South Island Recommendation

kawaiimomo

Hi there,

I am currently living in Bangkok and I am planning to spent 3 nights on some island in the south on mid-end January. I've been many times in Koh Lanta before and I like the place, though is a bit of hassle to get there from Krabi airport with the 2 ferries.

I am looking for some recommendation on an island with nice beaches, preferably cheap, with some bars to drink something at night but not crazy parties. I've been in Pi Pi before and, although the island itself is beautiful, I didn't like it because of the so many tourists and the parties at night. Something like Lanta but with easier access and cheaper accommodation would be perfect.

Thanks!

Koh Phayam off of Ranong cheaper than Lanta an much more laid back

Better water off the west coast. than koh Tao

koy lanta 4 hours south of Phuket

Ranong is 4 hours north easy 7-8 bus from Bangkok or u can fly to Ranong and than speed boat out

Not sure when u were last in Lanta but its not cheap anymrore

why does it need to be an island? beach=beach, at least for me, and for a island feeling-as ts only acccessible by boat- try Railay-just off Krabi town. Plus you should have stated more clearly how far you are willing to travel from airport.

Koh Phayam off of Ranong cheaper than Lanta an much more laid back

Better water off the west coast. than koh Tao

koy lanta 4 hours south of Phuket

Ranong is 4 hours north easy 7-8 bus from Bangkok or u can fly to Ranong and than speed boat out

Not sure when u were last in Lanta but its not cheap anymrore

Thanks, will check. BTW I've stayed in Lanta just 1 year ago last time. It's not that cheap but still can find a nice hotel for less than 2000 baht per night.

why does it need to be an island? beach=beach, at least for me, and for a island feeling-as ts only acccessible by boat- try Railay-just off Krabi town. Plus you should have stated more clearly how far you are willing to travel from airport.

Thanks, I will check it too. Maybe I am wrong but I feel in-land beaches tend to be overcrowd as opposed to those in islands. Anyway I am open to listen about non islands as well ;-)

You are right about me not providing enough info. Since I am going to spent just 3 nights and will be flying there in the morning, a place under 2 hours from airport should be the best choice.

Edited by kawaiimomo

Why does everyone have to fly everywhere?!

Based on the fact you (not me) are ok with Lanta, I am going to second Phayam. Koh Tao ferry is a hassle and you are looking at storms this time of year. Pretty crap beaches as well. Back side of island has no beaches.

Sine you think Lanta is a hassle (snd for three days I agree) , wont bother with any better recommendations but for three days...Id be looking at Koh Chang in Trat. Three days for an island is madness.

• Like 1

When you say 2 hours from the airport, do you mean by car? Plane? Total travel time? If Plane, there's lots of places you can get to in 2 hours, but total travel time will be a pain unless you fly to Samui or Phuket and stay there. Some nice beaches on Phuket in the north part, and not far from the airport.

Im heading to my secret spot in a few weeks - for a few weeks. Train overnight, minibus and speedboat. The, camping two weeks. If you want the last and best Thailand has to offer, you have to work for it.

If you can pay a more, Im tossing out Koh Kood as well - just dont bother with the south for three days even if that includes two addl days transit. You want to go to Trat.