Latest Trip Gripes

gk10002000

OK. This is trip number 14 since 2004. Two things that are less than desirable:

1: Is smoking still outlawed in public bars and restaurants indoors? I remember when they first enacted that a few years back and it kind of worked. I thought it was great to sit in a gogo. Doesn't seem to be in effect now. I even asked the host and she said you can smoke. BS

2: Boy that constant blockage along beach road of all those vendors is disgusting. Can't enjoy what used to be a pleasant walk during the day or at night. Same stuff being sold every few meters. Vendors trash the beach, pee and everything else. Can't even tell that Pattaya has a beach. Not that I would ever swim in it, but at least it used to look nice. Anybody got an email or physical mail of some group I can send comments to about doing away with it? The Mayor? The TAT bureau?

Happy New Year

Good luck with your crusade, at present Beach rd is much worse than you ever imagined, both sides have vendors the beach side being worse, on the plus side I have encountered fewer smokers in the bars. A few of them actually smoke outside the bars and good on them for that. Maybe this trip I won't have to have a week off with a sore throat when I get back home.

The beach vendors aren't permanent but when they are, they are a total blight on the Pattaya beach area. Reminds me of the ruination of Patpong Road years ago when sheer greed led them to allowing thousands of vendors to block the entire road , which precipitated the demise of the whole area.

But as the OP said, whether the sea was dirty or not, at least you could see it and and have a wander along the promenade of an afternoon.

Again, I am sure it is pure greed that has led to this abomination, as I'm sure the good folk in City Hall are filling their pockets from kickbacks extracted from the hapless vendors.

I went there with my GF a couple of days ago after seeing a movie in Central, and within 2 minutes my GF had enough. It was just too crowded and unpleasant, even for Thais, let alone tourists, and I don't think we even got a glimpse of the sea.

Crazy or what?

By all means complain to the authorities but it is very difficult to get between a Thai official and his feeding trough....

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 2

The beach vendors aren't permanent but when they are, they are a total blight on the Pattaya beach area. Reminds me of the ruination of Patpong Road years ago when sheer greed led them to allowing thousands of vendors to block the entire road , which precipitated the demise of the whole area.

But as the OP said, whether the sea was dirty or not, at least you could see it and and have a wander along the promenade of an afternoon.

Again, I am sure it is pure greed that has led to this abomination, as I'm sure the good folk in City Hall are filling their pockets from kickbacks extracted from the hapless vendors.

I went there with my GF a couple of days ago after seeing a movie in Central, and within 2 minutes my GF had enough. It was just too crowded and unpleasant, even for Thais, let alone tourists, and I don't think we even got a glimpse of the sea.

Crazy or what?

By all means complain to the authorities but it is very difficult to get between a Thai official and his feeding trough....

I think the solution is right in your post...the plethora of booths makes it an uncomfortable place to walk and/or shop and people will stop going there...vendors make little money...and stop renting these spaces during holiday weekends. I was there yesterday for the NYE festivities (north end near Holiday Inn, I saw few, if any vendors, doing much business.

On the plus side of a Pattaya holiday, the free fireworks show (and the loud music from what I suspect was one of those posh hotel parties I could hear from my Markland balcony) was really spectacular The fireworks were going off from around 9 till the climax at midnite, when I could see the fireworks all across the horizon from Jomtien beach on over to the Bali Hai Pier then over to the Pattaya sign and then on over to the Royal Cliff complex, in addition to stuff that was going off all along the beach itself. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and said Pattaya still does know how to throw a good party.

Soon there will not be a "beach" along Pattaya Bay. The sea is eroding the beach away--look at the beach section in front of Amari Hotel down to soi 3 just a narrow strip and when the tide comes in, there is NO place to sit except on the promenade. There was an attempt to place large sand bags (by amateurs workers) down from the Dusit, but the 200 meter stretch of the man made barrier is already falling apart. The Thai way is to wait for the sea to start eroding Beach Road and then the city will get serious. As long as the city is collecting tax revenue from all the tourists and building permits, it seems that they do not care what fall aparts.

Lovely beach, filled with garbage and sand bags! If the City dosent do anything else, it should take care of the beach, or it should just admit why tourist come here, and build more bars, and import more ladies.

The people that are mostly now comming in package tours to Pattaya, maybe dont have it so great back home either, as far as environment goes, so probably dont complain, or even notice the garbage. By the time the beach is fixed, there might not be any tourist to use it, except for the ones that are stuck on a tour, and from under developed counties.

Most of us complainers have settled here, and its not always easy to just pack up and leave, but tourist can just decide to go somewhere else, even though the "somewhere else", might be just as bad.

I don't care much for smoke as well, but can never recall having a problem anywhere, I think you'll be good.

Beach Rd. is fine, just walk along the beach side, and not the other...I whiz right along day and night, until I see a beautiful girl wanting conversation smile.png that's the only thing that tends to slow my walks down.