Pattaya - Ubon Ratchathani By Car

Northside

First post, let's try

Planning to rent a car and drive from Pattaya to Ubon Ratchathani, more specific Nam Yuen, about 1-2 hours south of Ubon city.

I've been there a few times before, but usually I go with airplane.

This time I decided to see more of Thailand + have my own car when I stay in Nam Yuen (not rent a driver everyday which I've done before).

Here is the route I'm planning to drive: 635km according to Google.

(not allowed to add link, so I try to explain)

From Pattaya - up north to Pak Thong Chai (road 304). Take right there and follow road 24. Passing Nang Rong and Prasat.

When I come to Kantharalak we drive down (south) to Cambodian boarder and head for Nam Yuen.

Question 1)

I want to stop around half the way and sleep there one night. Is there any places at this route or close to it that is worth to see?

Small town/village or big city is not important, I need a place I can look around. National park, wat, or whatever.

I have been to Phanom Rung temple (close to Nang Rong) few years ago. Very nice, but no need to see that place again

Question 2)

Is there anything special I should stop and see close to this route? Old temple, park or something (Just for 1-2 hours and then continue the trip).

Question 3) At the end of this route, close to Nam Yuen, the road goes down to the boarder of Cambodia. I know some months ago this road was closed due to conflict with Cambodia. Is this road open as normal now?

Thanks

I go to Ubon all the time but I don't drive there. If you are interested in temples then go via way of Cambodia... there is always Siem Reap that is on the way. You would have to look into crossing the boarder with the car. Then if the road is open... swing up to Preah Vihear. It looks like you can access Preah Vihear from the Cambodian side. That would be a fun adventure!

I read one report that there will be a public hearing on the ownership of Preah Vihear in April of next year. There was fighting over this Temple but it sounds like things have quieted down and tourists are going there now. But best to check yourself before you go.

Have driven that route, from my home in A. Kantharalak to Jomtien several times (and to Nam Yuen from my home) .

Pats To Nam Yuen would be about 8 hours of solid driving (assuming top speed of say 110 kph). It's about 650 k I think, so that's a pretty tiring days drive for one, unless you are used to long hauls. Add an hour or two for fuel/food/comfort breaks. Its a fast four lane road most of the way until Nang Rong, with a few patches thereafter (30k near Khu Khan and 15k through Kantharalak). The two lane road over the Kabinburi hills can be a slow grind if there are lots of trucks and Highway 24 between Nang Rong and Prasat can be annoyingly slow with heavy traffic volume. Why the national and local governments have not widened this part of a nationally and regionally important highway to 4 lanes is unfathomable!

Phanom Rung is the only 'national class' tourist attraction on that route and there is nowhere en route in the halfway vicinity that I would recommend being a worthwhile stay, unless you were to divert to Buriram (which has other ancient temples in the vicinity) or Surin (also has farang bars/restaurants, but nothing in the Pattaya class!). There are signs on Highway 24 for minor diversionary visits to weaving villages and an ox-cart centre in the Buriram province section of 24 I think - I've never tried them as I'm usually on a mission to get to Jomtien or Bangkok quickly. If you go through Khun Han to get to Kantharalak you could briefly visit the curious Wat Lan Kuat in Khun Han without adding to your distance - its eponymously made entirely of (glass) bottles.

There is no problem with the road from Kantaralak to Nam Yuen - it only closed briefly at the height of the tensions - seems a long time ago now and most of the Thai squaddies have gone back South to the insurgent provinces.

Finally - re the Kao Prah Vihear comment above. Yes an interesting trip from the Cambodian side, and the only way at present to visit that gorgeous hill top temple (its worth a distant look from the Thai-side National Park 30k south of Kantharalak btw). However, you cannot get accross the border into Thailand anywhere close to the temple, so it would be pretty much a one day excursion (maybe longer without your own transport) in its own right from the nearest border, O Smach / Choam Sa N'Gam along roads that were previously of dubious quality - but which may have been improved by now.

Edited by SantiSuk

Thanks for very good information!

I will read more about Buri Ram and Suring. Wat Lan Kuat is a very good idea, can even be done as a day trip from Nam Yuen if I want to bring my wife family to this place.

8 hours driving is ok, but i guess I will rent a car for 2 weeks, so no hurry. Better relax, drive safe (and avoid driving when dark, tried that down from Vientiane once...) and see this land when I first go by car.

Sadly, as mentioned here, you are not allowed to bring your vehicle out of Thailand. Trip to Cambodia is somewhere planned in the future, but not during this holiday smile.png

Cheers