The Ultimate Pattaya Döner And Gyros Guide

raro

BTW, if I recall correctly, not only were there sauces mayo based, they were also overly sugar sweet. Yuck. Double yuck.

I think you recall wrong, Doner King's mayo is not sweet. Sweet mayo is an abomination -- it is salad cream bah.gif

A perfect example why restaurant review threads are pretty much useless...peoples' opinions are so subjective that it can't even be agreed on whether a main condiment on a dish is sweet or not clap2.gif

BTW, if I recall correctly, not only were there sauces mayo based, they were also overly sugar sweet. Yuck. Double yuck.

I think you recall wrong, Doner King's mayo is not sweet. Sweet mayo is an abomination -- it is salad cream bah.gif

A perfect example why restaurant review threads are pretty much useless...peoples' opinions are so subjective that it can't even be agreed on whether a main condiment on a dish is sweet or not clap2.gif

without restaurant review threads, jinthing will be out of job :lol:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'll guess I'll have to take your word for it as I won't be going back as long as MAYO rules there. Or it could be I am more sensitive to sugar taste than you. coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

without restaurant review threads, jinthing will be out of job laugh.png

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Not exactly a job. Maybe a RAISIN EAT YA (sic).

Neither Döner nor Gyros, but this place deserves a honorable mention:

Vlandern Frituur in Soi LK Metro. YES! Real Belgium fries with Krokett Special and Bitterballen. Junk Food Heaven!

Not sure if the place was mentioned earlier, but I stopped by Donor King the other day. It looked good from the outside. Menu OK. BUT, no yoghurt/cucumber sauce--only mayo, garlic, ketchup. I just could not bring myself to even try it. I do not understand why these places are "brain dead" when it comes to proper sauces. About ketchup: yes, totally disgusting, but I have had a tomato-based, oregano, lemon, garlic, onion (not sure about all of the ingredients, but definitely not ketchup, think Greek style tomato sauce) sauce at some Greek places. That sauce was fantastic on grilled beef skewers placed inside Greek bread. Speaking of Greek bread (or even good Middle-Eastern bread) I have never seen it at any of these places. All they have to do is offer Greek style bread and a decent Greek style or Middle-Eastern style yoghurt-based sauce and their product would improve immensely.

How do you distinguish a Mayonaise based garlic sauce from a youghurt based one by just looking at it ?

Spot near Soi VC

This is the original kebab stand in Pattaya - been here at least 15 years

I ate at that stand many times years ago, and they are a the better of the bad lot, but I don't actually like it because the use the pita bread and cut their vegetables in cubes as many do.Vegetables should be sliced or fine cut but not blocks.

I'll guess I'll have to take your word for it as I won't be going back as long as MAYO rules there. Or it could be I am more sensitive to sugar taste than you. coffee1.gif

I also prefer youghurt based garlic sauce, however I haven't seen it yet anywhere in Thailand, but I don't have an issue with mayo based as I always ask to be very economic with the sauces, since Thai's are used to eat sauce with meat instead of meat with sauce.

Edited by jbrain

I'll guess I'll have to take your word for it as I won't be going back as long as MAYO rules there. Or it could be I am more sensitive to sugar taste than you. coffee1.gif

I doubt it. I don't like any sugar in food.

I also prefer youghurt based garlic sauce, however I haven't seen it yet anywhere in Thailand,

If you are ever in Chiang Mai, Zoe in Yellow (a very popular nightclub) has it and the Doner Kebabs are made by a Turk. I never had them before I came to Thailand, but they taste good to me and all the Brits praise them.

Neither Döner nor Gyros, but this place deserves a honorable mention:

Vlandern Frituur in Soi LK Metro. YES! Real Belgium fries with Krokett Special and Bitterballen. Junk Food Heaven!

Not sure if the place was mentioned earlier, but I stopped by Donor King the other day. It looked good from the outside. Menu OK. BUT, no yoghurt/cucumber sauce--only mayo, garlic, ketchup. I just could not bring myself to even try it. I do not understand why these places are "brain dead" when it comes to proper sauces. About ketchup: yes, totally disgusting, but I have had a tomato-based, oregano, lemon, garlic, onion (not sure about all of the ingredients, but definitely not ketchup, think Greek style tomato sauce) sauce at some Greek places. That sauce was fantastic on grilled beef skewers placed inside Greek bread. Speaking of Greek bread (or even good Middle-Eastern bread) I have never seen it at any of these places. All they have to do is offer Greek style bread and a decent Greek style or Middle-Eastern style yoghurt-based sauce and their product would improve immensely.

How do you distinguish a Mayonaise based garlic sauce from a youghurt based one by just looking at it ?

Obviously, you cannot distinguish a mayonaise-based garlic sauce from a youghurt-based one simply by looking at it. On my first visit the waitress told me that the sauces were not made with yoghurt sauce. I suggested, strongly, that they offer a youghurt-cucumber based sauce for foreigners. Then I walked out. On my second visit I decided to try it anyway (see post #58).

I got impressed by the turk in the food court in BigC south pattaya rd near sukumvit.

It was the first time i tried a kebab with tsatziki sauce & the vinegar stuff,

it was a really fresh taste

Agreed. He is A#1 here in Pattaya, And he also recently opened up a restaurant in The Village on Third Road, opposite the Fire Station, a few hundred meters north of South Pattaya Road.

I got impressed by the turk in the food court in BigC south pattaya rd near sukumvit.

It was the first time i tried a kebab with tsatziki sauce & the vinegar stuff,

it was a really fresh taste

Agreed. He is A#1 here in Pattaya, And he also recently opened up a restaurant in The Village on Third Road, opposite the Fire Station, a few hundred meters north of South Pattaya Road.

Will have to give one of his outlets a try :)

I passed by Mikes stall in Big-C yesterday and had a falafel sandwich with the yogurt sauce. It was good, but I still prefer Doner King, particularly due to the bread they use. Besides, I actually prefer the mayo based dressing, so there...

Good for you and bless your mayo on Middle eastern food loving heart! However, wouldn't it be special if they offered mayo sauces AND non-mayo ones as well?

Spot near Soi VC

I ate at that stand many times years ago, and they are a the better of the bad lot, but I don't actually like it because the use the pita bread and cut their vegetables in cubes as many do.Vegetables should be sliced or fine cut but not blocks.

I am sorry I am really confused, having been brought up in Cyprus eating kebabs from both Greeks and Turks, they both used Pitta bread, what else is there to put a kebab in without turning it into a wrap? I agree that the salad should be finely sliced, in Cyprus it was shredded white cabbage and not lettuce.

Spot near Soi VC

I am sorry I am really confused, having been brought up in Cyprus eating kebabs from both Greeks and Turks, they both used Pitta bread, what else is there to put a kebab in without turning it into a wrap? I agree that the salad should be finely sliced, in Cyprus it was shredded white cabbage and not lettuce.

You ask, we deliver. This 15571250-pita-bread-and-kebab-meat-on-wooden-background.jpgis a proper Kebab bread.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Spot near Soi VC

You ask, we deliver. This 15571250-pita-bread-and-kebab-meat-on-wooden-background.jpgis a proper Kebab bread.

Sorry I beg to differ, I have no idea where you got that but its not authentic. That's just a sandwich

Sorry I beg to differ, I have no idea where you got that but its not authentic. That's just a sandwich

Try to enter Kebab bread into Google images and see what you end up with biggrin.png

Of course it is also possible that Google doesn't know the difference between a kebab and a sandwich.

that looks like the stuff I had in Istanbul. That's in Turkey last time I checked....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-80090-0-23461100-1358035884_thumb.j

Well this is the basis of the style from Cyprus but adulterated for UK tastes, again from Google. Note the two handed hold, not a lot of people realise they can act as a Gyroscope to guide liquidly confused people home.............

Also this link http://www.obit-mag.com/articles/mahmut-aygun-inventor-of-the-kebab-sandwich about the supposed inventor of the Kekab Sandwich stating he was Turkish and used Pitta. 1971 seems a bit recent though.........

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

15571250-pita-bread-and-kebab-meat-on-wooden-background.jpg

authenticity depends on the area. the thick bread of the Döner in the picture would be rejected by any Döner and of course Shwarma lover. but then... to each his own.

Where is this place exactly? I can't tell by the address:

http://www.foodpanda...zza-(-Pattaya-)

Hi

It is on Pattaya New Plaza, 2nd Road, approx opposite soi 8.

I`ve been past but not tried it yet.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Anyone tried it?

Sorry for any misdirection.w00t.gif

This place is most likely not what you're looking for.

Garlic yogurt sauce, check.

Thin wrap bread, check

Chile sauce, no check (only packaged sugary Thai "hot" sauce)

Meat, I won't say anything as to be polite coffee1.gif

As Doner King on Pattaya Klang got a few mentions on this thread, I tried it for the first time a few nights ago.

I had a beef kebab, tasted fine to me.

I thought the service was a little on the slow side but kebab above average and will return.

Glad it was mentioned.

Thankssmile.png