Create A Wireless Connection Using My Pc. (Lan Cable Internet)

cbrer

I plan to use my PC to create a wireless connect for my tablet (likely bought tomorrow).

I get my internet for free from my neighbour/landlord via a cable into the house and plugged into my PC. I believe the terminology is that it is a LAN Cable coming from my landlord's DSL router. (So I was told in another thread)

Please see following photo.

sany0056i.jpg

I run Windows 7 Professional on my PC.

How can I set up a wireless connection with this being the case?

Thanks.

I also only want it to be wireless in the immediate vicinity, about 5 meters I presume. I don't want to set up a connection that the whole neighbourhood connects into.

JIB sticker did you buy that in Thailand?

If you have a LAN connection being provided why not just get a router and use in bridge mode and it provides wireless to your unit and also 4 LAN ports of your own - the wireless will run off that cable you already have from the landlord. Just make an extension of your landlords LAN with the 4 port router with wireless by connecting that LAN cable into the WAN port of the router.. This does not connect to everyone only those you give a password to and the PC can connect to the router and work no different then it does now. A cheap router should work fine like the buffalo they sell at Lotus. Maybe find a techy friend to set up and make the wireless secure and not used by others as will as the bridge mode.

Another option is a cheap switch that has 5 ports - plug the LAN cable into it and the PC into it everything will work like it does now - then connect a wireless access point to the switch and password it. an AP and a switch are both vary cheap. The router way is the all in one version of this set up.

PS doing it this way means your PC does not have to be on and if you reboot or something the wireless stays up and running.

Edited by RKASA
  • Like 1

JIB sticker did you buy that in Thailand?

Yes, a cheap n easy PC build for around 12k baht.

If you have a LAN connection being provided why not just get a router and use in bridge mode

I'm afraid this is where you lose me. I barely know what a router is.

and it provides wireless to your unit and also 4 LAN ports of your own - the wireless will run off that cable you already have from the landlord. Just make an extension of your landlords LAN with the 4 port router with wireless by connecting that LAN cable into the WAN port of the router.. This does not connect to everyone only those you give a password to and the PC can connect to the router and work no different then it does now. A cheap router should work fine like the buffalo they sell at Lotus. Maybe find a techy friend to set up and make the wireless secure and not used by others as will as the bridge mode.

Another option is a cheap switch that has 5 ports - plug the LAN cable into it and the PC into it everything will work like it does now - then connect a wireless access point to the switch and password it. an AP and a switch are both vary cheap. The router way is the all in one version of this set up.

PS doing it this way means your PC does not have to be on and if you reboot or something the wireless stays up and running.

Sounds great, thanks. I'll re-read it tomorrow when I'm less drunk, and will make notes. Cheers. :)

Possibly the cheapest way would be to buy a USB wireless adapter (500 baht-ish) and download Connectify (google it).

It would be the cheapest way but for under 1000B you can get a decent Dlink wifi router that will allow all the devices to connect without the main PC having to be on at all. 500B well-spent, I think.

• Like 1

Possibly the cheapest way would be to buy a USB wireless adapter (500 baht-ish) and download Connectify (google it).

You can set a password to avoid others jumping on.

The only downside is your PC must be running to use the WiFi.

Thanks.

Downloaded, and off to try and buy both a wireless and tablet now. :)

Computer is on 24/7 so that should be okay.