Nakonchai Air (Nca)

Patch3228

Hi first time poster...grateful of any wisdom/assistance:

- travelling from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, is Nakonchai Air a good service or prone to bad delays?

- where is the pickup point in Chiang Mai?

- where is the drop off point in Bangkok?

- can you purchase the overnight VIP in advance (if yes then is this desirable or best to buy on the day)

- likelihood of no spaces available if buy on the day?

- will be travelling in June 2013

- due to the long distance...how likely will the bus driver crash...is it a common occurrence (sorry just had to throw. Silly question in to lighten the mood)

Thanks in advance for reading!

Patch

NCA is one of the best out there. I have not heard of delays nor accidents with them, but on other carriers it happens more times than I would like to hear about

June is a slower time, and they have many going to Bangkok nightly from Chiang Mai. Cost was just under 800 bt. last time I used them. Usually I just got my ticket that day.

Chaing Mai Bus station is out by the super highway and most anyone knows where it is to help you. They have long term parking there of just take a taxi or tuk tuk.

As a side note, A few weeks back I was rear ended by a Siam Tour bus. Driver was sited for causing an accident. turns out we both had the same insurance company and the insurance adjuster said they have no insurance to help any passengers should there be a problem or accident. So be advised you maybe on your own if somethings happens

Always my first choice if going to Bangkok from Khon Kaen by bus.

The First Class bus is really comfortable.

http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

fully agree !

BUT the OP should be warned i have never been able

to just turn up and buy a FIRST CLASS ticket at the window

- always full !

Always need to book ahead on the phone days in advance of you trip

and then pay for the trip any 7/11 shop before midnight on that day.

Superbly convenient !smile.png

But GOLD class is quite comfy if you cant get FIRST CLASS

Always my first choice if going to Bangkok from Khon Kaen by bus.

The First Class bus is really comfortable.

http://www.nca.co.th/firstclass.php

fully agree !

BUT the OP should be warned i have never been able

to just turn up and buy a FIRST CLASS ticket at the window

- always full !

Always need to book ahead on the phone days in advance of you trip

and then pay for the trip any 7/11 shop before midnight on that day.

Superbly convenient !smile.png

But GOLD class is quite comfy if you cant get FIRST CLASS

Really good advice

re crash: other as most TV-uses tend to think, most crashes are in fact made by lorrydrivers-they are much more prone to overworking/sleep etc-and at night lorries=trucks and buses are usually about the only vehicles running full-speed. Not that this reduces the mayhem caused-but one of the last crashes was in fact by the BoKoSo==govmt. bus, so beloved als by TV-users. Nothing is maybe as it seems.

You can book online for NCA-but only witha Thai bankaccount and full knowledge of Thai-and usually not more as 4-6 weeks advance. Far too early to worry now about june.

Why don't you just fly?

why stuff around getting to and from airports and pay all that extra for overweight luggage

when this is far more convenient and just as comfortable ?

I guess it's a matter of opinion. IMO, glued into a seat for 7 to ???? hours rocketing down highways is not an especially comfortable or appealing choice.

Another option is the train. This website, "The Man in Seat 61, Bangkok<-->Chiang Mai" shows some of the choices on train travel between Chiang Mai and Bangkok. The have both daytime and overnight sleeper trains. Yes, they can run late sometimes, but that can happen on a bus also. I traveled up to Chiang Mai from Bangkok last year on an overnight sleeper, 2nd class and had a nice trip. Had a dining car, so you can go up and grab some food and have a beer. Stretch your legs, meet other people, etc. Personally, on a long trip like that, I'll choose train over bus, even if it takes a bit longer. But, to each his own!

Another option is fly. The OP's planned trip is in June. I just checked their website and Air Asia has some of their "promo fares" available in June for Chiang Mai-->Bangkok. Some days as low as 590.01baht. Now, that is just you and carry-on luggage. Other things are extra. As you step through the booking process, you have the option to select extra baggage, specific seat, in-flight meal, etc. You can choose yes or no as you want. It's about a one-hour flight. I flew that trip with them last September. Booked it far in advance and got their "promo fare". I had no problems. Worked well for me. Even if you have extra luggage, it may still be a workable option for you.

• Like 1

re crash: other as most TV-uses tend to think, most crashes are in fact made by lorrydrivers-they are much more prone to overworking/sleep etc-and at night lorries=trucks and buses are usually about the only vehicles running full-speed. Not that this reduces the mayhem caused-but one of the last crashes was in fact by the BoKoSo==govmt. bus, so beloved als by TV-users. Nothing is maybe as it seems.

You can book online for NCA-but only witha Thai bankaccount and full knowledge of Thai-and usually not more as 4-6 weeks advance. Far too early to worry now about june.

You can book online for NCA-but only witha Thai bankaccount and full knowledge of Thai-

totally misleading and incorrect information!

huh.png

1. When you telephone their call centre you have the choice of dealing with an English speaking operator.

2. There is no need whatsoever to have a Thai bank account?! The procedure is when you book on the

telephone, they will provide you with a password which is about 12 digits. you must then go into

any 7-Eleven store anywhere in the country to pay for it before midnight on the same day you made your booking

otherwise the computer system will cancel your booking .

You simply provide the shop assistant at 7/11 with the code NCA provided

and pay in cash. You keep this receipt until the day of your travel and then swap it for the bus

ticket itself just before your departure. Easy as pie.

smile.png

As to reliability of the bus drivers This also depends on the standard of training as well as their

fatigue level. Unlike other bus companies, NCA has two bus drivers on longer journeys like this.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Oh my word this forum is awesome...did not expect this many replies

Sorry for the delay...I registered and forgot altogether

Just a few additions and responses:

- I will be arriving in Thailand 3rd June and travelling to Bangkok, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai

- I will be using overnight trains, 12 seater planes from Nok Air and I deliberately wanted a coach experience to polish this trip off

- ok so it sounds like pickup and drop off points are well known, which is reassuring

- I definitely want the premium ticket so when I get to Thailand I will reserve via call centre then pop into a 24/7 to make payment

- I am travelling at 21:30 bus so fingers crossed my driver will be alert still

- My fiancée and I will take turns to stay awake in case undesirables fancy a quick loot

Thanks again for all your help, I do appreciate it!

• Like 1

Oh my word this forum is awesome...did not expect this many replies

Sorry for the delay...I registered and forgot altogether

Just a few additions and responses:

- I will be arriving in Thailand 3rd June and travelling to Bangkok, Koh Tao, Chiang Mai

- I will be using overnight trains, 12 seater planes from Nok Air and I deliberately wanted a coach experience to polish this trip off

- ok so it sounds like pickup and drop off points are well known, which is reassuring

- I definitely want the premium ticket so when I get to Thailand I will reserve via call centre then pop into a 24/7 to make payment

It's only in 7/11 i.e. you cannot make this payment in a Family Mart or any other similar shop

- I am travelling at 21:30 bus so fingers crossed my driver will be alert still

like I said before you will find two drivers on long trips and while one is driving the other driver is sleeping in a special compartment at the back of the bus. They will change over about half way.

- My fiancée and I will take turns to stay awake in case undesirables fancy a quick loot

Stored luggage is carefully tagged and there is an on-board attendant on all journeys either male or female. They will not allow anyone near your luggage until the end of the journey. If you mean your personal items you will have an overhead locker. Plus, I doubt if you will find many undesirables particularly in first class?

smile.png

Thanks again for all your help, I do appreciate it!

Edited by Asiantravel

Why don't you just fly?

Not everyone wants to fly, and NCA are excellent. I wish they had a Bangkok - Trat Route. No real choice but to either drive, or fly and Bangkok Airways at 7,000 return at the moment is a rip off.

• Like 1

NCA First Class is as good as bus travel gets.... although BKK to CM still is a long haul in hours...

Correct as stated above in being able to call NCA and book a ticket over the phone with an English speaking rep, and then pay within 24 hours at any local 7/11. You also can pay at the NCA terminal or at the Mochit Bus Station. The two locations are the in the same general northern part of BKK, maybe a mile or two apart.

I'm not sure about total refunds/cancellations, but I do know that once you've purchased a NCA ticket, you can change your reservation to a different time or date for the same destination if available, provided you make the change with them at least some hours before the original bus departs.

In my years of living here, I don't think I've ever heard of a NCA First Class bus crash, nor do their buses attract the kind of thieves sometimes found on tourist bus routes like those that leave from Khao San Road, etc etc.

I just wish they offered their service to more cities than they do... Fortunately, Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai are among the cities where they have First Class Service, which in terms of the seating is better and more comfortable than anything I've seen anywhere in Thailand. Although Air Udon's top level service to Udon Thani kind of comes close in terms of seating...but not in the professionalism of the operation/service.

• Like 1

If I have to take a bus in Thailand this is the company I use if at all possible. Reliable, safe, and comfortable. Service has always been excellent.

I absolutely agree. Best bus service I've used in Thailand.

Office in Chiang Mai is behind the main (old) Arcade bus terminal and next to the 7/11. Huge sign overhead.

Edited by Dap

NCA First Class is as good as bus travel gets.... although BKK to CM still is a long haul in hours...

Correct as stated above in being able to call NCA and book a ticket over the phone with an English speaking rep, and then pay within 24 hours at any local 7/11. You also can pay at the NCA terminal or at the Mochit Bus Station. The two locations are the in the same general northern part of BKK, maybe a mile or two apart.

I'm not sure about total refunds/cancellations, but I do know that once you've purchased a NCA ticket, you can change your reservation to a different time or date for the same destination if available, provided you make the change with them at least some hours before the original bus departs.

In my years of living here, I don't think I've ever heard of a NCA First Class bus crash, nor do their buses attract the kind of thieves sometimes found on tourist bus routes like those that leave from Khao San Road, etc etc.

I just wish they offered their service to more cities than they do... Fortunately, Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai are among the cities where they have First Class Service, which in terms of the seating is better and more comfortable than anything I've seen anywhere in Thailand. Although Air Udon's top level service to Udon Thani kind of comes close in terms of seating...but not in the professionalism of the operation/service.

see their homepage

Nong Khai and Udon Thani just added as new destinations for their first class buses thumbsup.gif

http://www.nakhonchaiair.com/index.php

• Like 1