Pepper Spray - Is It Illegal?

JimsKnight

Can someone tell me if pepper spray is illegal to own and carry in Thailand?

I'm fed up of people saying it is but falling deathly silent when asked for proof. Is there a Thai law forbidding it as I don't think there is.

Guns yes, pepper spray I don't think so.

With all the searching going on in Bangkok I am wondering what the deal is.

Link to a translated page of Thai Law more than welcome :)

I think there is something about propellants and projectiles in the law - so limits guns, but also airguns - it would be a stretch to call pepper spray a projectile, but TiT. I think most people just err on the side of caution.

Of course a bag of chilli powder can be carried and thrown in a face or at a load of advancing soi dogs, it works wonders.

I've been to some provinces in Thailand where the cops sell it outside the police station.

However in Bangkok I want to know if there's some ordinance or somesuch that will see a stop and searched farang / thai in the brown stuff for carrying pepper spray...

I've been to some provinces in Thailand where the cops sell it outside the police station.

However in Bangkok I want to know if there's some ordinance or somesuch that will see a stop and searched farang / thai in the brown stuff for carrying pepper spray...

It's legal when purchased from a cop? 555

Sorry I couldn't pass that up.

when you use it on your steak it is legal... i think.

Some posters I appreciate particularly for the simple reason they make me laugh regularly, cheesy.gif Naam you'r one of them, same for you Semper, with however a little difference for Semper I laugh twice, first when I see your Avatar (sorry cannot refrain) secondly when I read the comment thumbsup.gif

What many posters would infer is regardless whether it is actually legal or not,

you'll probably come out on the losing end if you'd ever have cause to use, accused of being the aggressor, etc,

I wouldn't even trust what a cop may say regarding legality, I'd ask a lawyer.

Pepper spray is openly sold at most markets. Gp to the vendors which sell the knives, lighters, padlocks, etc.

There's a youtube video of a Bangkok pepper spray defence trainer, who sprays the pepper directly into your eyes as part of the training course. Quite harsh, I think.

when you use it on your steak it is legal... i think.

jean cretien, former canadian pm is in agreement with you. still makes me laugh

Thanks for that. It gave me a laugh as well. I admired old Jean Cretien and he told it like it was against a nerdy twit.

I hope not, I make my own which I use to against dogs that attack me when I'm out cycling.

How do you make it, and what is the method of delivery? Had any direct hits? I carry a collapsible baton which mostly keeps the wretches at a distance, but I'm always open to alternatives.

I hope not, I make my own which I use to against dogs that attack me when I'm out cycling.

How do you make it, and what is the method of delivery? Had any direct hits? I carry a collapsible baton which mostly keeps the wretches at a distance, but I'm always open to alternatives.

Mix dey chillies with ethyl alcohol (available from pharmacies) in a scew top bottle (6 ltr water bottles are ideal).

Leave for about a week ir more, shake up occasionaly,then drain liquid- Place in an open container and allow to evaporate untill the liquid thickens. Mix with baby oil and then place in an empty small liquid soap bottle ( squeezy bottle)

My own 'field trials' demonstrate this is VERY effective !

• Like 1