Driver Disk

salavan

What drivers are you referring to, you do not need a driver disk to reboot your pc do you mean you need to reformat and reinstall?.

Bit more Info needed

yes i need to format c drive and reboot. the disk came with the computer it called driver disk

Sounds like you lost your installation disk. OK, no panic, on the back of your machine there should be a sticker with a 25-character licence code.

My understanding is that Microsoft can supply you with the means to reinstall, not sure how, but others here may know. Good luck, AA

Many Acers supplied with Windows have a factory restore partition and do not come with an OS restore CD/DVD or a driver CD/DVD.

It seems that model is one of them and if so this is how to use it: http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631

No disk should be necessary. WARNING: the procedure will completely erase the C drive so back up all your stuff before starting. It would also be a good idea to download and save the correct LAN driver on a USB stick, just in case this isnt loaded by the factory restore. As long as the LAN port works you can go online and download any other missing drivers from the Acer website.

Nest time do yourself a favour and burn the Acer eRecovery DVDs before you need them.

• Like 1

Many Acers supplied with Windows have a factory restore partition and do not come with an OS restore CD/DVD or a driver CD/DVD.

It seems that model is one of them and if so this is how to use it: http://emachines-us....etail/a_id/2631

No disk should be necessary. WARNING: the procedure will completely erase the C drive so back up all your stuff before starting. It would also be a good idea to download and save the correct LAN driver on a USB stick, just in case this isnt loaded by the factory restore. As long as the LAN port works you can go online and download any other missing drivers from the Acer website.

Nest time do yourself a favour and burn the Acer eRecovery DVDs before you need them.

Excellent.

There's a very good chance that there's an image in a hidden partition on the hard disk. If so, (and I don't know your machine but I know the formula for creating this) there may be a notice while you first boot, maybe at the bottom of the screen to hit some key to start recovery. If you can see anything like that, hit it and it will take you into a reformat and install by the method known as imaging. It's way easier and faster than an actual manual installation, and takes no skill. I would be greatly surprised if the drivers aren't in that image.

The idea is that the image is a mirror image of what the machine shipped with, and will take you right back there. If it's there it will be a sysprepped image, so you'll need, at the very end, to choose a user name, a computer name, select your time zone and enter the product key that's on the sticker on the case. Then it should boot right into the new install which will look exactly as it did the first time you started your new computer.

Now who was that earlier who told me that partitions were a bad idea?

Edited by NeverSure

Now who was that earlier who told me that partitions were a bad idea?

Yeah, who was that? Me, I said, "Patitioning is mostly a useless overcomplication." Quite true. Here we have the case of a naive user who can't even find the Acer website and has evidently been too cheap to invest in a backup drive. And he can't fix his Windows--Windows can almost always be fixed and reinstallation almost never necessary.

In this case, the old Acer restore partitiion is a convenience.

Any knowledgeable user would have a backup drive and imaged his system drive after removing the crapware and configuring it properly. And then reclaimed the space taken up by the now-useless Acer hidden partition. However, with no additional drive, a partition for imaging makes sense. Of course, in the case, the user made no image.

Should the user later require the warm & fuzzy bigger e-penis feeling of having imaginary multiple "hard drives" when in fact having only one, he could simply map drive letters to folders. Windows will dutifully but erroneously (as part of the overall dumbing down for end users) report the folders as "hard drives." :)

Modern imaging programs can exclude folders from the image, so no need to make separate partitions for music, vids or whatever. Just depends on space available in the image location.