Trouble With The Mosquitos! Bum Bitten To Bits!

Poo Ying FeFe

These are all good things to consider, thanks for the input guys.

Yes I'm certain in ths case that they were Mosquitos because they were flying around me like mad. The BF and I swatted most of them. The workout was from 4pm to 6:30pm so the sun had been coming down and it was well shaded in the camp anyway.

I spent a lot of time travelling between BKK, Isaan and Chiang Mai but the Mosquitos up there were never able to bite through my clothing. That's why I was wondering if they are a different type in the South.

Twinpin, I spent time in Gambia were the mosquitos are much larger but again they could never get through my clothing.

Ok, Deet creams & vinegar baths are the way forward... Marvellous. Any particular type; Rice Wine Vinegar or good old Malt Vinegar?

ps. The bites are healed up now and they didn't ooze. Gawd mrsa on the floor mats??..I'll layer up on the gym trousers.

the mozzies are attracted to CO2 that is present in perspiration. A DEET based repellent is the go. The spray on Aerogard or RID from Australia is very good but I haven't seen it on the shelves in Thailand but there will be something similar. I have bought different stuff in Thailand and as long as it is DEET based it seems to work. Bear in mind it is DEET not DTT like my Mum used to bathe me in as a kid....with no long term harm I should add regardless what the extremists insist.

Edited by Mudcrab

In my studies of alternative medince , I recently came across an answer for any insect bite. It is alleviated entirely by strong heat applied to the bite for about 30 seconds. The article suggested using very hot water soaked towels. I immediately tried this and the bites itch go away within one minute and do not itch again for at least 6 hours. I have also used a hair dryer and this morning I held a hot cup of coffee on a bite. This has never failed me yet. Stop laughing and try it. Truly a Godsend for me. I hate mosquito and ant bites. I don't think this would work on some of these two kilo black bee stings though. I got bit a year ago by one of these B-52's and it was painful for a month, not an hour like most bee stings.

We need to be mindful that it is not the mozzie bite that is in itself dangerous...sure they can be come infected and as stated..a pain in the arse....but it is what they may exposing the person to. Dengue, Ross River, Malaria, Barmah and many other virus/ailments. Preventing the initial bite is far more important than dealing with the symptoms afterwards.

Edited by Mudcrab

Thanks again for all the input.

I'm having a much better time with the mossies now! Hoorah smile.png

Firstly, I realised that the creams I was using had a really low Deet ingredient of 13% and were lightly floral fragranced. So I started using the 50% concentration and its like wearing a Mosquito-Shield. They just cannot sense me and fly right on by. Thanks Namkangman for bringing that to my attention.

Second thing, I guess it's just down to body-chemistry but the antihistamine Loratadine was not helping my allergic reaction to the bites, it's very affective for pollen and animal hair - airborne style allergies. But for the skin Cetirizine came up with top marks. 10mg twice per day after a bad mossie attack completely calms the itchiness down and prevents it from getting bigger and bumpy.

Lastly and most ultimately... I came across this bad boy... (You did ask for pics)

A mosquito electrocution racquet. I can play tennis with them all day now and I catch them before they catch me. It's much better then spraying chemicals indoors but you still have to sweep up the corpses.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mosquitos home in on spirals of carbon dioxide gas created by respiration,the only way they wouldn't see you is if you held your breath!As for DEET,I believe it's banned in most Western countries,so you're better off not using it unless there is a chance of contracting malaria.

In my studies of alternative medince , I recently came across an answer for any insect bite. It is alleviated entirely by strong heat applied to the bite for about 30 seconds. The article suggested using very hot water soaked towels. I immediately tried this and the bites itch go away within one minute and do not itch again for at least 6 hours. I have also used a hair dryer and this morning I held a hot cup of coffee on a bite. This has never failed me yet. Stop laughing and try it. Truly a Godsend for me. I hate mosquito and ant bites. I don't think this would work on some of these two kilo black bee stings though. I got bit a year ago by one of these B-52's and it was painful for a month, not an hour like most bee stings.

We need to be mindful that it is not the mozzie bite that is in itself dangerous...sure they can be come infected and as stated..a pain in the arse....but it is what they may exposing the person to. Dengue, Ross River, Malaria, Barmah and many other virus/ailments. Preventing the initial bite is far more important than dealing with the symptoms afterwards.
Prevention is always best. Unfortunately the itching can be horrendous, resulting in scratching, resulting in infection. If step one fails, try my method and skip step three the infection.
  • Like 1

Firstly, I realised that the creams I was using had a really low Deet ingredient of 13% and were lightly floral fragranced. So I started using the 50% concentration and its like wearing a Mosquito-Shield. They just cannot sense me and fly right on by. Thanks Namkangman for bringing that to my attention.

Second thing, I guess it's just down to body-chemistry but the antihistamine Loratadine was not helping my allergic reaction to the bites, it's very affective for pollen and animal hair - airborne style allergies. But for the skin Cetirizine came up with top marks. 10mg twice per day after a bad mossie attack completely calms the itchiness down and prevents it from getting bigger and bumpy.

Lastly and most ultimately... I came across this bad boy... (You did ask for pics)

A mosquito electrocution racquet. I can play tennis with them all day now and I catch them before they catch me. It's much better then spraying chemicals indoors but you still have to sweep up the corpses.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mosquitos home in on spirals of carbon dioxide gas created by respiration,the only way they wouldn't see you is if you held your breath!As for DEET,I believe it's banned in most Western countries,so you're better off not using it unless there is a chance of contracting malaria.

Strange reasoning, 'they're banned in most western countries so you're better of not using it?'

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Strange reasoning, 'they're banned in most western countries so you're better of not using it?'

DEET is banned in most Western nations as being a highly toxic chemical detrimental to the body so you're better off not using it,what part of that are you finding difficult to understand?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, thanks again for helping out with your wise words.

Fortunately there is hope for the worst of us sufferers. Long term exposure has been my answer - The bites gradually stopped swelling up so badly. I began reducing the Cetirizine pills and now i only pop an antihistamine very occasionally for the rare occasions when that the Mosquitos attack me. My body has finally adapted to it's surroundings and doesn't flare up like before. I only use a very light spritz of DEET on my bare ankles in the evenings. No more need for the intense DEET gels.

Another tip for anyone currently suffering from the Mossie feeding frenzies is - do not leave clothes or linen outside at night in the garden. The moisture from the temperature changes during the night seem to attract the horrid things to rest on the material. Forget about stagnant water... If you have linens that get a bit moist at dawn... they will happily hide themselves on that.

Khun Nam Kang Man, cheers for your advice... I love my Racquet but I'm not crazy to carry it around outside of my house :) although the thought did cross my mind just once...

actually I live next to a muslim neighbourhood, I'm not really worried about offending anybody here. Strangely enough, It was a gift from my Buddhist friends.

Mosquitos biting through jeans?This is hard to believe. Especially on the ass where the rear pockets add thickness.

No... You've missed a wedge of the conversation. The time that i was bitten on my arse - i was wearing the breathable yoga style pants, that are a light jersey type of fabric, this was while standing around at an exercise class when the teacher was talking out some coaching tips.

I don't expect all men to have an informed understanding of women's fashion, so just to clarify, the style of jeans are unlike mens thick denim fabric. They add a large amount of elasticity to women's jeans so that we can attain a slimline 'Skinny' look. I was bitten through the fabric and on the sides of my thighs when i wore this.

I avoid full lycra items like the plague because its well known that mossies can get you through that fabric - unfortunately a lot of fashionable items contain some lycra to allow a better fit.

Yes I'm certain in ths case that they were Mosquitos because they were flying around me like mad. The BF and I swatted most of them. The workout was from 4pm to 6:30pm so the sun had been coming down and it was well shaded in the camp anyway.

I spent a lot of time travelling between BKK, Isaan and Chiang Mai but the Mosquitos up there were never able to bite through my clothing. That's why I was wondering if they are a different type in the South.

Twinpin, I spent time in Gambia were the mosquitos are much larger but again they could never get through my clothing.

Ok, Deet creams & vinegar baths are the way forward... Marvellous. Any particular type; Rice Wine Vinegar or good old Malt Vinegar?

ps. The bites are healed up now and they didn't ooze. Gawd mrsa on the floor mats??..I'll layer up on the gym trousers.

the mozzies are attracted to CO2 that is present in perspiration. A DEET based repellent is the go. The spray on Aerogard or RID from Australia is very good but I haven't seen it on the shelves in Thailand but there will be something similar. I have bought different stuff in Thailand and as long as it is DEET based it seems to work. Bear in mind it is DEET not DTT like my Mum used to bathe me in as a kid....with no long term harm I should add regardless what the extremists insist.

There is no CO2 in perspiration.

The mossies are attracted to CO2 from exhalation of breath.

There is no CO2 in perspiration.

The mossies are attracted to CO2 from exhalation of breath.

I thought it was the heat they were after