBP from them before buying in LOS at 37THB

Look at somewhere like www.oanda.com for historical rates.

I get paid in Euro's till June and am hurting a bit now that its down to 46 or so - thats 1200THB a day I will be down next week on holiday

Since my return to the UK - not from holiday, but from over 30 years as an ex-pat - I am amazed at the use of this ancient piece hieroglyphics my fellow countrymen call a "cheque".

What's wrong with a Visa card and on-line banking?

You can travel the world with your bit of plastic, getting money from any ATM, in the currency of that land; visit an Internet cafe, drink a cup of coffee and control your bank account.

All you need is money in the bank.

...and don't we all?

It would be interesting to know why the TB is so strong.

This is fabulous I get paid in Thai Baht and transfer regularly to my UK bank account ...debts still to pay I have just got a sizable pay increase .

When I bought my last house I transfered UK to Bkk at 60.50 to the pound so after waiting a few years it may address the balance keep the Baht strong for another 6 months please !!!!!

www.offshore.hsbc.com.

They have a currency calculater that updates every day.

today it is showing 68.91 and has been steadily rising for the last 3 days.

I desperatley need to transfer over some money , but I am waiting to see if this trend continues. If it DROPS again I will make the transfer.

But tomorrow it may still show itself to be still rising.

Its lowest point was on the 15th feb at 68.22. Exactly a month a go it was 69.19. Thats a big difference when you are transferring a large sum, plus the bank will take their percentage, normally 1.5 baht off this rate.

Wish I had a crystal ball

You are all looking for some direction of forex rates regarding GBP/THB in the future. IMHO, while others disagree, the Asian region as a whole is going to keep appreciating in regards to forex movement. Japan is really turning things around and since they are the biggest player in the region, all other Asian countries ride their coattails whether they like it or not. China just keeps chugging along at its amazing pace, Vietnam is growing abundantly because its really opening its doors now to foreign investment, Thailand has been and will continue to see some nice growth and Malaysia is going to be the next hotspot economy. All this translates into higher rates in the forex market. Asia, and Thailand for that matter, will continue to see their currencies appreciate for a while so play your financial positions that way.